General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

weekend project: Painted Dash and console

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you really knew what you were doing, and it looks like a million bucks! How much you want to do that to mine?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 PM

how hard is it removing the dash? i seen its all one piece, im nervous about breaking it2

Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM

thanks for all the props guys.

kidspace, whats next is a complete two-tone paint job, then waiting for another written off monte SS to come through our bodyshop so i can get my brickyard spoiler and the ground effects off it for free

sir monte, those are 2 neon tubes. I pulled the bumper back a little and wedged it with a roll of tape sideways :P, i used 3M adhesive tape to mount them under the top lips of holes so they would shine downwards casting a blue glow rather than a cheesy blue tube just there. then i got sorta cheap and cut some cardboard, used aluminum tape on one side and put it in behind so it would reflect more of the glow out. lol . now if they would go back and forth i'd be like knight rider haha

the 3m tape held up surprisingly well in my -50 degree celcius winter so no worries bout it falling off.

i put a better view of it so you can see what i mean

Attached Thumbnails weekend project: Painted Dash and console-monte.jpg  

Last edited by Nuffy; 04-13-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 PM

That is going to be one of my projects coming up. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 PM

the dash is easy to take out. putting it back in freshly painted and not scratching it is the hard part friend lol

you will have to put the shifter into 3rd part way through.. you'll see what i mean when you do it.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 PM

i really like that. especially since you put the time into makeing it smooth

Old 04-20-2009, 07:43 PM

That looks really nice. When I bought mine, the dash had already been painted red, but it was done poorly. I really want to redo it and have it turn out like this, but in a ferrari red color. Any tips on how to do that or what paint to use?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 PM

well what you use depends on what materials/facilities/tools you have access to friend.

i'm an automotive painter so i have access to pretty much anything so i might use some things others might not have..

for a DIY @ home in the garage try:
1. scuffing it for some tooth/grip

2. adhesion permoter for plastics

3. then build up the dash with some "high build primer surfacer". i'd recommend 4 wet-on-wet coats to get it up past the texturing. let it dry for a few hours before sanding it with some 320 grit sand paper. you should also use some guide coat (simple black spray paint light dusted over) on the primer before you start sanding so you can easily see any imperfections left like pinholes, chips etc...

4. once your happy with the smoothness, grab yourself some 600 wet sand paper and go over the entire dash again, this will remove the 320 grit scratches and making it even smoother for base coat.

5. BE PICKY, picky picky !!! , look closly at your work. this is your last chance to fix anything easily

6. once your satisfied with how it looks.. start painting

7. the paint i used is ICI autocolor made by PPG. non-waterbased

8. paint code location on GM vehicles vary: check
- inside the drivers side door jamb
- under your trunk
- under the spare tire cover in the trunk
- inside the glove box
all GM codes require u add "WA" in front of any paint code if using a computer program to mix your paint

prolly more info than you need sorry lol

Old 05-17-2009, 10:51 PM

it didn't look quite finished to me, so i pianted the dash above the glove box today. took a little longer due to the heavy texturing but turned out like the rest of it

Attached Thumbnails weekend project: Painted Dash and console-dashsealer.jpg   weekend project: Painted Dash and console-dashcleared.jpg   weekend project: Painted Dash and console-dash1.jpg   weekend project: Painted Dash and console-dash2.jpg  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 PM

thats pretty intense

Quick Reply: weekend project: Painted Dash and console