General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What to do...??? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
1 Year Member
Default What to do...??? Need advice

So I have only been on the boards here for about a month or 2 since I bought my 02 MC/SS. I fell in love with this car since I brought her home. She has been my daily driver since I got her with 89,xxx on the clock. Last night, I was leaving work at aroun 7:00PM and it started to rain. By the time I got to the highway, the rains we coming down harder, and this was only a 7 minute ride. I get on the H/W and I am doing ~60 MPH when all of a sudden my *** end swings out from behind me. I try and correct it going one way, then the other then back again and once she hit the grass it was all over. I slammed HARD into the guard rail. F'd up the whole drivers side of the car and the passanger fender. No bags deployed. bumper to bumber needs to be replaced, lights hood etc....she drove like a champ and got GREAT gas milage. I am not sure what to do with her now. I didnt have collision on her and the shop gave me a guess-timate of $5,000 to fix her but the kicker is I paid 4,800 for her. Here is a quick pic I snapped so you can get an idea of what she looks like.

Attached Thumbnails What to do...??? Need advice-photo.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have ZERO insurance on the car where they won't even buy it out... that sucks.

I would definitely shop for another used one if you didn't have a lot of money in it.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM

That stinks man, at least you are ok. If it were me, I would probably just look for a new car. One thing you could do in order to offset losing money, would be to part the car out. Sell the radio, headests, seats, the passenger side door if that is good, the engine and trans, Wheels and tires, etc. And then just let a junk yard have the rest. That way you can make back some of your money back to help pay for a new car

Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
That stinks man, at least you are ok. If it were me, I would probably just look for a new car. One thing you could do in order to offset losing money, would be to part the car out. Sell the radio, headests, seats, the passenger side door if that is good, the engine and trans, Wheels and tires, etc. And then just let a junk yard have the rest. That way you can make back some of your money back to help pay for a new car
thats what I am now planning on doing. The body shop gave me an estimate of $12,000. Im going to put it online and someone is going to have to take the WHOLE car because I am not going to have people come a pick-a-part on my property. I just dont know what to ask for a whole parts car like this, the body is shot, but everything else is in used working condition.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

sorry to hear about your luck, on the positive at least you are ok
not sure what you could realistically get for a parts car with the body work that it needs. The engine and tranny are definitely worth something, problem is that most people don't want to go through the hassle of ripping them out of the car unless the price is unbelievably cheap.
sad to say but you would probably get more money parting it out than selling it as a unit

Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry about your Luck... Good to know your ok!
Inclement weather is certainly unpredictable for sure... That's why all my vehicles have full coverage insurance...Cause you just never know when somethings gonna jump up and bite you!...

Its pretty obvious since you don't have insurance its definitely a total loss
Maybe your best bet is since you don't want to part it out... Like mentioned before... No ones going to want it for parts and do the labor unless the price is super cheap.

With that being said...
We know youll never recoupe what you purchased it for... I would consider just chalking it up to experience and see what a scrap yard will give you for it. and apply that towards saveing up for another ride? Im not saying this is what you should do...But, Its something to consider.

Good luck on getting another Monte soon! We look forward to knowing and seeing what you get!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If that was mine I would be looking for parts to put back together..
Don't look to bad.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM

it looks to be just body damage, how does it look inside the engine bay? if it were mine, i would fix it myself, plenty of montes at junk yards.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Parts cars and other cars that aren't driveable typically only sell for $500

Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i would part it out for a month or so and the send it down the road to the junkyard or scrap yard. im sure some people on here would be interested in some parts.

Quick Reply: What to do...??? Need advice