General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Turbo build update

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 01:50 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Turbo build update

AN conversion. Aeromotive fpr

Attached Thumbnails Turbo build update-part_1457809652805_20160312_130429.jpg   Turbo build update-part_1457809651769_20160312_130416.jpg  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a interesting way to run charge pipes etc. Curious as to why you didn't get aftermarket fuel logs with a aftermarket fpr instead of doing it this way.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:01 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
That's a interesting way to run charge pipes etc. Curious as to why you didn't get aftermarket fuel logs with a aftermarket fpr instead of doing it this way.
No performance benefit in my opinion just more convenient and cosmetically appealing which is not my main concern. Also I've never seen anyone convert the hard lines to compression AN fittings so I thought it would be cool to try.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member

Many many people have converted the factory metal fuel lines to AN fittings. It's done with swagelocks (spelling maybe wrong) I'm just curious is to why you upgraded the fpr but not the fuel rail itself....

Old 03-14-2016, 05:30 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I'm sure, I just haven't seen it personally. Its not a big 3800 community where I'm at so I kinda just do my own thing. So as far as an upgrade goes, do you think I will get more fuel output using aftermarket logs, or are you just saying a cosmetic upgrade?... I will probably go to fuel logs when I convert my quick connects tho but one step at a time I guess.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member

It all depends on the power you plan to make. I made 472whp on factory l36 rails with factory fpr but had fuel pressure drop. I am not sure if it was a rail, fpr, or pump issue but I upgraded it all this winter. On the l36 rails the fpr is built into the rail so I had to go aftermarket rails to upgrade the fpr. Most do the upgrade for cosmetics I am guessing though as most don't make the whp I am lol

Old 03-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by hunterh047
So as far as an upgrade goes, do you think I will get more fuel output using aftermarket logs, or are you just saying a cosmetic upgrade?...
IMO the big market for rails is for the supercharged guys wanting to run a full size IC. Sure you can run injector spacers to bump the stock rail up, or you can hack and bend the stock rails, but logs are really the best way to fix that issue.

As for fuel flow, I wouldnt worry about it unless you've got some really big injectors and you're seeing potentially fuel related perfomance issues (knock, jumpy wide band levels at high rpm, etc). The system is still being fed by a single 3/8" line with multiple bends in it, so you won't see a notable system wide flow increase by just opening up rail size at the end. However, with a really big injector, I could see the added pressurized fuel volume of aftermarket rails dampening the opening of the individual injectors to keep the pulses from interfering with each other.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:57 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
It all depends on the power you plan to make. I made 472whp on factory l36 rails with factory fpr but had fuel pressure drop. I am not sure if it was a rail, fpr, or pump issue but I upgraded it all this winter. On the l36 rails the fpr is built into the rail so I had to go aftermarket rails to upgrade the fpr. Most do the upgrade for cosmetics I am guessing though as most don't make the whp I am lol

Just out of curiosity, what have you done as far as transmission mods to hold that power. I currently have a fresh rebuilt, but it's just stock parts.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
IMO the big market for rails is for the supercharged guys wanting to run a full size IC. Sure you can run injector spacers to bump the stock rail up, or you can hack and bend the stock rails, but logs are really the best way to fix that issue.

As for fuel flow, I wouldnt worry about it unless you've got some really big injectors and you're seeing potentially fuel related perfomance issues (knock, jumpy wide band levels at high rpm, etc). The system is still being fed by a single 3/8" line with multiple bends in it, so you won't see a notable system wide flow increase by just opening up rail size at the end. However, with a really big injector, I could see the added pressurized fuel volume of aftermarket rails dampening the opening of the individual injectors to keep the pulses from interfering with each other.

Idk if you can tell from the picture or not but I have a 1" phenolic insulator so I do currently use spacers and my injectors are #42.5's so that's why I was gonna go with aftermarket logs eventually, still a work in progress lol

Old 03-17-2016, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member

My trans had all the gm racing components, plus a full build from Dave at triple edge performance including upgraded clutches, valve body/channel playe, convertor. Also have a trans pan spacer and a finned aluminum pan and a aftermarket trans cooler.

A stock trans won't last long once making around 300whp if you like to stop light race and 1/4 race etc.