General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): What to check for before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 AM
Default What to check for before buying?

My son is looking to buy a 2006 Monte Carlo LT 3.5L with 119k. He is supposed to be signing the papers today. I haven't personally seen the car yet but will be traveling today to go look at it before he signs.

What should I check/inspect before he buys?

Here is a picture of the car:

Name:  2006MonteCarlo_zpslqfaimio.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  168.2 KB

Old 02-22-2016, 11:41 AM

There is a 2007 MC LS on a lot here in San Diego with 12K miles on it! California car with perfect body. He wants $8500.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Arrow Hope it's a good one ?

Hi Carl,
1st question; Why did they dark tint the windshield ? Was it a drug dealer's car + it's illegal in just about every state..
I'd get a Car Fax or Auto Check report + good old common sense from your years of experience with vehicles..Good Luck

Check the below links & I think they may help

www.consumerreports.org/.../inspecting...used-car/ind...
Consumer Reports

Learn how inspecting a used car before buying it can help you to spot potential ...Check each body panel and the roof, looking for scratches, dents, and rust.

www.wikihow.com/Check-out-a-Used-Car-Before-Buying-It
wikiHow

How to Check out a Used Car Before Buying It. If you are thinking about purchasing aused car, you know how confusing it can be. There are so many things to ...Checking the car's form - ‎Checking under the hood - ‎Checking inside the car

Old 02-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
1st question; Why did they dark tint the windshield ? Was it a drug dealer's car + it's illegal in just about every state..
I think it looks great, although you bring up a good point about the legality of it, I'm surprised a dealer would be allowed to sell a car with something so obviously illegal.

The windshield on my gp is tinted, as was the windshield on my vette (until a rock took it out, I didnt want to pay again to have it redone so soon). With that said, I did get pulled over in the gp for it once.

Its hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like front end has a lot of paint damage. The OEM paint shouldn't have come off that easily, so either some pretty hard road debris hit it (ie not your typical bug or rock), or the front bumper is a repaint that isn't adhering as well. A carfax might tell you if it's been in a wreck.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 PM

Thank you all for the replies and the link (BeachBumMike). Got a CarFax on it, no accidents reported. Going to have to take the front tint off the windshield.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Thumbs up Thanks for your update

Hi Carl, how many owner's. Did the carfax contain service records ? Have you driven it ? Look forward to your review. Wish you son & you safe and happy miles in your new purchase...Keep us updated...Good Luck

Old 02-24-2016, 10:15 PM

2 owners and yes a bunch of service records. We both drove it several times and it really drives nice I must say. Has the famous AC actuator tick but that's quick and cheap. Thanks for the well wishes!