General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

5th Gen ('95-'99): is it true!!! the mythical ss model

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In ad he posted LS..
I think he added SS on the side of Monte..

Year/Make/Model: 1996 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO LS - 76,000 Miles
Body Style: Coupe
Engine Type: 3.1L V6 MFI OHV 12V
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND sizset="39" sizcache="1">Attached Images</LEGEND>

</FIELDSET>

Last edited by zjerry; 06-06-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I seen one of these on Craigslist last summer and then I seen the same car in person a few weeks later. It had ss on the side too so it must have been a kit made available to dealers that included all the parts including decals. I should have bought it because it looks kinda cool. Also the lights make it look like a bonneville.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Well you can mod anything and make it faster than another stock car. Kind of beside the point there. Stock for stock its kind of hard to talk crap on another car when yours is on the same level. At the end of the day we are talking about a FWD V6 car and a bloated underpowered luxury car. One calling the other slow is like the pot calling the kettle black, lol.
fair enough perhaps i misspoke. i dont think bone stock the mark 8 should lose to any stock 5th gen monte. the z34 would be a better race, but i doubt the monte would take it. you cant take one video as proof of anything other than that guys monte, beat that guys mark8, that one day. theres alot of factors to think about. the driver mod, factory freaks, and god knows what condition both cars are in. take a mark 8 in good shape with a competent driver, and a equal 5th gen with a equal driver, and i think the mark 8 would walk the monte. those factors amongst others play huge roles in what a car can do especially on the street. ls4 montes run 14.3 13.9 bone stock, but if you have great weather, good track prep, good driver, theyve been known to go as fast as 13.6 bone stock they dont all do that, but in the right setting it can happen.

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
A stock Mark VIII would beat a stock Monte of the same year in most situations. That's just how it is, they had close to 300 hp and 300 ft lbs stock, weighing what a hundred pounds, maybe two hundred more than our cars? Their curb weight is 3700.

However, I digress. These guys are right, there are only LS and Z34 5th gen MC's.
agreed^^^

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
To each their own though, nothing about a Mark impresses me if I wanted a bulky car with that type of body style I'd get something like a 98 Riviera.
you should be impressed. the mark 7 lsc was a full size 5.0 mustang gt. they were known to beat up on camaros and firebirds, and the mark 8 is pretty much a undergeared, fullsize, cobra mustang. gm had nothing like them. the lt1 impalas were to expensive for the luxury offered, and rare to be compared. like i said some gearing and a blower, and that thing would be a fullsize luxury monster.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I find it funny that we're discussing a thread from 8 years ago.

Just my opinion, but the Mark VIII was designed to appeal more to the luxury car buyer. That's why it's a Lincoln Mark VIII, and not a Mercury Mark VIII. The Monte Carlo is a Chevy, not a Cadillac. I don't think it's really fair to compare a Lincoln to a Chevy. They should be comparing Lincoln to Cadillac.

Yes, I realize their thread started with the guy asking a simple question.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM

its a good discussion and i if you want to discuss cadillacs against it in that time period the lt1 fleetwoods would be where its at. they would be blown away also. the mark 8 is a viable threat, and i wouldnt take it lightly. one never knows if theres a wolf in sheeps clothing. there were all types of cars that posed a serious threat back then and you would never know it till it was too late. the spirit rt is one. if i was in a 5th gen i wouldnt want to get caught unknowingly by one.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh, I'm not saying the Mark VIII isn't a viable threat or better than a comparable cadillac of the day. All I'm saying is that they're comparing a car from Ford's luxury division to a GM car from an entry level division.

And I've always said that GM severely watered down the performance of their cars for decades. And the 5th gen Monte is part of that era. The era extended all the way into the mid 2000's before GM finally started putting decent performance into their cars.

So unfortunately the Mark VIII will beat most of the GM cars from the same time period.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member

Why only one light on lower bumper panel ??

Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by zjerry
Why only one light on lower bumper panel ??

I wondered that too. I think it says somewhere in the thread that it was busted.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I wondered that too. I think it says somewhere in the thread that it was busted.
In this pic it looks molded in to bumper..??

Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by zjerry
In this pic it looks molded in to bumper..??

I'm pretty certain it is just a valance that is stuck on with double sided tape and/or screws. The quality of the picture makes it hard to tell.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): is it true!!! the mythical ss model