General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What were you first 5 Monte mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, this is tough to remember the order;

1) Turbo Thrush mufflers (then I discovered Magnaflow)
2) 50 series tires
3) Vibrant tips
4) Painted red bowtie on steering wheel
5) SS tire valve caps

Had to change 1 & 3, poor choices... Real performance mods came in the next batch of 10 or so... Interesting to see where we all started... After initially researching this forum, I have had a solid plan ever since... By the way, mods 1 & 3 were done before joining forum...

Last edited by Crusader SS; 01-22-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

On the 2000,
Kenwood front speakers
CAI
Interior lights
Wheels/tires
Headers

The 86 was a bit different.

Headers
Weiand team g intake
Holley 850 carb
Drag radials
Exhaust

Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 PM

I like this idea, sounds fun!

Keep in mind, I was 16, first car, it was 2000 (Fast & Furious was still the big thing).

Here it goes in chronological order:

1. Wheels. Man did I have bad taste, I got some 16" Limited Alloy chrome wheels. They were so bad, I had to attach a pic (bottom of the post).

2. Window tint - 20% in the back, 35% on the sides. Ended up redoing the back to 5% (needs redone again now), but the sides still look great even though they're a little lighter than I'd like nowadays

3. Streetglow underbody blue neon kit. Looked cool, but almost never used it. Because of F&F, lots of people had them, and cops were crazy about pulling people over for it - so I was always too scared to drive with them on. Also a bit of the pain w/ broken bulbs here and there.

4. Pioneer radio - DEHP6400 (was stolen in the break in years ago). Definitely liked that radio- and probably would still have it today if it didn't get stolen. I do have a newer Pioneer Premier deck to put in, but haven't bothered with it since getting the engine running again is more important.

5. "Custom" sub install. This was when I thought I'd start getting creative. I bought 2x 10" Pioneer subs, and a 200 watt Jensen 2 channel amp. I did a rather nice wiring job (for being 16)- mounted the amp on the flip down seat, and it all looked rather good for amp install #1; but I thought I'd never hear the subs in the trunk. So I took the 6x9s out of the rear deck (thinking the rear deck was flat, and that I could just cut 10" holes). When that didn't work out, I mounted them to two pieces of 1/2" MDF, and then drilled 3 bolt holes through each MDF piece and the rear deck to secure the subs below the deck. That way the subs were shooting through the 6x9 holes.

I didn't understand sound at all at the time- it sounded awful (looking back that is). I didn't seal the MDF to the rear deck, so the sound could leak between the MDF and rear deck (MDF was spaced down with washers to give the sub cone room to move). Plus, they weren't free air subs, so they weren't designed to be run like that at all.

This is the kind of amp I had, with the little sliding window for the controls:

Luckily, we're supposed to stop at 5 mods. Not too long after, the next mods included things like the light up exhaust tip, huge aluminum wing, 'ram air' filter setup, strobe lights in the vents, and all kinds of other great mods

Oh yeah, and a pic of the wheels I got for my monte:

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-23-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

Luckily, we're supposed to stop at 5 mods. Not too long after, the next mods included things like the light up exhaust tip, huge aluminum wing, 'ram air' filter setup, strobe lights in the vents, and all kinds of other great mods
Light up exhaust tips?! Did they increase brightness when you revved up the engine? That would be an interesting effect. You sound like a lighting guy like me.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 PM

1.Tint
2.FWI
3.Headers
4.Removed Cat +new mufflers
5.smaller pulley

Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Light up exhaust tips?! Did they increase brightness when you revved up the engine? That would be an interesting effect.
Nope. It was actually a really crappy tip. Reminded me of a rotary phone dial- or one of those old school pencil sharpeners.

The problem is they used LED lights that shot straight out the holes in the back. Since LEDs are so directional- you could see it for blocks if you were dead on behind the car (way further than the taillights would shine), but there was almost no glow out the slots, and you couldn't really see it standing next to it since the LEDs were recessed deep in the tip.

Here's a pic:

Name:  100_0014.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  132.7 KB

You sound like a lighting guy like me.
Used to be. I used to think that was the coolest thing.

Other than the underbody kit, I only had one other semi-tasteful use of neons:

Name:  100_0025.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  65.1 KB

Sitting in the car, or looking in from the outside- you couldn't see the neon on top, it just had a nice glow over the amps. The exposed tube had a soft lightning like look, and I had a strobe on each side. It was a little tacky, but not a terrible looking install for being 17.

I also had light up pedals too:

Name:  100_0043.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  15.6 KB

Some other random lighting shots:

Name:  100_0041.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  15.7 KB

Name:  100_0046.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  20.8 KB

Name:  100_0044.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  24.7 KB

I had all kinds of lights:

Streetglow strobes in the headlights and reverse lights.
Streetglow underbody kit.
Streetglow LED exhaust tip.
Streetglow light up pedals.
Pair of ~6" thin line Streetglow lights- one in front of the gauges, the other in the HVAC controls.
Pair of ~6" thin line Streetglow lights in the rear seat area, about shoulder level (later moved these under the side covers of my Earthquake D2 and later D3 amps when they were mounted on my custom rear deck).
Strobes in the center HVAC vents.
2nd underbody light kit- 1 long tube where the bottom of the back seat meets the carpet, 1 long tube in the trunk (shown), and had a shorty on the rear deck before I redid it.
Also had 2 normal ~18" tubes that used to sit next to the driver and passenger seat on the floor, eventually moved these into cutouts in the bottom of my custom door panels, so the doors would have the 'underbody' neon effect when you opened them.
For awhile, I even had those blinking lights that screw onto your tire valve stems, but didn't run them often because they would blink blue while spinning, and you couldn't turn them off.

Yeah, definitely a bit overkill... Most of it is off the car now. It still has the underbody kit (not sure what I'm gonna do with it- probably just take it off if I ever break a bulb), still has the light on the gauges and the one in the HVAC controls, and the strobe bulbs are still in the HVAC vents (but I cut the wires- I left them in so I didn't have to bother filling the ~3/4" holes in the vents.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-23-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Hmm,
Licence plate fliller,
Headlight covers,
Tinted tails with knights crest in them
Painted engine cover,
Painted guage bezel,

Only real perf mod 3in catless down pipe from w-body store

Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Nope. It was actually a really crappy tip. Reminded me of a rotary phone dial- or one of those old school pencil sharpeners.

The problem is they used LED lights that shot straight out the holes in the back. Since LEDs are so directional- you could see it for blocks if you were dead on behind the car (way further than the taillights would shine), but there was almost no glow out the slots, and you couldn't really see it standing next to it since the LEDs were recessed deep in the tip.

Here's a pic:

Used to be. I used to think that was the coolest thing.

Other than the underbody kit, I only had one other semi-tasteful use of neons:

Sitting in the car, or looking in from the outside- you couldn't see the neon on top, it just had a nice glow over the amps. The exposed tube had a soft lightning like look, and I had a strobe on each side. It was a little tacky, but not a terrible looking install for being 17.

I also had light up pedals too:

Some other random lighting shots:

I had all kinds of lights:

Streetglow strobes in the headlights and reverse lights.
Streetglow underbody kit.
Streetglow LED exhaust tip.
Streetglow light up pedals.
Pair of ~6" thin line Streetglow lights- one in front of the gauges, the other in the HVAC controls.
Pair of ~6" thin line Streetglow lights in the rear seat area, about shoulder level (later moved these under the side covers of my Earthquake D2 and later D3 amps when they were mounted on my custom rear deck).
Strobes in the center HVAC vents.
2nd underbody light kit- 1 long tube where the bottom of the back seat meets the carpet, 1 long tube in the trunk (shown), and had a shorty on the rear deck before I redid it.
Also had 2 normal ~18" tubes that used to sit next to the driver and passenger seat on the floor, eventually moved these into cutouts in the bottom of my custom door panels, so the doors would have the 'underbody' neon effect when you opened them.

Yeah, definitely a bit overkill...
I have some CCFL's on my amp that I have to work on hiding the wiring. I would put LED's in the tip so it would light up the exhaust stream. Use an rvdt with the TPS. The neatest thing I'v plade with is EL wire. If your still into playing with lighting you should try it. I still have more lights to work on.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 PM

So i guess that makws us the same age . When do you turn 30?
I like this idea, sounds fun!

Keep in mind, I was 16, first car, it was 2000 (Fast & Furious was still the big thing).

Here it goes in chronological order:

1. Wheels. Man did I have bad taste, I got some 16" Limited Alloy chrome wheels. They were so bad, I had to attach a pic (bottom of the post).

2. Window tint - 20% in the back, 35% on the sides. Ended up redoing the back to 5% (needs redone again now), but the sides still look great even though they're a little lighter than I'd like nowadays

3. Streetglow underbody blue neon kit. Looked cool, but almost never used it. Because of F&F, lots of people had them, and cops were crazy about pulling people over for it - so I was always too scared to drive with them on. Also a bit of the pain w/ broken bulbs here and there.

4. Pioneer radio - DEHP6400 (was stolen in the break in years ago). Definitely liked that radio- and probably would still have it today if it didn't get stolen. I do have a newer Pioneer Premier deck to put in, but haven't bothered with it since getting the engine running again is more important.

5. "Custom" sub install. This was when I thought I'd start getting creative. I bought 2x 10" Pioneer subs, and a 200 watt Jensen 2 channel amp. I did a rather nice wiring job (for being 16)- mounted the amp on the flip down seat, and it all looked rather good for amp install #1; but I thought I'd never hear the subs in the trunk. So I took the 6x9s out of the rear deck (thinking the rear deck was flat, and that I could just cut 10" holes). When that didn't work out, I mounted them to two pieces of 1/2" MDF, and then drilled 3 bolt holes through each MDF piece and the rear deck to secure the subs below the deck. That way the subs were shooting through the 6x9 holes.

I didn't understand sound at all at the time- it sounded awful (looking back that is). I didn't seal the MDF to the rear deck, so the sound could leak between the MDF and rear deck (MDF was spaced down with washers to give the sub cone room to move). Plus, they weren't free air subs, so they weren't designed to be run like that at all.

This is the kind of amp I had, with the little sliding window for the controls:

Oh yeah, and a pic of the wheels I got for my monte:

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 PM

1. Head unit and speakers
2. Red Interior
3. 2 12" Kenwoods in the trunk
4. Horrible excuse for a hood scoop
5. Flat black hood and trunk

Took me awhile to get around to the engine but I'll give you my first 5 performance mods as well

1. ZZP 2.5" DP
2. Gutted intake box
3. Gutted intake runners
4. Port and polished TB
5. Ported/Gasket matched heads and LIM

Quick Reply: What were you first 5 Monte mods?