General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Whining noise when i turn

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

also, i believe it is on the passengers side. i remember looking for it on my friends "intimidator"

Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM

yes when you look at the motor from the front its on the left side/passenger side in the back.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 AM

find the alternator, and look straight down at the bottom of your motor. You may have to move the coolant overflow container to get a better view of it. Its a pain to get back on when you take it off because you cant see the two bolts that hold it in place....Ive had to take it off and put it on twice. (once for the water pump last year, and just this past weekend to replace the power steering pump all together)

Old 12-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
*UPDATE*

I stopped by the Chevy Dealership, a new mechanic there told me that it would be 190.00 just to go under the hood. wow!
he was honest and said i should better go to "Jiffy Lube" IDK, if you guys have heard of them. So i will go to them, since I already have the pump.
Anyways, i asked him to show me where the reservoir was since i never found it >.<
He said it was underneath and it would have to go in the lift to take a look, but i wasn't willing to pay that much tonight.
So i while this is annoying and will have to wait for now.
Oh i've heard of Jiffy Lube...DO NOT GO THERE! They scam people into doing things all the time (like transmission flushes, fuel filters, air filters, etc....) And half the time charge for the work and don't do it. I've seen video's of people who marked their old fuel filter, and looked after it was supposedly changed, and it wasn't. One of my ex girlfriends took her brand new at the the time car to Jiffy lube for its second oil change it had (7,000 miles on it) Those snakes suckered her into thinking she needed a transmission flush on her new car. (I can assure you they probably didn't even do it, just charged her the $170 for it.

Not to mention, Jiffy Lube is an oil change place, not a mechanic. I would not trust them to change my oil let alone install a power steering pump. Either do it yourself, or take it to a mechanic you trust to install it. NO quick lube places....

And everyone else has already said where the pummp is located. Its under the alternator. In the General Tech part of the forum a member recently just posted step by step instructions on changing the power steering pump, check it out.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will definitely check for that thread.
Thank you guys, i will steer away from Jiffy lube.
I already have the pump, this weekend i am having it fixed. ^.^
Thanks again guys.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Default besides avoiding Jiffy Lube

Speaking of places like Jiffy Lube (that recommend transmission flushes, etc. that are unnecessary), we avoid Cottman Transmissions shops for the same reason. Recommend all kinds of work that is not just unwarranted but waaay over priced. I guess a lot of those chains get directives from headquarters to push certain "fixes" to get the bottom line up.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM

LOL sounds like something i would have said : )

Old 12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

another *update*

Took my Monte to my mechanic, and look at the Power Steering fluid, of course it was low. We added fluid and the whining noise went away!! Wooo!
He said to take it back tomorrow so he can check the level to see if leaks.
Again, thanks guys very much. I think the thing that worried me was the fact that it could have been something major, i am glad to be a part of this forum, you are all full of knowledge and expertise.. i am learning about this car slowly.
Oh and Michael, lol i didn't go to jiffy. ^.^

Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 AM

same thing was wrong with Brittany car when i met her so i filled it up and boom way way better! Also her car has like 22 psi in LF tire and 19psi in RF tire. lol so i told her it would feel like a new car ans steer way way easier LOL and it did!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Thats cool, glad it was a simple fix...

Make sure you take it back to be looked at, because if its losing fluid then you're leaking somewhere, and should get that fixed. Otherwise, if it stays at the right level, you are set!

Quick Reply: Whining noise when i turn