General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Transmission Cooler Line Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Angry Transmission Cooler Line Removal

Hello, I've a 2000 Chevy Monte Carol, 110K miles, 3.4L. Need assistance with how to remove the transmission cooler line that connects to the radiator. Can't seem to break the bolt loose that screws into the radiator. Not sure whether this is a quick connect fitting or not! it definitely doesn't seems like it. Also having problems removing the fan shroud. It doesn't seem to want to come out. Should this be remove prior to removing the cooler line? Please advise if you have experience in removing the transmission cooler line from the radiator! A video link or youtube video link would be a great reference if anybody know of one. I ususally use www.1aauto.com as a video repair source but can't find any videos on this issue. thanks..................

Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not done a radiator on a W-body (such as our Montes), but I have on some other cars.
1 - Get a product like PB Blaster and soak the bolts (preferably over night).
2 - Good set of wrenches (line/flare wrenches preferred, these are wrenches that are all closed except a spot to feed around a line). See if you can twist the fitting. I have never seen on the radiator side a "quick connect" or "easy off" fitting. It's always been a regular fitting (sometimes after market radiators may have an adapter as they work for cars with bigger diameter trans lines).
3 - If step #2 appears to not work (such as it may be rounding the hex head of the fitting) STOP! Get either a "plumbers wrench" (sometimes called a "Monkey Wrench", the type usually with a red handle) and use that (I've never done this one, but I know some people who have with success). I typically grab a good set of vice grips. All you need the vice grips to do is hold on good, and give it a fast/firm twist (90% of the time this has worked on most any fitting giving me issues). If it breaks it free, odds are you can go back to using a wrench to finish removing the fitting.

As for the fan shroud, the radiator fans do need to come out to get the radiator out (the radiator will tilt back towards the engine and lift out).