General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Why did you ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Why did you ?

WHY... did I buy a Monte? Cause Monte = cool!

I wanted a 4th gen SS Monte since they were new. I couldn't afford one. For one reason I got fired from my 8.5 year job in 1987 cause I ruined my right hand at work.

Fast forward to late 1990s, I bought a monte but still didn't own one. My girlfriend needed a car bad so I gave the Monte I did buy to her. She still owns the car buy the way and I still have her.

So with no job and no bank roll to fall back on cause I spent all of it to put myself through college..... my parents bought my car for me. Yeah I know all about having mommy & daddy buying your car for you.

But I seriously wanted an '81 - 88 Monte and couldn't afford any of them out there for sale. So my girlfriend happen to see this abused '86 LS setting down the street from the part time job I had at the time. I drove the car and wanted it. So yes mommy & daddy came to the rescue and I'd like to think I rescued this car from further abuse.

I've done my best to piece it back together. I love driving the car and taking it to car shows.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi R.J. & welcome 2 the Forum.
EnJoyed reading your post & U R lucky 2
have parents that help. Post some pic's when
you can.....Safe/Happy miles 2 U

`SpaceRider

Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM

OK OK i guess i can say my story in here also.

Hi I'm Mickey and I'm a Monte addict. (sorry AA humor there)

anyway. I have owned 8 78 Monte Carlos in my life. yes i meant to put the number 8 there.
I used to love the old cameras and have had several of them but the Monte was the Dav. most of the time they were used as drivers or bracket cars. pretty much i would buy one and keep it as a driver till the car i was racing at that time was starting to lose then i would build the new one better then the old one and sell if off to the kids in the area for street racing or what ever.

fast froward some to about 2000 i had yet another 78 Monte Carlo . and just had been married and had a ton of debit. so i spent what i could when i could on my car. we peaced it back to gather with the help of some of my good old racing buddies and allot of favors that i called in to get it ready to be what ti thought a Monte should be.
when done i took it to the track one last time . on D.O.T. tires it ran its first pass of 10.05. and i thought i had done pretty good so i went home about a month later we had worked on it some more and i added some slicks to it this time that were borrowed off of a Friends cutlass. we ran a first pass of 9.80 so we went back and tried to tun it out some more. by the end of the day and with the help of the tree gods i ran a full best time pass on the car with a 8.99. i had ran what i wanted to do for a daily driven street car i had accomplished what i though tit could do and was real proud.

then we got orders to Alabama to Maxwell AFB or for those who don't know it was to Montgomery AL.
with in 3 months of being there my was broke in to. they stole the stereo out of it. and when i called the law their exact words were (be glad they didn't take the whole car, around here most of the time they dint care if it has a stereo in it they will take the whole thing.. )

Yeah i was happy about this.

so i was on the road doing my trucking thing and received a phone call from my wife. they had stole the car. it was less then a month after the stereo came up missing on it.

so i did the paper work and the wife made me promise i would not get another Monte Carlo as long as we lived in Montgomery.
So i swore to her i would not do it. but i had already had a line up of one in a different state for when we moved. (it is still sitting on the farm waiting for me to come get it)

about 3 years passed i believe? anyway. she ended up getting orders to Korea. all we had to drive was a mini van and i refused to drive it. kids or no kids i was not going to touch that thing as a daily driver.

so about two weeks before she left for Korea she called me and said she was going to be home late due to something at the office. said OK i was tired and would see her when she got home but was going to bed.

she comes in the door later and don't say a word to me.
till morning. she looks at me and says she had forgot her uniforms in the car and asked if i would go out and get them while she was in the shower. so i went and got the keys and went out to the "van" now at this point i was real upset someone had taken our parking place. so i hit the panic button on the van keys as i turned around looking for it. needless to say i had to change again when the Monte Carlo went nuts. She had gotten it for me due to me refusing to drive the van and her leaving. for a year so it was me alone with the kids for the next 12 month by my self. but i had a brand sparking new car sitting there for me to drive.

she left two weeks later and to this day i don't think she has drove it more then 4 times lol

after she left the car went threw hurricane Ivan and i was just sick to see the tree on top of my new car. (go out to my cardomain site to see photos )
but all is well the car had minimal damage done to it and they fixed her up good as new. now she is here in Germany with me and plans are to

Old 07-26-2006, 02:31 AM

i wish i could take mine out on the autobahn one good time

Old 07-26-2006, 04:08 AM

yeah i hear ya i thought the same thing till after i have been here for a while. still fun to go out and pin it' s ears back once in a while. but not what it is cracked up to be.

Next month or so were going to the nurmim burg ring now that should be a fun day for the club also. 18euro and you can run around the track one lap . for get the what the unlimited is. but it is only 100miles from the hosue so about a hours drive or so.

but if the laws over here keep goign the way they are the no limit will be a thing of the past. they keep talking about it but havent done it yet.
Germany is the only place like it right now the rest of europue is limited to 130klm or about 80 mph.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:12 PM

i would be happy with 80 it almost seems like thats where my monte likes to cruise at anyways

Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mickey, I enjoyed reading your post about your life, travels, family & the love of Monte's. Thanks for sharing. Oh, I lost the first sig/pic of your Monte & had 2 re-do. I like your new headlights, but I would never attempt to do mine, myself. Peace/Happiness 2 U
`SpaceRider

Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 PM

Yeah, man... good story.

I agree...80mph at about 2500rpm is my monte's comfort zone. She's definitely a cruiser.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

Hi Mickey, I enjoyed reading your post about your life, travels, family & the love of Monte's. Thanks for sharing. Oh, I lost the first sig/pic of your Monte & had 2 re-do. I like your new headlights, but I would never attempt to do mine, myself. Peace/Happiness 2 U
`SpaceRider
thanks, you asked for it LOL

actually they really were not that bad, the best advice i can say is cut slow the better you cut the better you have somethign there to glue back togeather .

if you get another set send them to me ill do them for ya LOL but it mioght be cheaper just to do them your self. go to the bone yard and get one out of a car there. even if ya only find one you can look for the other one late.r
or get somethign to practice on

Old 08-06-2006, 12:20 AM

I bought my Monte because after looking at a few cars and then Test Driving the 05 SS, i felt this car was absolutely SOLID. Great car for me because its Sporty AND Classy and i try to represent myself that way. Originally i was looking at the Pontiac Solstice, but driving into the GM Lot the SS caught my eye and i never looked back. Now having found this site i'm even happier because it seems like a tight community here and i've already learned a lot and look forward to learn more with you all!

TOM

Quick Reply: Why did you ?