General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

trade intimidator for ssr

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good call LuSe4, I forgot that it was a 5.3. As far as the SSR being slow or fast, even with the LS2 in the SSR, it's still slower then the LS1 car it replaced (02 Camaro SS). Is the SSR fast? Compared to most cars yes. I really am bitter though that they killed the Camaro to produce that truck, only to see the truck cease production later on. I'd suggest getting an 06 GTO M6

However, if you did buy it I would understand. The SSR does look good, especially in black

Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is keeping the Monte and getting a nice 2002 F-Body an option?

You can usually find a decent unmolested F-Body for around 12,000 something for fun and you'll still have the awesome intimidator DD

Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I always figured they killed the Camaro/ TransAm to push the GTO, but then they forgot to push the GTO. The SSR is too different to be the replacement. And IMO the GTO was a p*ss poor replacement (sorry Joe)

Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I personally have never liked the SSR, but understand to each his own. They are different and I would at least like to have a back seat. If I was going for a 2 seater, many options out there. Anyways, why has no one mentioned the ultra cool Challenger R/T yet. You should be able to find a low mileage one when you return. And would like to say Thanks for your service...

Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM

What actually killed the f-body was low sales and the fact that the same car had been produced for 9 model years. The Ssr was not built to replace the f-body. The Ssr was a niche vehicle (similar to the chrysler/plymouth prowler) designed to attract customers into the showroom. The GTO also was not suppose to replace the f-body. They brought over a Holden from Aussie land and called it a Pontiac to simply fill the hole left by the f-body. Wether or not the SSR and GTO came to america, the f-body still would have been killed.
Also, the f-bodies last year was supposed to be 2000 or 2001, but due to huge outcries from people like us, they produced another year (or two, my memory is struggling right now!)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 77gp
I personally have never liked the SSR, but understand to each his own. They are different and I would at least like to have a back seat. If I was going for a 2 seater, many options out there. Anyways, why has no one mentioned the ultra cool Challenger R/T yet. You should be able to find a low mileage one when you return. And would like to say Thanks for your service...
And I forgot to mention, I love your r/t.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LuSe4
What actually killed the f-body was low sales and the fact that the same car had been produced for 9 model years. The Ssr was not built to replace the f-body. The Ssr was a niche vehicle (similar to the chrysler/plymouth prowler) designed to attract customers into the showroom. The GTO also was not suppose to replace the f-body. They brought over a Holden from Aussie land and called it a Pontiac to simply fill the hole left by the f-body. Wether or not the SSR and GTO came to america, the f-body still would have been killed.
Also, the f-bodies last year was supposed to be 2000 or 2001, but due to huge outcries from people like us, they produced another year (or two, my memory is struggling right now!)
correct.

the f-bodys were doomed cause of poor sales. even thought the mustang couldnt keep up with it for a block the mustang killed it sales wise.

on the ssr if i were to get one id get the ls2 one, but the 5.3 is definitely the cheaper of the two. car craft built the 5.3 and with a cam and bolt ons it made the same figures as the ls2. id say if you can find a low mileage 5.3 one and dont mind modding it to make up for the lack of power go for it. not for nothing, but i was looking at the gtos with the ls2 and they really arent that quick especially not stock. im sure there will be some others to chime in about how theyre 12 second cars and what not, but they arent. you see them struggle at the track all the time. with the kind of money youre looking to spend why not a g8 gt with low mileage? i wouldnt want to buy a car thats 5+ years old. thats just me though best of luck to you.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The ssr is pretty cool but it seems like a mid life crisis car/truck for the guys the just wouldnt fit in a corvette. Also there are plenty of 2010 Camaros on cars.com for under $23000.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:13 PM

2010 Camaros?... I don't think he's looking for boats.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
The ssr is pretty cool but it seems like a mid life crisis car/truck for the guys the just wouldnt fit in a corvette. Also there are plenty of 2010 Camaros on cars.com for under $23000.
are these v6, 1ss, or high mileage/accident cars?

you could also look into the colorado v8. i was looking into these when it was rumored that they were going to make a colorado ss. it has the 5.3 in it and is way lighter than the SSR.

Quick Reply: trade intimidator for ssr