General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What's in the Trunk of your Monte Carlo ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question What's in the Trunk of your Monte Carlo ?

Hi Member's,
What do you have, carry in the `Trunk of your
Chevrolet Monte Carlo ?

Monster Speaker's ? '
Any of the below items ?
Please post & share what you have

================================================== ===============================
10 things that should always be in your car

Essential items that drivers should keep in their vehicles, because a blown tire could turn into an overnight stay in a desolate location.

By Evan Griffey of MSN Autos

It's inevitable: Cars break down. In fact, the Automobile Association of America, the largest emergency roadside assistance organization in the country, handles between 29 and 30 million roadside calls for help each year from motorists stranded on America's highways and byways. While most mishaps can be handled with little trouble (AAA says that 3 out of 5 assistance calls it receives are fixed on location without the need for a tow), others are a little trickier because aid isn't nearby or is "closed for the evening." Waiting time for a helping hand to arrive in these situations varies greatly depending on where you are, as well as on road and weather conditions.
It's important to follow the Boy Scouts' motto while on the road: Be prepared! That means putting together an emergency road kit and carrying it around with you.
Watch Video: How to Prepare for a Roadside Emergency
The simple solution

Click to enlarge picture

For those who want to take the thought process out of building a kit on your own, there are plenty of prepackaged auto safety kits on the market. The manufacturers have done all the thinking for you, but they are predominantly "get back on the road" type of kits, serving as a good foundation for you to personalize.
For instance, a kit from Justin Case includes a flashlight, two D-cell batteries, a polyester blanket, emergency poncho, 12-volt air compressor, 12-foot jumper cables, 12-foot tow rope, two bungee cords, a stainless multitool, a pair of latex gloves, a roll of duct tape and a 54-piece first aid kit.
Some prepackaged kits have more tools, some more medical supplies; some are aimed at winter and some are more survival-based. Prices range from around $30 to $85.
Bing: Find a Car Emergency Kit
Do it yourself

Click to enlarge picture

Creating your own kit is the best way to make sure you have everything you need if stranded. Picking a bag or container is the first step to making your own kit. Consider putting Velcro on the bottom of the bag or container to keep it from sliding around in the trunk. The best thing about the DIY kit is that you can tailor it to your specific needs, taking into account the number of people in your family, the climate where you live and your mechanical capabilities. It may make sense to put together a kit for the driver and a special, secondary package with key items for the rest of the family. The secondary kit can be packed with baggage when the family goes on an extended road trip.
Read: How to Handle a Real Auto Emergency
The basics

Click to enlarge picture

Whether you are simply trying to get back on the road after a blowout or trying to survive a night in the elements because your transmission seized in the middle of nowhere, there are a few must-have items for every emergency kit that can make the experience of getting stranded palatable — or at least survivable.
The first two are easy: a collection of basic tools and an easy-to-follow automobile fix-it guide — that is, if you don't have grease in your veins and can't strip down an engine in your sleep. These items will probably keep a minor problem from stranding you on the side of the road for very long and will get you to a fully stocked repair shop or auto parts store for a more complete repair job.
The following items might be the difference between spending a few inconvenient hours away from civilization and your passengers measuring you up for the Donner Party treatment until help arrives.
Read: 15 Patchwork Repairs
Food

Click to enlarge picture

Fresh fruit and deli meat are probably not ideal for long-term storage, but survival food bars can provide the caloric intake you need to keep your strength up and hunger pains from driving you nuts. Rated in the 200- to 400-calorie range, high-calorie fitness bars are a few steps below emergency food rations but provide ample long-term energy. The bottom line is that a box or two of your favorite granola bars will easily fill short-term needs. Remember, nonperishable items that are individually packaged will last longer.
Bing: Stock Up on Survival Food and MREs
Water

Click to enlarge picture

Water is essential for survival. The choice here is how much to pack: a few one-liter bottles or a family-style 2.5-gallon water briefcase? Space is the limiting factor. Freshness is also a concern, so be prepared to swap out both water and food items. You can do it quarterly on the equinoxes and solstices, or semiannually on New Year's Eve and the Fourth of July.
Do you carry an emergency roadside kit in your vehicle?
Clothing

Click to enlarge picture

Warm and waterproof are the key words here. Fleece garments are great for warmth, and a windbreaker of some sort will help retain heat and repel water if you are out in the elements. A shirt and a pair of sweatpants make sense as well. Survival ponchos are also good.
Watch Video: Get Ready for Winter Driving
Flashlight

Click to enlarge picture

You can roll with a conventional battery-operated flashlight or go for a specialized emergency unit that requires no batteries. These use kinetic energy via a hand crank or shaking mechanism. Many of these products are multitaskers, featuring radios, flashing hazard lights, alert sirens, glass-breaking hammer tips and seatbelt cutters, as well as cell phone charging. If you go the conventional flashlight route, remember to swap in new batteries when you change out your food and water.
Jumper cables

Click to enlarge picture

Dead batteries are one of the main reasons motorists find themselves on the sidelines. There are two distinct choices in revival equipment: jumper cables or a portable charging box. The jumper box deletes the need for another vehicle but it is both bigger and considerably heavier than traditional jumper cables. Jumper boxes are self-contained batteries that are recharged via household current and have jumper cables on the business end.
Read: Six Driving Tips Every Young Driver Needs to Know
First-aid kit

Click to enlarge picture

Some new vehicles come from the factory with a basic first-aid kit already installed, but there are plenty of basic first-aid solutions for older vehicles. Drivers need to consider what type of first aid supplies beyond adhesive bandages and aspirin are needed. Things such as sterile dressings, 4-by-4-inch nonadhesive bandages, gauze, anti-bacterial ointment, an irrigation syringe and a waterproof storage bag are a good starting point.
Additional tools

Click to enlarge picture

First and foremost, be sure your vehicle has a good spare tire, a proper jack and a lug wrench that fits. If you have wheel-lock lugs, make sure you have the key in the car at all times. A roll of duct tape is also a good idea. These items will beef up a basic tool kit — something that can fix a loose hose or reattach a thrown belt, etc. — but keep in mind we're not expecting to swap a tranny on the side of the road.
Bing: Find a Car Tool Kit
Blanket

Click to enlarge picture

You can pack an extra wool or polyester blanket from the linen closet or go the survival route and get a heat reflective Mylar blanket that retains 80 to 90 percent of your radiant body heat. The emergency blankets are great space savers and only cost around $2 to $4 each.
Lighter

Click to enlarge picture

Be ready to "Flick Your Bic" if necessary. Most of us do not have the skills of "Man vs. Wild"'s Bear Grylls or "Survivor Man"'s Les Stroud, so making fire by hand is probably not in your repertoire. Packing a simple butane lighter will help your odds if you find yourself out of the car and in the elements. Do not burn candles in your car; the fire danger and carbon monoxide poisoning potential is too great. Besides, if you have planned well you will not need a candle for warmth or light.
Read: IIHS Top Safety Picks for 2010
Tow rope

Click to enlarge picture

In a pinch, a tow rope can get you out of a jam before you have to cozy up in that snowdrift. It does require a willing partner (i.e., a vehicle capable of pulling you out), but the upside potential of dodging this bullet makes it worthy of inclusion in your emergency kit.
Do you carry an emergency roadside kit in your vehicle?
Visit MSN Autos' "Exhaust Notes" blog and keep up to date on all things automotive.

Last edited by Space; 03-05-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 AM
Talking >Your Turn to Post< LOL<

Prefers Monte Carlo Trunks

They are larger & more comfortable
=========================

Or a Place for the Kids

Last edited by Space; 03-05-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't keep crap in my trunk! Or at least not the BudChev's trunk. I got a cargo net, some detailer w/ a microfiber cloth and I keep my car cover in there. That is it. Of course, the spare is under the floor. And even that comes out when I'm going to the track (dead weight). I don't like crap tumbling around my trunk or anywhere else in my car. To keep it clean, I keep it empty

Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Prefers Monte Carlo Trunks

They are larger & more comfortable
=========================

Or a Place for the Kids
Hay Space, That's a poor use of space. If you fold them right, you can fit 4 of these in your Monte's trunk and still have room for your Groceries!

Last edited by Space; 03-05-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My 97 had a bunch of junk. Had 2 breakdown kits, school work, text books and other junk and my sub. My 04 just has a fold up chair and a bag with my detailing stuff.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

My trunk is completely fiberglass ed in with 2 12" JR subs so that's all that goes in the trunk lol

Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM

A complete l67, if you remove the spare it fits perfect lol

Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Trunk
Name:  gtcars-cca-show-june17132.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  109.2 KB
Back seat folded down

I put the subs, speakers and the amps in when the Monte was less than a week old. I had to wait a couple months before replacing the head unit, so I could get the proper interface.
I've upgraded head unit a couple times since and the last upgrade was door speakers.
So, now:
Alpine head unit, with Digital processor, HD Radio, 6 pack CD, Bluetooth & iPhone + steering wheel control
Lanstar1 Interface- door chimes, retained power and OnStar all work, but not through the radio.
6 x Pioneer GM-5100T amps, one for each of 6 outputs.
Door speakers- Hertz MLK-165
Rear Deck speaks- Pioneer 4 way 6x9
Subs- Kicker CVR-15's
Mounting the subs free-air was part of the SQ design, the system is made for sound quality, not for loudness or for thump.
Upgraded power cables, a couple big Caps and a Optima Deep Cycle Battery.

And, I have a small first aid kit and jumper cables in the trunk.

Last edited by TomF106SS; 03-05-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Right now I have 2 dryer sheets in the trunk

Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks Member's for posting, sharing

Tom, super clean installation > Looks Awesome Thanks for posting/sharing
================================================
LOL Admin `Mike, dryer sheets are great to help absorb moisture 4-Sure...Great Truck addition

> Is good for when you store your Monte
http://www.damprid.com/ < Click `if U want to learn more (Your Choice)

Last edited by Space; 03-05-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: What's in the Trunk of your Monte Carlo ?