General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Traction Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Default Traction Control Issues

Hello all. New to the forum and glad to be here. I was searching around for some answers online recently and I came across this awesome community.
The reason I was searching is because I have what I'm coming to realize is a common issue with my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. More specifically, my traction control system.

Let me begin by saying that when I first bought this car, the check engine and service vehicle lights were both on. After a few weeks, I started feeling this grinding in one of the front wheels and couldn't figure out what was going on. I took it to Chevy to have them read the diagnostic and they said I needed a new catalytic converter and were going to charge me $1600. Obviously, that's way over priced, so I took it elsewhere and had it replaced for less than half of that cost.

I found a reliable mechanic referred to me by a friend. I asked them to run another diagnostic since the converter had nothing to do with the grinding and certainly didn't fix the issue. This time it was the traction control issue that popped up on the computer. I was told that the right front wheel hub assembly had an issue and needed to be replaced. About $500 later, the issue was gone and my car was finally running perfectly with no issues.

Fast forward about two months and the grinding has started again. The traction control message is now coming on just about every time I start the car now. I remember reading that someone else had this same issue that kept coming back (of course this was after I had already spent the money to replace mine), so I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a solution?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are multiple problems that it could be. EVERY wheel has a Hub Assembly, every hub assembly could throw a grinding noise and set off your Trac OFF and ABS lights.

If the one tire had this problem, any of the other 3 now could. It could be water getting into the connector at any wheel also. There is also a ground underneath the air box that sometimes gets dirty.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the forum, did u have the left side replaced to?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Welcome to the forum, did u have the left side replaced to?
Thanks.

Just had the right side replaced as that's what the code was throwing. It feels like it's coming from the exact same side.

One other thing to note: When the mechanic took the wheel off to replace the hub, he told me that it looked almost brand new. This leads me to believe that whoever had the car before me had the exact same issue and had already tried replacing it which is why they were selling the car to begin with.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
There are multiple problems that it could be. EVERY wheel has a Hub Assembly, every hub assembly could throw a grinding noise and set off your Trac OFF and ABS lights.

If the one tire had this problem, any of the other 3 now could. It could be water getting into the connector at any wheel also. There is also a ground underneath the air box that sometimes gets dirty.
I haven't driven the car in the rain lately. Is this something that you think could get wet and stay wet long enough to cause trouble?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could also be a ground.

But yes, these connectors can hold water inside of them. In my parents' 06 Monte Carlo SS we actually disconnected the sensor and had to drain a good amount of water from inside, then clean it up, dry it out and reconnected it

Old 11-22-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It could also be a ground.

But yes, these connectors can hold water inside of them. In my parents' 06 Monte Carlo SS we actually disconnected the sensor and had to drain a good amount of water from inside, then clean it up, dry it out and reconnected it
Interesting. I've never taken one of these off. Is there a cap on the hub, or do you have to take the entire thing out? The mechanic lead me to believe that once removed, you had to replace it no matter what as there are crimped wires that no longer connect after removal.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Two months seems like an awfully short period of time, but if the grinding has begun again I would suspect the quality of the hub assembly. Some of the off brand/less expensive units are inferior and don't last long. From what I have read Timken and SKF are the brands that seem to have any longevity. Did you put a lot of miles on the car since the hub was replaced? Did the mechanic/shop offer any type of warranty on the hub assembly?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Two months seems like an awfully short period of time, but if the grinding has begun again I would suspect the quality of the hub assembly. Some of the off brand/less expensive units are inferior and don't last long. From what I have read Timken and SKF are the brands that seem to have any longevity. Did you put a lot of miles on the car since the hub was replaced? Did the mechanic/shop offer any type of warranty on the hub assembly?
I drive my car exactly 90 miles every 7 days, so in two months, I've put 720 miles on the car.

I'll have to go back and look at the receipt. The part was purchased through the shop, so ideally, I should be able to go back and explain the situation. There's gotta be a limited 90 warranty if nothing else.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i have a 2006 monte carlo lt3, when the T C would engage , it would say service traction control. Then the trans would shift fast & hard, i was told by my dealer Tom Henery Chevrolet that the shift control module needed replace. they kept the car over night cause they told me that the module sat inside the trans.GOt the car back now the traction control and the trans shift find.But now most of the time when your at 60 mph or higher and punch it the trans downshifts nice but the car does not have a strong pull,its like something went into default, any ideas what it is? other then that the car runs great with only 37,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Issues