General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Default What should i do?

Ok i have a 1995 monte carlo ls, and it has 157,352 miles on it. Now what i was wondering if when i get christmas money and my tax money back should i trade vehicles for either a 99 monte z34 or a 2000+ SS, or should i get some eagle 077s, but i dont know if its worth getting rims on a car that already has 150,000+ on it. and what year of 2000+ monte ss should i try and get of i decide to get that over a 99 z34
thanks mike

Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: What should i do?

I seriously doubt if you wanted a new-er Monte any car lot new or used would give you much for your Monte as a trade in.

Sure when they do the paperwork it'll LOOK like they gave you say $1500 for your car. But in reality you gave the car to them.

If you're serious about getting a new-er car, then it's probably better to try and sell your car, yourself.

As for putting new wheels/tires on your car only you can decide if it's worth it? How much do you like your car? Not that I like to tell people this but my '86 Monte has 200,000 miles on the body. It was majorly abused by the guy I bought it from. He had to have the engine changed cause he damaged it. I found the receipt in the glove box where he paid $850 to have an engine put in. H--l I'd have done the job for $400.

My point here is I wouldn't think twice about putting new wheels/tires on the car if I wanted. I happen to like the stock wheels the car has. Now tires is another story. The Firestone Firehawk SS tires on there now have been on the car since june, 2000. So some new skins are probably going to happen next summer.

Nothing wrong with the Firestone SS tires on there now. No visible wear or marks. Just their age.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 PM

he's right they wont give you much on a trade, save your xmas money and tax money for a down payment on a 2000+ss, depending on your situation on your car, if its paid off, or you own on it, you would be better off selling it , good luck on any decision you make

o btw polaris? what kind of 4 wheeler you got? i just baught a new 2006 polaris predator troy lee back in april or may off the showroom floor

Old 10-30-2006, 03:50 AM

thanks yeh and my car is paid off and i would sell it by myself if i sell it, and i would opt for a 04+ monte ss for the supercharger if i decide to go with that option

ps. thats a NICE 4-wheeler, i actually dont own any fourwheelers but i have 2- 2002 rmks with way to many mods to list lol

Old 10-30-2006, 10:00 AM

It proven that in the long run that if you keep your car and just repair and maintain routinely it will cost much less in the long run. I have a buddy that has a 78 Camaro with a 350 and has driven it year round since he's had it. He's bought it used and owned it 23 years He has over 500,000 miles on the car and it still looks relatively brand new. He's had to replace the headliner twice from droping problems, the dash once due to cracking, seats have been redone 3 times, carpet replaced once, a bunch of normal engine problems like starter, alternator, radiator hoses, shocks, etc all have been replaced. Engine was rebuilt once and had some mods done to it like a more agressive cam and engine bored out, and finally another paint job. Each modification has had either better materials, tolerances, or some kind of improvement over the original OEM equipment.

Overall he has about $3000 in a well tuned fast engine and a few thousand more on body external and internal work.

For all this he has a collector car in excellent condition (not quite mint) no problems at all in the car and has paid less than $15,000 for his car in the past 23 years worth of upkeep. This comes to less than $700 a year for his car for total purchase price and all maintainance - I know people that have paid more than that a month for their car loans. It gets about 16 MPG which isn't much, but still better than droping $24,000 on a new car. With the amount he drives, he pays about 2,500 a year lately in gas where a new car would be about 1300. this is a difference of 1,200. It just isn't worth it.

So to end this story, if you love your car and plan to maintain it, it will cost you less. If you are in love with the new body style and looking to upgrade the new car then go with the new one.