General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What Is "Standard" for Fog Light Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What Is "Standard" for Fog Light Operation?

Once I get these Factory Fog Lights in and wired-up ... what is the "Standard" way they operate.
On with Highs?
On with Lows?
On with either depending on the Power Switch?

Also, has anybody had to actually install the Lights from scratch? I'd like to know what I'm in for after the box arrives and its time to mount the pair behind those louvers that I'll be taking out.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: What Is "Standard" for Fog Light Operation?

On my 04, the fogs only operate with the low beams. Not with thehigh beams, or daytime running lights.
And since they use a momentary switch, the fog lights have to be switched on every time you start the car.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

their mean't to cut thru the fog... your regular headlights distort the fog. they are mean't to be run with only the parking lights, but the wiring on the Monte Carlo allows them to only be run with the parking and low beam lights, plus what taz said about having to be manually cut on everytime you start your car.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 AM
rj
15 Year Member

With my '06 I can turn the daytime running lights off and use just the fog lights. I know the parking lights do come on with them when I press the light switch.

PS. Rick one thing about these lights. They have clear bulbls in them. An amber light works better in the fog versus a clear light which tends to illuminate just the fog and not any objects ahead of you.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member

It's good to get all this feedback even before I get them mounted. I guess the BCM Module comes into play with these lights. I didn't know anything about the BCM until I started searching the Internet for its function. That BCM controls all the lights and instrument panel. So, if I hook-up the lights to the vehicles wiring harness I'm only going to get what configuration the BCM allows for those lights to be on.

Since I want the extra candles on while driving with high beams, that means wiring them hard to the battery with a switch and a relay. something I was hoping to avoid. But, that's not as hard as it was just finding a set of Genuine GM Fog Lights to toss in there. That took some every day surfing on the used parts searches until it paid-off.

I think for starters, I'll go stock and use the switch and relay I bought until the weather gets nice enough to play outside and do the little jobs that make the Monte stand-out. I need to paint my calipers and pretty-up the Brake Rotors. Once Spring gets here, I'll have plenty to do to make my Monte worthy of being in the same Forum as some of these other fine examples of Montne Carlo's that get featured with their personal signature cards on every Post.

Just getting my car ready for a signature card is going to be enough work for the time being.
After I get some Fof Lights installed and they aren't even here, yet!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 PM
rj
15 Year Member

To work the lights when YOU want it's that hard. Run a wire to the lights. I've used a wire already supplied and tap in to it.

Then run a wire to a fused source in the fuse box.A fuse link wire is a good choice for the fact if anything overloads the fuse link will seperate so nothing fries. And you'll need a switch to turn them on/off if you want this option.

The lights should now work whenever you want them on.