General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What to do????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Default What to do????

WHAT TO DO??????? Here is my story. I had a brand new 88 SS right out of the showroom but had to sell it almost a year after do to a new family. So many years later I bought an 87 with T tops and was going to do a full resto however the more I got into it the worse it was with rust and such so I parts it but kept all the parts. A year later I decided to buy a 87 Aerocoupe from Kentucky thinking no rust. I bought it off eBay (first mistake) and flew down and drove it back to northern Wisconsin. It needed only paint and interior work do to fading or so I thought. I was going to have it painted so I removed the door seals and outside trim and yes, I cut the rear window out trashing the seal. (second mistake) I took it to a local body shop (third mistake) and had them fix tiny dents and paint it. $5,500 well they missed several little dents and paint was peeling the second day off the black grill part very much not happy but my complaints got me nothing from them. I replaced the front brakes and noticed that the frame was cracked pretty good just down from the upper control arm on the right side. So I had the frame from my parts car sand blasted and painted black with good auto paint/primer. and it was just to do that but I thought I would dive it a little in summer then change it over in winter. Next I pulled the interior and found out the roof was replaced and it was a genuine GM roof but still wtf? and drivers floor needs a floor pan. It is an actual aerocoupe and not a conversion at least but still. I was so depressed I bought a cover and stuck it in my dad's garage for the last 15 years or so. What should I do? Just fix it and try and enjoy it or say screw it and sell everything?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 PM

It's hard to give advice on something like this as it totally depends on the person and what you want out of it.

If you're looking for something to drive soon, you're probably better off cutting your losses and getting something in better shape.

If you're looking for something to tinker on and don't mind if it doesn't drive for another year or more whIle you wrench on it, then maybe it's worthwhile to keep and just work through as you have time.