General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Trying to figure out why my car won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
1 Year Member
Default Trying to figure out why my car won't stay running

While my car won't stay runnin while driving it it drags an I'm not getting any power at all when I give it gas when it's sitting after a few seconds it cuts off can anybody watch this video an help me if they can in the video you can tell it sounds a Lil funny an you can hear it dragging

Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

WOW!
Thats sounds really seriously I'll!
have you tried a tune up?, Oil change? anything?

How many miles on it????
What motors in it?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM

The title of your video says "02 Monte Carlo L67 Swap." If you have a supercharged 3800 in there did you do any kind of tuning to your PCM? It's going to run like sh** if you don't tune it.

Is it a top swap or a full L67 swap? Plugs in the correct order? Any check engine lights? Hard to tell in the video.

EDIT: As a side note, 00-02 cars that are top swapped are a major pain in the *** to get tuned properly, we have a few people on here that still have issues or have gone through a couple motors due to tuning issues. If you completely swapped motors did you get the PCM from the donor car that goes with the motor?

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 04-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 AM
1 Year Member

I sent my PCM to Zzp to get it tuned for the top end swap with a cam an injectors an I just did the top swap I put new plugs in new oil added new trans fluid I have done everything even when I try to back up in reverse it cuts right off sometimes it starts to randomly shake idk what the hell is wrong an I just put a 5th motor in the car this weekend that just past an the check engine light is on

Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 AM

I'd get it dyno tuned. Mail order are really only good for stock or cars with some plug and play mods.

Secondly, get that code read and see what's its for. Do you have a scan tool you can check for knock?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
1 Year Member

No I dont have one an secondly I have the maf sensor in the back I got the adapter for it from the old to the new one behind the supercharger an if that's plugged up it won't even start so what's that about

Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM

Bad catalytic converter? Sounds like your car is choking to death.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dam20735
No I dont have one an secondly I have the maf sensor in the back I got the adapter for it from the old to the new one behind the supercharger an if that's plugged up it won't even start so what's that about
You might want to look into some sort of scan tool that will allow you to check your KR readings. If you car isn't fueling properly, or other issues that may be in your tune you can see your knock. Too much knock you'll chip pistons.

Secondly, if you completely unplug your MAF does it run any better/differently? Out of curiosity do you have the 4t65e transmission or did you take the HD tranny that goes with the motor?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM
1 Year Member

It won't start at all with the maf unplugged an I don't have a cat speed daddy headers an I use the stock trans

Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM

When ZZP did your tune do they know that you are top swapped with a 2002 and stock trans? Because there are some big differences in the tranny that occurred in 03 models and up - and there's a few differences between HD and non-HD trannys. That's why 00-02 top swappers need to make a hybrid file, to keep the data needed to run a pre-03 tranny but still have the data needed for the top swap in there.

Secondly, you may want to get some MAF cleaner and try to clean your MAF, if that doesn't work your MAF is probably bad and needs replacing. Your car should run without it plugged in. Which could be one reason your CEL is on, which also will screw with your fuel tables a bit and exacerbate the problems you're having even more.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out why my car won't stay running