General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

top of the line MC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Default top of the line MC?

i get confused with all these Monte LS, LT, and SS differences. I'm just curious as to if my Monte was the "top-of-the-line" monte in 2002. I've read that in the early 2000s none of the Montes' were supercharged. Does this mean then that I have the "top" monte version you can buy of a 2002 monte from a dealership? Here are some pictures to see (click here).

You can view the pics of it above, but for more info, it does have leather and automatic seats, and a sunroof (idk if that came on the "low-end" models).

Just a bit curious as this is my first car (and Monte, obviously),
MonteCarloSS02

Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The top of the line Monte Carlo in 2002 was a Pace Car Replica - An SS with high sports appearance package and checkered decals.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
The top of the line Monte Carlo in 2002 was a Pace Car Replica - An SS with high sports appearance package and checkered decals.
so mine is the same as the 02 pace car except the pace car model just had an enchanced appearence and decals?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I like the 2002 Intimidator model Monte carlo..

2002 Dale Earnhardt “Intimidator Edition.” This car had one color scheme; a black body with galaxy silver rocker panels and front and rear air dams. A thin red stripe above the silver ground effects was also included. Just behind the rear side windows, the Dale Number 3 logo was placed. The car also featured silver “Intimidator” SS badges on the right side of the trunk and standard Monte Carlo SS badges the bottom of the vehicle, just in front of the rear tires. An Intimidator badge with the number 3 also appeared on the dash, and Earnhardt’s signature appeared on the gauge cluster. This edition also came with 5 spoke, diamond cut wheels and received GMs L36 3800 V6 engine.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I think "top of the line" varies a bit. If you are looking at the drive train, then an SS for '02 (which is a L36 3800 Series II) was the best drive train for that year. After that, it pretty much becomes what is your taste in visual effects. Such as:
- SS with the High Sport Package (I believe that was the diamond spoke wheels, vertical spoiler, different exhaust tips and different ground fx).
- Pace Car Edition
- Intimidator Edition
And in some cases, a couple aftermarket companies re-styled some of the Montes right from the factory.

If you want to get deeper into it, you can begin looking at the different RPO codes for what options were offered on the Monte and compare to options you do and do not have.

When I was shopping for mine, the '03 Pace Car (which was blue and silver with the high sport package and the pace car decals and such) was what I wanted. But I could not find one in the right condition, right options, right price. I ended with my '04 (and to be honest, until after I got more into the Monte, I never knew about the High Sport package or to be specific the different ground fx, it was later I realized I did not have that and it is honestly not a big deal to me, I've since upgraded my spoiler and wheels, the two most noticed items).

Last edited by The_Maniac; 07-31-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:14 AM

Basically,If you put the kicked up rear spoiler on and the diamond cut wheels, you would have all the bells and whistles that came with the Pace car etc,short of the badges and Limited edition on the gauge cluster, correct if wrong please!!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by claydoh
Basically,If you put the kicked up rear spoiler on and the diamond cut wheels, you would have all the bells and whistles that came with the Pace car etc,short of the badges and Limited edition on the gauge cluster, correct if wrong please!!
Looking at his photos, he is also missing the high sport kit.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by claydoh

I'm not sure about the '02, but the High Sport package on my '03 SS included HD suspension and HD lightweight brake package (aluminum calipers/pistons) in addition to the cosmetic upgrades. There are a couple other differences, but can't recall them at the moment.

You can go here - Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder - and enter your VIN to find out what options were included on your car.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM

thanks for the help everybody! it is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM

SS models are considered the top model. They come with leather seats, heated, the highest output engine (supercharged from 04 on up I believe) and they are just all around a better car in my opinion. I was never really impressed with the 3.4 they used in the models below the SS. Those are still nice cars nonetheless, but they aren't an SS.

Pretty sure the NASCAR driver edition Montes were a little more tricked out than just a regular SS but am not sure. Appearance wise, they just have paint schemes to match the driver's colors. But, I've never seen the interior of one.

Quick Reply: top of the line MC?