General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What to do now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What to do now?

Well my car finally runs great ( most of the time haha)

So what should I do next, Id like to make my car faster, and I really dont feel like tearing it back down to do anything to it, Ive done that enough already. So what would you guys suggest?

Better diff/drag radials- My car only spins one tire, which scares me a bit.
Nitrous (75-100 shot)? - Be nice for when I race.
Intercooler- good amount of power all the time, but costs more, and Ill have to buy fuel rails and all the other stuff :/

Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Throttle body or cam, or IC of course. Don't go with slicks until you get a converter/trans that can handle it.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Well I'm already running a N* throttle body, so thats out of the picture and I'm not doing a cam. Rockers arent worth the gains.
I think my tranny is new enough to handle the slicks, only about 30k on it. And if I do a HD diff it should be ok I'm hoping.

Would exhaust help a bit, isnt the stock exhaust restrictive around 300hp? I could do my side exhaust idea

Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

IC all the way, there's no contest here. The radials would be kinda pointless with no LSD.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM

I suggest a V8 swap of some kind. Then I can take that engine off your hands.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM

I really dont feel like tearing it back down to do anything to it, Ive done that enough already. So what would you guys suggest?
If you don't want to tear into the engine at all, it sounds like nitrous, or weight reduction are your only options to go faster.

We could help more if you posted a quick mod list of what power mods you have (for those of us who don't know- so we don't have to go search for it).

Better diff/drag radials- My car only spins one tire, which scares me a bit.
Diff is a waste of money IMO- you're talking $1000-1500 between the only two real options- the Quaife or the GM Torsen, and even then- it has still been proven that you can launch just as hard at the drag strip with a stock HD diff, so you won't actually be any quicker in a straight line.

If you are still running the stock cam, and no IC- then you're leaving a massive amount of power on the table by spending that kind of money on a diff upgrade instead of something to make power.

DR's/slicks are great for making you go faster at the strip- but the problem there is, the car is going to feel just the same on the street (unless you plan on running DR's all the time which could get pricey). The other bad thing is dead hook launches are great for bringing down ET's, but are killer on the trans hard parts. Slowly rolling in the power combined with torque management at the shifts are part of what keep the trans together.

Nitrous (75-100 shot)? - Be nice for when I race.
If you don't want to open the engine up- I think this is about your only serious choice to go faster on the street & track. Upside is, its pretty cheap, and you can wait until you've got traction before you add the extra power. Downside is filling a bottle, but your restrictions don't give us much in the way of other options.

Intercooler- good amount of power all the time, but costs more, and Ill have to buy fuel rails and all the other stuff :/
I thought you didn't want to open the engine up again? If its a choice between this and nitrous- I'd go IC hands down. Couple a good full size IC with a pulley drop, and you'll pick up a nice chunk of horsepower.

I'm not doing a cam. Rockers arent worth the gains.
Are you serious? 1.9 modded stock rockers only run like $200 shipped, help kill a good bit of KR- and add a noticeable amount of power- and you can still run stock springs, retainers, and timing chain. If you're dead set on no cam- then IMO rockers are a must- no reason to restrict yourself to the stock lift levels, and bang for the buck is way up there.

I think my tranny is new enough to handle the slicks, only about 30k on it. And if I do a HD diff it should be ok I'm hoping.
Slicks or DR's- pretty big difference in traction levels. Either way- it doesn't matter how many miles are on the trans, it is VERY hard on the internal hard parts. Diff doesn't matter- its the input/output shafts and drive chain that will suffer the most from super hard launching. IMO you're playing with fire, especially if the trans is otherwise stock. If you've got the upgraded hard parts already in the trans- it would be different, but I doubt you have a built trans if you still don't have heads/cam or an IC.

Would exhaust help a bit, isnt the stock exhaust restrictive around 300hp? I could do my side exhaust idea
Not going to be a massive power gain. I don't like to think of the exhaust as a restriction as a black/white issue. Its not like people run 290 hp and aftermarket exhaust yields no power gain, and someone running 310 hp gains 50 hp from an exhaust. Obviously, the more power you make, the more you'd benefit from exhaust. I definitely wouldn't do an exhaust based on how much power it will make though- do it based on what sound you're specifically looking for- because its not like you're going to make 25 extra hp from an open downpipe as opposed to a single muffler 3" exhaust- you know?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Thanks for your opinions bumpin.

Current mod list
l67 heads
ported m90 and lim
l67 injectors
headers
Northstar throttle body
CAI (hai right now)

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Diff is a waste of money IMO- you're talking $1000-1500 between the only two real options- the Quaife or the GM Torsen, and even then- it has still been proven that you can launch just as hard at the drag strip with a stock HD diff, so you won't actually be any quicker in a straight line.

If you are still running the stock cam, and no IC- then you're leaving a massive amount of power on the table by spending that kind of money on a diff upgrade instead of something to make power.

DR's/slicks are great for making you go faster at the strip- but the problem there is, the car is going to feel just the same on the street (unless you plan on running DR's all the time which could get pricey). The other bad thing is dead hook launches are great for bringing down ET's, but are killer on the trans hard parts. Slowly rolling in the power combined with torque management at the shifts are part of what keep the trans together.
Really I would just be upgrading to the HD diff and not the stock one from the l36 transmission. Id like to not have to worry about it, and I would really only run DRs when I go out to race and sometimes on the street/to shows and such. I was spinning into second gear the other night with just one wheel and I think more traction could help me alot.

If you don't want to open the engine up- I think this is about your only serious choice to go faster on the street & track. Upside is, its pretty cheap, and you can wait until you've got traction before you add the extra power. Downside is filling a bottle, but your restrictions don't give us much in the way of other options.
There is a local place to fill the bottle so I'm not to worried about that.

I thought you didn't want to open the engine up again? If its a choice between this and nitrous- I'd go IC hands down. Couple a good full size IC with a pulley drop, and you'll pick up a nice chunk of horsepower.
Well i really wouldnt be tearing into it again, the LIM is ported so its just a matter of removing the sc and all the lines. This is one of those if it would be good enough results I'd do it, and I think Im leaning towards it anyway. Its just I'm a bit worried price wise and all.

Are you serious? 1.9 modded stock rockers only run like $200 shipped, help kill a good bit of KR- and add a noticeable amount of power- and you can still run stock springs, retainers, and timing chain. If you're dead set on no cam- then IMO rockers are a must- no reason to restrict yourself to the stock lift levels, and bang for the buck is way up there.
I always heard they are better, but I've heard of a lot of people and friends who hav done the rockers, and couldnt even drop a pulley size and only picked up a bit of hp. I would like to give them a shot though.

Slicks or DR's- pretty big difference in traction levels. Either way- it doesn't matter how many miles are on the trans, it is VERY hard on the internal hard parts. Diff doesn't matter- its the input/output shafts and drive chain that will suffer the most from super hard launching. IMO you're playing with fire, especially if the trans is otherwise stock. If you've got the upgraded hard parts already in the trans- it would be different, but I doubt you have a built trans if you still don't have heads/cam or an IC.

Not going to be a massive power gain. I don't like to think of the exhaust as a restriction as a black/white issue. Its not like people run 290 hp and aftermarket exhaust yields no power gain, and someone running 310 hp gains 50 hp from an exhaust. Obviously, the more power you make, the more you'd benefit from exhaust. I definitely wouldn't do an exhaust based on how much power it will make though- do it based on what sound you're specifically looking for- because its not like you're going to make 25 extra hp from an open downpipe as opposed to a single muffler 3" exhaust- you know?
I wont be launching it constantly, probably 10-20 times a summer when I actually race.

Also on the exhaust, Ill be running the headers that are a 3in collector into a 3 inch pipe/muffler, then it will y into two 2.5 inch pipes. DO you think that would be suitable?

Thank you so much for the advice, maybe all of this can help a bit.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

IC all the way! I plan on doing that once I have the moola to do so & I don't ahve to drive her everyday