General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

trade intimidator for ssr

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Default trade intimidator for ssr

what do you guys think? after i come back from deployment im looking to trade my 04 intimidator for 05 ssr. im yet to test drive one but i loved the unique wierdness of em since 2003. opinions everyone

Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is the '05 SSR the bad *** one? I agree with you - I like the irregularity of these "trucks" and wouldn't hesitate to own one. I'm not trading my Monte for one. But if you get one with the 6.2 you'll have the power to silence the nay sayers.

If you get one we gotta see pics! I noticed the during the calendar voting at SSR owners are the best photograpers

Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't like the SSR for multiple reasons. The main reason is that GM killed the Camaro so that they could produce the SSR. That was dumb. Second reason is that it's overweight. I can't remember how much exactly it weighs, but it was built upon the Trailblazer's platform so it probably weighs around 5000lbs. That's why those trucks are pretty slow.

Also, early model SSR's came with the LS1's (5.7L) and later ones came with LS2's (6.0L). The SSR was never offered with an LS3 (6.2L). Regardless, even with the LS2, SSR's barely could break into the 13's. Did I also mention that GM killed the Camaro for that truck? I'm not bitter

Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by nighthawk626
what do you guys think? after i come back from deployment im looking to trade my 04 intimidator for 05 ssr. im yet to test drive one but i loved the unique wierdness of em since 2003. opinions everyone

I think U should get what will makes you `Happy 4-Sure...
I like them because they are unique and there's not many on the road, but they would be a Sweet Truck 4 SurfBoards
Let us know what you decide `ok ~> Good Luck & Do you homework b-4 U spend your $'s : ) Below is some infor on the SSR

REVIEWS: 2005 Chevrolet SSR LS2 6.0

From the April, 2009 issue of Automobile Magazine
By Rusty Blackwell

We froze our tails off in a 2005 SSR during a Michigan December so we could give you the lowdown on the upgrades that Chevrolet granted its sweet-looking but poor-selling retro roadster truck. Chevy didn't give us an SSR without a heater, mind you: we just dig convertibles, and the SSR's nifty tri-fold power hardtop is too cool to resist.

During our maiden SSR voyage to the 2003 Indianapolis 500 (August 03:78), we weren't impressed with its power, but said "it is probably fast enough" to be a boulevard cruiser. Not many people want a slow $41,995 cruiser, though, and sales were disappointing, with a 301-day supply as of December 1 (which prompted GM to halt production at the SSR-factory in Lansing, Michigan, for five weeks of the first nine weeks of early 2005).

For the SSR's third model year, Chevy finally woke up and added 390 hp and 405 lb-ft of Corvette power and an optional manual transmission. Also new is retuned steering, revised exhaust routing, the addition of a dead pedal, an optional mp3-capable stereo, and more.

The host of "Tool Time" would grunt about the 30 percent more horsepower and 22 percent added torque that the '05 SSR picks up from the Corvette-sourced LS2 6.0-liter V-8. With the new Tremec six-speed manual 'box, the 4760-lb SSR will blast to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds and through the quarter in the 13.8s, more than two seconds faster than the '03-'04 models. The new four-speed automatic is about two-tenths slower than the stick, but still gives the acceleration you'd expect from a "Super Sport Roadster." We'd be pretty pissed if we had an '03 or '04 model, however, because the '05 price increased by less than $500, and you'd have a hard time selling an underpowered, used SSR with such a surplus of the fast ones dormant on dealer lots.

The added muscle still doesn't make the Trailblazer-based SSR the hands-down choice of car buyers searching for an under-$50,000 toy. There are quite a few $45,000 roadsters out there today, most of which are just as quick as the new SSR, use higher-quality materials, and handle much better than the hefty truck. Even so, the convertible pickup doesn't have any apple-to-apple rivals, and it has a ton more cargo space than an Audi TT or Chrysler Crossfire.

Notice we didn't say "stowage space." While the SSR has 23.7 cubic-feet of cargo space in a carpeted bed that's capped by a nice hard tonneau cover (which leaked a bit in heavy rain), the truck is worse than a regular-cab S-10 for stowage space in the passenger compartment. The smallish door pockets are only hand-scrapingly accessible and the thin center console is big enough for a couple Clementine oranges and the owner's manual. Coaxing your grandmother's cat out of a tree is easier than closing the glovebox, which isn't big enough for the owner's manual. Smoker? Your pack of Winstons won't even fit in the nearly useless drawer next to the ignition. Nor will your cell phone. We wouldn't suggest budgeting space behind the seats for a jacket. And don't even get us started on the Little Tyke-quality flip-down cupholder, which jammed at the plastic pins when we tried to flip it closed once. ...next page >>

Page 1 2 Next

I'm outa here

Last edited by Space; 02-12-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
I don't like the SSR for multiple reasons. The main reason is that GM killed the Camaro so that they could produce the SSR. That was dumb. Second reason is that it's overweight. I can't remember how much exactly it weighs, but it was built upon the Trailblazer's platform so it probably weighs around 5000lbs. That's why those trucks are pretty slow.

Also, early model SSR's came with the LS1's (5.7L) and later ones came with LS2's (6.0L). The SSR was never offered with an LS3 (6.2L). Regardless, even with the LS2, SSR's barely could break into the 13's. Did I also mention that GM killed the Camaro for that truck? I'm not bitter
The ssr never came with a ls1. The first engine it had was a 5.3 liter I believe was lifted straight from a silverado.

The ls2 would run to 60 between 5 and 5-1/2 seconds. I don't think that is slow by any means.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love the look of them, but to kill such a reliable and quick DD for one seems like an odd thing.

They look more like the Sunday cruiser not anything you would drive consistently. There is a nice red one up the road that I pass by constantly. I always turn my head, they are definitely sweet.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM

i appreciate the input guys. i also looked into getting an 05/06 gto but the dealers being very honest with me told me that they couldnt find one that wasnt beat up from racing and stuff. any thoughts on any other cars? ive considered mustangs but i dont wanna hop on the bandwagon. a billion people have mustangs

Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM

or
or

I could go all day posting...What is your price range...
That would help us ~> Help U with suggestions....

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM

I never liked mustangs, for their built design... but I would jump on the 11 GT's bandwagon in a heartbeat.

Chargers are coming back with a new front and rear end. They look so badass.

Subaru has quite a nice stable to choose from... but man they're pricey.
Good luck on the hunt though.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 AM

lol thnx for the tips. my price range tops off at 23k even then im inclined to talk them down another 5 grand. so far ive owned 5 cars and my first love was camaro's. after 3 monte carlos, a grand prix and firebird, i still havent got a camaro :-((

Quick Reply: trade intimidator for ssr