General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

VERY IRRATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Default VERY IRRATE

it seems that i am having a issue about my tire,i got the 06 monte ss rims and goodyear rsa's well i was at a discount tire and my valve stem is broke were it reads the the low tire pressure and this guy is claming it is the valve stem cover.thebullet style that as far as i knowcome on all the rims ss style,well he is saying they are after market so ok i tell him my mom has a 06 and i can take him to a dealership to,so then he says the dealership must replace them, my jaw must of hit the floor,what a idiot!so i guess gm dont know what they are doing and this doush does.needless to say i am going to corperate as i type.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Default RE: VERY IRRATE

[align=center]Hi `Jeff,[/align][align=center]Wish you luck on resolving your problems.[/align][align=center]Problems are test in life, that make the good times all the better[/align][align=center]when they are resolved.[/align][align=center]Read the headlines, listen to the news, and `if your[/align][align=center]name is not there, then you are doing better then most[/align][align=center]in our Wolrd.[/align][align=center]This problem `to shall pass, and you will be out again[/align][align=center]soon on your highways of yourlife enjoying your Monte SS.[/align][align=center]Good Luck.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM

The actual piece that reads the tire pressure is inside the rim, and I think it is attached to the back of the valve stem. I had a hell of a time with my 07 SS, when I was having the GM optional wheels installed. The so called experts even at the dealership didn't know how the tire monitors would re-mount in the new rims, and if there were additional parts required.

These pressure monitor thingys are a nightmare, I don't think very many tire shops or for that matter dealers really are up on these things. On top of all this, every OEM uses a different system and nobody seems to know much about it.

Good luck finding someone that does.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM

[:-]To add to RevItUpFaster's Post [:-]
[:-]
[align=center]General Motors Tire Pressure Tool J-41760[/align][align=center]Click below link 4 infor[/align][align=center][:-]
http://www.amazon.com/General-Motors.../dp/B000U009JM[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]________________________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
DIRECT & INDIRECT TIRE PRESSURE MONITORS
There are essentially two basic ways to monitor tire pressure electronically. One is the direct method. A small pressure sensor is located inside each wheel. The sensor has a built-in transponder that broadcasts a radio signal to an external module. The module identifies the signal from each wheel and keeps an eye on pressure. If pressure drops below a predetermined threshold, the module turns on a light or displays a message to warn the driver.
The pressure sensors may be mounted in the drop center inside the wheel, or on the end of the valve stem inside the wheel. Stem mounted pressure sensors use the valve stem as the antenna, so don't replace the standard valve caps with anything else. Sensors attached to the rim drop center are typically held in place by a long steel strap that wraps all the way around the wheel. The pressure sensors are very accurate (usually within 2 lbs. or less).
The other method of monitoring tire pressure does not require any additional hardware inside or outside the wheel. It is the "indirect" method. This approach makes use of the existing wheel speed sensors in the antilock brake (ABS) system. By modifying the ABS operating software, the ABS system learns the average speed at which each wheel rotates when traveling straight at a constant velocity, and detects low tires by comparing relative wheel speeds. The auto makers like this approach because it is a simple, cost-effective way to monitor tire pressure. But it has some limitations.
On current production North American indirect TPMS systems, the systems cannot detect a low tire if two tires on the same axle are low, or if all four tires are low by an equal amount. But it can detect one or more low tire if the rest are at or near the recommended inflation pressure. Some of the newest European indirect TPMS systems can detect air loss in any combination of tires, as well as a gradual loss of air pressure during cold weather in all four tires.
Here's how the indirect ABS-based TPMS works. If a tire loses air, the diameter of the tire shrinks slightly causing it to turn at a slightly faster rate than the others. But on most applications, a tire has to loose anywhere from 8 to 14 pounds of air pressure before there's enough of a difference in diameter to be detected by the wheel speed sensors. It depends on the type of tires, tire diameter and aspect ratio, and the sensitivity of the ABS system.
Low profile tires with short stiff sidewalls change diameter less than tires with taller aspect ratios and more compliant sidewalls. Consequently, a loss of 10 psi in a low profile tire may only change the diameter of the tire less than 1 mm (0.040 inches). Most ABS systems cannot detect changes smaller than 1 mm. For this reason, indirect ABS-based tire pressure monitoring systems are not as sensitive as direct TPMS systems that have a pressure sensor inside each wheel.
[b]ABS-based systems must also relearn the rotational "signature" of each tire when tires are replaced, repaired or rotated. This requires the driver to push a reset button on the dash or to follow a menu on the driver information display.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:12 PM

well now that i have looked into it i might be wrong on the valve cover i thought they were a bullet style but it seems they are not thats how they were when i got them through a friend,i could of swore i seen them on the others buti guess not.as to how it got broke i dont know i store my tires till winter, they claim they dident break it but they are the only ones that touched it when they put them on i did not touch them after that,the only way i could of been me was when i stack them for summerBUT if it was that they would of noticed that when they mounted them cause they would check the air.i have nowaytoprove it though,im waiting on a call back from corporate to see what they can do.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM

i thought it was goodyear that put these in.so its gm that does this?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM

update...... well discount called and they said they will split the bill for the pressure monitor with me.total cost from gm for one is 52$,so im happy with that.guess that corporate call helped

Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know I've seen them listed for sale on ebay.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM

NEVER had 1 problem with my tire pressure monitors even after having the GM accessory wheels installed on my 2006 LTZ. I guess some are just more sensitive?!