General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What Should I Do First?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What Should I Do First?

I recently acquired a Posh '04 Monte with 68,000 Miles on her. Seems in good shape with pretty frequent Oil Changes and New Pad and Rotors all-around. This is my first decent ride after my daughter totaled my Maxima!

I'd like a list of things to check and evaluate and anything I should know about a Monte approaching 70K.

I'm talented enough in the wrenching department to do the work by myself. I'd just like to hear from REAL Monte worshipers about what I should do for stuff like Shocks, Plugs and other needed maintenance before doing performance Mods. The '04 my wife presented me with has a Vinyl Top that makes if look like a convertible (snaps on the rail) ... and the initials "CE" (I think) on the Vinyl Top on the outside of the Top between the door and quarter-light window.

What would YOU do if you were me with this ... anything I need to do immediately?

Thank you all,
Newbee ...

Rick Massey

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: What Should I Do First?

could we see picturs of this body style with a vinyl top? i have never seen anything like that. i can't think of anything off the top of my head, except myabe tires for the car.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member

I don't have a camera for a few days ... but, if it helps ... here's the VIN: 2G1WW12E549325366. Beige, with darker beige Vinyl Top that makes it look like a convertible. There are "Snaps" on the chrome strip holding-down the back-side of the top.

I'll have a picture to put-up in a day or two.

Rick

The PO said I'd be needing tires.
Santa is taking care of that ... for sure!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Welcome to the web site Rick.

The roof on your car sounds like one I saw on ebay this past weekend. This car was a '95-99 Monte though.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i think the vinyl top was something somebody did aftermarekt... i am almost positive it diddn't come with that

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM

I did what I could to look around and findout about the top.... to me, no records have been made of you being able to get one in a top like that. Im guessing its aftermartket. You have the 3.4 just like myself. Dont get me wrong, its not a slow engine, but, speed wise, were always behind the ball a little.

the first thing I did was make my car look better, by adding both front and back vinyl brows and the side windows red'ed out. I like them, some dont, some do. (look at pics)

Second, I put Dual flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my car with a resinator and Ubend delete. Helped me some with horsepower, but gave my car a new look and an amazing sound!

thirdly, I wanted to be able to beat the casual stock eclipses and little hondas running around like they own the road here... so I got a few things to help. I got a Jetship Fuel Programmer to help my air to fuel ratio.

Then soon after, picked myself up a K&N Wizair cold air Intake with the 9" cone. That alone made my car sound much deeper from the exhaust and although I didnt notice lower RPM help, the higher RPMS skyrocketed me much faster.

I dressed it up a little more by getting my headlight and tail light covers, some Matrix seat covers, then dropped some underglow to it. Overal, Im happy, but, Im done messing with the engine for now. maybe in the future if I can find a supercharger and a new hood I can modify Ill do that, but, my 3.4 is as fast as I can get it while not dropping a few grand more for little gains.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member

Vita:

Your front bumper is like mine. You have those louvered ovals where I want lights. Have you ever investigated what would fit those ovals to replace those louvered space-fillers? I'l like a set of road lamps but will settle for fog lights if that's all that will go in without having to Mickey Mouse anything or start cutting away plastic to make "Something else fit".

Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Congrats on the new Monte, I'm sure you will fall in love with her, if you haven't already.

If the car came with the owner's manual/maintenance checklist do all things required for 60,000 and 75,000 mile checklists. Better safe than sorry.

The folks on here won't steer you wrong when it comes to mods for your car. That top sounds very unique, can't wait to see pics of it!