General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2004 Bumper Mounted Fog Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2004 Bumper Mounted Fog Lights.

My Monte Carlo does not have Fog Lights (OEM PartNo. 10430337 & 104303378) The right and left lower spaces for these lights has a louvered inserts instead of the Light Assembly.
Does anyone know if the wiring and attachment parts are on this Plain Vanilla Monte ... or, ... can I go after-market and get a pair of fog light or road lamps to install in those two spaces without going all DisneyLand and having to Mickey Mouse something in there.

I'd like to have a pair of Road lights that will come on with my High Beams (or Low) ... and give me some extra light ... not to mention I really don't like the "Look" of having a Blanking Part in place of where an accessory part should live.

What's a good looking substitute if you have done it?
Where do I find the Lights to fit if you know a good source?

Thanks Monte lovers:
Rick Massey
Billerica, Massachusetts
'
'04 Monte 2G1WW12E54 932566

Old 12-04-2007, 04:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 2004 Bumper Mounted Fog Lights.

well i've notcied by watching the light on my fog light button... when you turn on your high beams with the stock set up, the fog lights go off... i don't know where you can find lights. i imagine the silver stars could cut thru fog very well if you actually need them for their intended purpose. they are placed that low to cut under the fog, thats why they aren't up higher. they are really intended to be run without your headlights on, because headlights just distort the fog... they are really mean't to be run with just hte parking lights so those lights cut thru the fog to help you see. if tis really foggy, you may notice you can see better with your low beams than you can with your high beams (if tis dark of coourse). this is why.. your lights need to be lower...

I know this doesnt' answer your question, but I just wanted to point that out about having high bemas on with fog lamps. Space has some link to a GM Parts market that sells GM stuff cheap, hope he reads this post

Old 12-05-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I really don't need them for Fog. I need them for nighttime running along the highway. Ideally, I'll find a set of aftermarkert oval-shaped Road Lamps to fit those silly-looking louvered cover-up's that detract from the exteriors appearance.

If I can't find a set that is MADE to fit there and wont require additional material to be removed to fit them ... I'm goind to come-up with some plann to cover-up the louvers ... even if I have to get some large-enough "White" reflectors from a Bicycle Store and contour them to fit over the louvers and glue them on the front.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 AM

rick - i went round and round with this and heres what i found out and what ive done to my 2000

MOUNTING LIGHTS - there is almost nothing down there in your bumper to mount lights to. what there is though on all bumper weather or not they recived fog lights is 3 little tabs for the factory light to mount to. as far as i can tell any aftermarket light would have to be mickey mouse'd to the bumper cover, difficult to position, and i would imagine it would bounce around more than a factory light as you go down the road. WHAT I DID - bought a set of factory fog light assemblies

SWITCH, AND WIRING - the factory switch is a momentary signal switch to the bcm which controls factory fog lights. there is a pigtail inside of your dash for the factory fog light switch. i do NOT know if that wiring connects to the bcm. i do NOT know if a bcm in a car not originally equiped with fog lights could control fog lights. i do NOT know, but seriously doubt that there are output wires for foglights leaving the bcm. i do know that there are NOT pigtails/connectors or any wiring for foglights in the bumper/front lighting wiring harness. WHAT I DID - picked up power from the park lamp fuse, ran that to a rocker switch i mounted in the factory switch location. with power from that switch i operate a relay to power the lights. btw i belive i ran my wiring through the firewall along side the hood release cable.

my parts list - pair of factory fog lights, factory clips attaching lights to bumper(not required, but makes life easy) pair of pigtails for lights, rocker switch, relay (15amp or greater), wiring(load carrying wires should be of atleast same gauge as pigtail wires)

appearance - from the front end it looks factory, cause it is. inside - use a switch that doesnt stand out like a sore thumb and noone will notice. under the hood - use some extra length of wire so that you can route it out of sight, and/or some wire loom. in the end its not going to look factory but only you and other monte owners would know any different

results - better than factory, imo. the way that i wired mine i can leave the rocker switch on, the fogs stay off when the DRL's are on, but turn on when the headlights/park lamps are on. best of all they stay on when you use your high beams.