General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

U-bend delete???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by montyss02
Well, I stand corrected!
"Here it is the long awaited 304 stainless steel rear power log for your turbo kit. This is intended for turbo kit crossovers only!"
Per zzp on the rear power log. You may want to email zzp regarding the compatibility of their power log and their DP. I don't know what kind of set up you're running now so I can't tell you what you can keep or can't. Replacing the stock DP with the ZZP one shouldn't be any problem and you should be able to keep the set up you have right now till you decide to change it for the new mufflers.

Here are the links for the DP, the O2 sim, and the PL!
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=551&catid=110
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=812&catid=110
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=967

Like I said, the PL might not fit so you need to get in contact with ZZP and ask them.
got cha. i'll most def email them about that sometime whenever i get closer to a position of actually buying it lol. and thanks for the links!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you get the DP with hi-flow cat, you WILL throw a "CEL" (check engine light) P0420 code. It needs to be programmed out of your PCM.
You're really starting to add up $$$ here, and IMHO, you're heading down a wrong path. I HAVE the powerlog manifold, but the S&S headers weren't readily available when I got that. For about the same price of a 3" dp + hi-flow cat' + powerlog, you can get headers and a hi-flow cat combo. NOW you're talking! Personally, If I was you, at THIS point in your life, get the U-bend delete and call it a day. IF you got the money to throw at your car, do it RIGHT, and get the headers, but that's only a SMALL part of the equation,

You can do searches all day, but here's the gist of what's going on:

FIRST, you have an L67. It's SUPERCHARGED. You KNOW that. But here's the REAL difference between mod'ing an N/A 3.8 and the S/C 3.8: The KEY is getting these things to BREATHE, but breathe without getting the air overheated, and controlling knock retard (timing, or KR). That can lead to ALL kinds of problems, the worst being chipped pistons. You can do lots to make them pretty, sound different, etc, but to modify your car and spend your money EFFICIENTLY, you need to do it METHODICALLY. And honestly, your cat back exhaust system isn't EVEN part of the equation right now. Down pipe, yes. But reconsider the powerlog and look for a set of USED S&S headers. Not Pacesetters, but S&S. They have smaller tubes, and you will lose less low end torque with those, and THAT is what you feel when you push on your gas pedal.

To do it right:
1. get a CAI, whether Wizaired, K&N, or my recommendation, a good homemade fenderwell intake.
2. S&S headers w/ hi-flow cat, #3800CH
3. 180* thermostat.
4. Colder NGK Iridium spark plugs.
5. 3.4" pulley.
6. If the $$$ allow it, 1.9 rockers. Optional, but worth it. You could probably run a 3.3" pulley with this mod.
7. Custom tune, or at MINIMUM, a ZZP tuned PCM. This is what pulls it all together.
8. larger fuel injectors. Again optional, but you will start starving for more gas, I know, I'm there. This is a MUST DO if you put bigger rockers in. This will require a retune.
9. larger exhaust. Factory exhaust is good to 400 hp.
You CAN NOT do the pulley swap WITHOUT doing a tune! But the pulley swap is where the REAL power comes from. Going from 7#s of boost to 10 or 12#s, or more.
Ryan, how much boost you pushing now?

My point, you're in college. Do a fenderwell intake and a U-bend delete and call it a day UNTIL you got a stash of cash and can DO IT ALL AT ONCE. You do those 2 mods and you will FEEL that. Probably 20HP right there, if the fenderwell CAI is smooth and efficient.

Did I miss anything here?

Last edited by RocknSS04; 11-06-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM

woww! Wayne you rock! lol. That's like what i needed right there, an actual list of step-by-step things i need to get/do to get this car where i want it. BUT i have a question about all these mods, especially the pulley, my biggest fear is that if i mod the engine up too much it will cut the life of the engine in half and i REALLY don't want that to happen, but if i do what you guys are telling me and set it up right and everything will i not need to worry about it?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As long as your car is running knock-free and you don't drive stupid you won't hurt the car.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 AM

lol well i dont drive stupid but i like to have fun once in a while =] does that count???

Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM

15 Year Member

As long as you have fun and you are smart about...

example, as long as you don't have the gear shifter on 2, with traction control on, and running from a dig...... (which I'm surprised at how many people do )

Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
As long as you have fun and you are smart about...

example, as long as you don't have the gear shifter on 2, with traction control on, and running from a dig...... (which I'm surprised at how many people do )

ohh i got cha. yeah i dont even mess with the high, 2nd, and low gears right now bcuz i dont wanna screw anything up. I'm gonna have my friend show me exactly how to go about shifting since he uses his 3 gears on his automotatic 07 eclipse. and i try to keep my traction control off anytime i think i may get into a racing situation or something of that nature just to be safe lol.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:39 PM

15 Year Member

Here's how you shift.

Keep it in Drive and drive. :P

If you ever have the urge to want to touch that shifter, DON'T. Get a tune haha

Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 PM

lol nice.

yes i do get urges to sometimes but i'm just too afraid that i'm totally gonna f'up the transmission and what not. next car i save up for has gotta be a manual lol!

Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM

15 Year Member

I had my fun in my car...

Now I have a new transmission and I'm not going to be stupid.

Save a few grand :P

Quick Reply: U-bend delete???