General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

what oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM

This change I put 5w-20 conventional Pennzoil High Mileage in with a Napa Gold filter and it works fine for me.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM

I always use Valvoline 10w-30 conventional in mine. I've heard that synthetic can be bad but I honestly don't have anything against it. I just like to change my oil every 3000miles because it gives me a chance to get under the car and check out other things while I'm down there. Plus I figure you have a better chance of catching a potential problem by doing it every 3000 rather than like 6000 such as a LIM gasket going to crap on you or any other problems you may encounter.

Last edited by burgundybullet; 01-29-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM

My dad always raised me to put synthetic in a car that has under 40k miles. after that you run a risk of leaks due to the rubbers and seals starting to expand. If you do it early enough synthetic is the way to go. But after about that 40k mile mark just stick with actual oil or you run risk of leaks

Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm switching over to synthetic on a car that will have 188,000 miles on it. Because I'm going to be putting in a CSC that will be spinning very fast and uses the same oil to lubricate it.

If anything is leaking, then it's a problem with the engine, not necessarily the oil. Sometimes may need to be replaced and the synthetic is just making it more apparent.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM

My recommendation for anyone switching from conventional to synthetic blend or full synthetic is to get your engine flushed out first to burn out the build up that motor have then proceed with your oil change

Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Decided to switch it up for my Monte's last oil change. 1qt of Rotella T6 5w40, 4qts Rotella T5 10w30.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:51 PM
Default Just bought my first 2001 chevy monte Carlos ss

Just bought my first ss and it's a bit of a fixer up I recent bought castrol gtx magnatec 5w 30 a good oil to use for it it's over 230,000 on the dash and been sitting for a lil? Ty

Old 04-03-2021, 06:26 AM

The best oil you can buy is Amsoil, but it is very pricey. On the independent comparison chart the oil right under it was Valvoline. I run 10w30 Synthetic in all my cars. Those with under 75K miles I use the regular synthetic. They actually put less lubrication in the high mileage oils so they don't go past the rings due to wear. Lately I have been finding very good deals on Pennzoil synthetic, which is very close to Valvoline. I use Boss filters. They are rated very high. When I catch Mobile One filters on sale I grab them.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
I use Castol GTX High Mileage part synthetic in the truck and Valvoline High Mileage non synthetic in my car. Car gets the oil changed every three months though and I rarely put miles on it I've put on a little over 2,000 miles since I bought it. The guys on the Ford forum are a tough crowd I'd told them i did an oil change with the oil and a K&N filter and its like the world just ended. A member told me he had cut open a K&N, Fram, Wix, Purolator and Motorcraft oil filters and the only one doing a good job was Motorcraft so everyone on there told me to only use Motorcraft oil and filters. Touchy guys there I've put 12,000 miles on my truck with no issues whatsoever. Forgot to mention the truck gets the oil changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.

Best Oil Filters 2021 – Buyer’s Guide and Reviews

by Anthony Becker | Last Updated March 20, 2021
We’re sure you’ve heard some form of the popular saying, ‘running like a well-oiled machine’?This cannot be truer when it comes to oil and your car. Simply put, if you don’t have oil then you’re car isn’t going to make it from point a to b.

We all know that engine oil is needed to keep your vehicles’ engine ticking over smoothly.

But did you know that an oil filter is a crucial component in this lubrication system?

As oil moves through your engine, it picks of debris, particles of metal and other contaminants. Over time, the oil will get more and more dirtier, and begin to lose its ability to clean and lubricate your engine, eventually causing permanent damage.

Hence, you need an oil filter to clean this oil and get your car purring like it was brand new.

Many manufacturers recommend getting a new oil filter every time you change your oil. This can be anywhere from 3,000 to over 15,000 miles. That’s a lot of miles, so it makes sense to get the best oil filter possible.

The problem is, not all oil filters are created equal… some will do a better job and do that job for longer.

Determining the best oil filter for your vehicle whether that be a car or truck, motorcycle or auto-racer, is no small feat. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you and have reviewed dozens of models to bring you the top ten best oil filters for 2021.

Without further ado, let’s begin!

Best Oil Filters 2021

1. Royal Purple Extended Life Oil FilterSynthetic
2. Purolator PurolatorOne Premium Oil Filter Blend
3. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter Synthetic
4. Bosch Premium FILTECH Oil Filter Blend
5. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter Synthetic
6. WIX Spin-On Lube Filter Synthetic
7. Motorcraft Oil Filter Cellulose
8. K&N Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter Cellulose
9. Baldwin Heavy Duty Lube Spin-On Filter Synthetic
10. ACDelco Professional Fuel Filter Cellulose

Last edited by GrayGhost1951; 04-03-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Default Rotella for me

Regardless of the endless debate, often with bogus facts, over the differences between synthetic and conventional oil it all boils down to 1 thing regardless of which type you prefer... the additive package contained in the oil. The additive package in the oil is what is behind the scene protecting your engine from thermal breakdown properties and antiwear agents. The MSDS for each brand is available for the public and if you truly want to see what's best amd not because it's the brand on your favorite ball cap get whats inside and compare across the board.

Quick Reply: what oil do you use?