General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What is this???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Default What is this???

Unfortunately, I'm unable to put a pic of it on here---apparently because I'm still a newbie
BUT, I need to know if this is aftermarket or factory....
It's a small (approx. 4 inches long) horn-like thing (I say horn-like, because it looks like a horn/mini-megaphone--almost like an alarm horn). It's in the engine compartment on the driver-side, by the wheel well. If it's not factory, I'm gonna rip it out, if it is factory I want to see if its part of the alarm system since my alarm isn't working, or my car doesn't have one....any help would be appreciated....thanks

Old 11-18-2011, 03:32 PM

That sounds like an aftermarket alarm siren.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

photobucket account. [ img ] tags.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:41 PM

forgot to mention....its a 2001 MC LS

Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The factory alarm would use the car's horn. It is probably a aftermarket siren as mentioned. The factory alarm may have been disabled when the aftermarket alarm was installed. I don't really know that much about them tho.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Well, I thouch the wires of it to a battery.....indeed, it's an aftermarket alarm siren (good call nyislander)---so, they must've taken the rest out of it out and left only the siren, since it was disconnected---Soooooo, now I want to re-enable the factory one-----PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, give me the knowlege I need to complete this task and I will be forever grateful ---perhaps you lougreen03 (you mentioned you don't know much about the aftermarkets, do you have factory alarm knowledge)---I know I may seem obsessed and perhaps ****.....can't help it, I LOVE the car and I want it to be the way its supposed to be.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

going out on a limb here, but it probably depends on what they had to do to install the aftermarket system. Could be as simple as re-connecting a few wires that they had to splice into, or the complete opposite. Good luck either way

Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 PM

I understand that, but need to know which wires and where to look.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

It's definitely aftermarket, stock horns are both on the passenger side

it's hard to tell because since it's all aftermarket they could have installed the wires anywhere, so you'd need to do some searching yourself, where in WI are you?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 AM

I live in Wausau ...moved here about 4 yrs ago...before that I was in St. Germain.....I searched over the wires, and I could not see any cut...I found a couple loose ground wires, but not loose enough to loose connection. Its times like this I wish a were either a small person or a contortionist. Maybe then I could get better access to see all the wires.