General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What do i do?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What do i do?!?!?!?!?

ok so this guy my mom used to work with bought a new car and his son needs a car but he cant drive stick so he asked me if i would trade with him. she has a 98 camaro with t-tops 3.8 supercharged, and full exhaust. there is only one thing wrong with it and that is it will need a new trans soon. idk what to do. i LOVE my monte, but the maro is really nice.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 PM

It all really depends on what matters to you. The '98 Camaro V6 has a higher trade in value, but less HP. You might also consider how attached you are to your Monte. I recently had the opportunity to buy a red '02 Z28, but I just couldn't part with my Monte. It's just the way some people, like me, are. Ultimately, you just have to make yourself happy. Do what ever you will be most happy with.

But for me, you've already got a 215 HP V6. If you get a Camaro, wait till you can get the V8.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:15 PM

yea i figured the trade in would be higher but i cant do it. my grandmother left me the monte in her will, thinkin i graduated a year before i acutally did. my car way too much sentimental value.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Yeah that's what I was sayin'. Sentimental value to me has way more meaning than just another car. Keep that Monte.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 AM

The Camaro has a "supercharged" 3.8?!?!? Are you certain? This engine was never offered in an f-body. Did they swap on a supercharger?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by LuSe4
The Camaro has a "supercharged" 3.8?!?!? Are you certain? This engine was never offered in an f-body. Did they swap on a supercharger?
Huh that didn't even dawn on me. I guess I just saw "Camaro 3.8" and immediately thought "base coupe" even though he said "supercharged." But yeah they never came supercharged from the factory.

But even if a supercharger was added, I think he should keep the Monte for sentimental reasons. That way he won't regret his decision later. There will always be more Camaros available, but his Monte is irreplaceable.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
rj
15 Year Member

If this Camaro will need a trans soon, how much does it cost to put one in?

Is it nessessary to remove a lot of things to get the trans out of this car?

My point, if a lot of work is involved and you can't do the work yourself you'll need to pay someone to do it for you. Which in turn may cost quite a bit to get done??

Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Huh that didn't even dawn on me. I guess I just saw "Camaro 3.8" and immediately thought "base coupe" even though he said "supercharged." But yeah they never came supercharged from the factory.

But even if a supercharger was added, I think he should keep the Monte for sentimental reasons. That way he won't regret his decision later. There will always be more Camaros available, but his Monte is irreplaceable.
I always thought that they should have had the supercharged 3.8 as a middle engine with a regeared 6-speed tranny. I think that they would have sold a bunch of them. Easy to mod and make good power with cheaper insurance and better mileage then an lt1/ ls1.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM

it has a centrifugal (or however you spell it) supercharger on it. i dont know any specs on it. but yeah im too attached to my monte, ive went through alot with it. lol some good and some bad. im gonna just stick with it and put all my money into it to make it unique. the only 5th gen montes around here are ls models and they mostly belong to older ppl. but there are alot of 6th gens around.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by bama_z34
im gonna just stick with it and put all my money into it to make it unique.
Well good luck and happy modding! Looking forward to seeing your unique Z34!