General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Waterump squeal of death :l

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Waterump squeal of death :l

I woke up happy this morning and on all good terms. I have a hour drive to work and about 10 minutes away after slowing from 70mph to 10mph for a turn I hear a horrible screetching sound and thought someones car is ragegdy as .... until I noticed it was my car. Seconds after the temp guage shot uip almost into the red. At idle the car went into the red so I shut it off and went to work. Ok leaving work I tried to get to the closest gas station to me which was 15 minutes away so I told myself Im good because It normally takes a long time to reach regular temp. As soon as I got 2 minutes into the drive The temp guage went up almsot as fast as the rpms do and there is the sqeak. I barely make it to the gas station and put water in my resevoir (almost empty) and I know its over heating because the fans are still on with the car off. I know for a fact that I topped off the radiator and resevoir thursday and there are no spots in the driveway. What the .... happened to my antifreeze? Anyways put water in it and whenever we stopped at a red light or in slow traffic it would start to creep up to about 3 quarters until I cruise at 40mph and it goes to half way. Thank God we made it home... Oh also before we put more water in it we heard a sound like low pressure compressed air coming from the water pump area and it was full of antifreeze and water. Now im home and its completely dry like nothing was even there and I smelled the antifreeze burning off as we were driving home.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Probably the bearing went out on the WP pulley and loosened the shaft. Therefore letting your antifreeze come out of the front of the WP and fall down while you're driving due to heating up and building pressure.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
Probably the bearing went out on the WP pulley and loosened the shaft. Therefore letting your antifreeze come out of the front of the WP and fall down while you're driving due to heating up and building pressure.
My boss said the same thing in almost the same exact words lol. So I have to change the pulley also?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Pulley comes as a whole with the pump IIRC. If not it's just 4 small 7mm bolts I think. The shaft is welded to the turbine. If your pulley is bent, let me know I probably have like 4 of them including 3 good WP's.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member

Ill let you know, im having trouble with one bolt though. The power steering pulley is blocking it, how do i get it out?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sorry, I can't help with the bolt, but I've heard once they go, they go quick! Glad you got it home safe and let us know how things are going with the new pump!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
sorry, I can't help with the bolt, but I've heard once they go, they go quick! Glad you got it home safe and let us know how things are going with the new pump!
The monte is most likely going to sit until later this week because we got our work truck (01 f150) back working yesterday. Im glad we did lol. Yea it was like a sqeak and there she went.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The power steering pulley has holes in it. Put an extension on your socket and you will be able to reach the last bolt through the power steering pulley. Also, you will not get a new pulley with the new pump, but it doesn't matter. Just unbolt your pulley and put it on the new water pump.

Make sure that you don't turn the engine on until the water pump is replaced.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member

Ok so after I mentoined the truck I realized that we dropped the insurance on it so getting the Monte back running was a MUST! I followed a tutorial that Chibi posted on hwo to remove it. It was going smooth until the bottom left hand corner bolt which was behind the power steering pulley. After following zippers advice I finally got it off and out of the way and started to take off the old water pump. I didnt realize they had a screw at the bottom and i ripped it off thankfully the bolt stayed in and didnt break off. The water pump itself where the little fan blades are look almost new but as far as the gasket goes, I can say without exaggerating that 75% of the gasket was no where to be found. On the engine it had a little piece of gasket that I scraped off and on the old water pump it only had 1 2 corners of the gasket that ripped off like paper! I put on the gasket sealant crap and put it on the waterpump and did the same to the other side and proped it on the studs. I got my trusty old torque wrench which is about a foot long and had the fight of my life lol, I had to use a regular ratchet for some. The hardest part of the install was putting the power steering pump bolts back. It took me over an hour to get one bolt back in its place. I know that I gave up atleast 30 times lol. I then remembered that I bought a belt a couple of months ago so I might as well throw that on. So im looking for my belt diagram and what do you know its peeled back to where you can only see "a/c" lol. I found an impala diagram and went off that. So it was time to start her up! She started it but it felt different so I cut her off and started her back up and it still felt like it doesnt start as fast as before (Maybe like a half of a second slower lol) but o well. I let her sit to see if the temp guage would shoot up and it acted normally. I then took it out for a spin where she stayed at normal temp WITH NO SQEAKING!!! I am exhausted and have to work in the a.m. I got home from work at 5pm and I finished at 10pm and I have to soak in the tub because this Dove soap is having a hard time cutting through this oil. (Maybe I should try Dawn in my bath water???) Thats my journey with my water pump replacement. Im felling a little cocky so I might try to replace my axles this weekend if I can find a tut :P

Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Good work, glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: Waterump squeal of death :l