General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

thinking of selling the 80.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default thinking of selling the 80.

so as the title says im thinking of selling my 80 monte carlo. ive had the car since i was 18. its been through numerous combinations. i think its time to let someone else to have fun with it until i can afford to build another one. i know i probably should post this in the classifieds but its just a feeler to see what peoples thoughts were on it. this car has a silly amount of money in it because of the 12yrs and combo that have been in it. so with all that said heres a run down of the car and ill put some pics up that im sure everyones seen.

its an 80 monte carlo. manual windows, seats, and doors. the car currently has a balanced&blueprinted 4 bolt main 406sbc with a holley 750 double pumper, edelbrock torquer II intake, petronix billet distributor, accel coil,holley mechanical fuel pump world products sportsman II heads, scorpion roller rockers, chrome moly pushrods, comp cams flat tappet approx .525 lift cam, forged pistons (10.75:1 comp), oliver 6" forged rods, forged crank, dynomax long tube headers, 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust (welded), 40 series flowmasters, no cats. 3 row radiator. transmission is a 700r4 manual auto valve body, dacco 2500 stall convertor, aggressive shift kit, bm mega shifter, bm line lock( not installed). rear end is a 7.5 out of a monte ss, lakewood traction action bars. it has a auburn 9* carrier, 3.73 gears, moser axels, wheels and tires are weld racing prostars 15x6 front 15x8 rear bfg radial tas 205/60/15 front 275/60/15 rear. the car has a pair of bucket seats out of a 80/90s dayton, new dash cover, headliner, carpet from opg, vdo tach, sunpro oil/volt/temp gauges(i also have all the interior plastic molding for it as the ones in the car are cracked from the sun light). the body needs work. it has a amx hood scoop on it and a K&N 9" excelerator aircleaner sticking through the hood. i painted the car myself so you can imagine. im not a bodyman by any means but she looks good from 15 feet through a dirty windshield. good news is i have 90% of the body panels. pair of power window doors, harwood fiberglass trunk lid with ss spoiler(extremely rare not made anymore), nos gm full quarters (also not made anymore), driver side fender. also included would be a center console never mounted in this car(i personally dont like them.) spare pair of tail lights, head lights, and the rpm intake that should be on there. also have a set of nugget crager wheels that go with it. 14x6 front 15x8 rear 195/70/14 275/60/15. i drove this car everyday no problem rain,snow, or sunshine. car hasnt been regularly driven in 2yrs. was only drive to work and back (10miles) with this combo. current combo has less than 10,000 miles on it. i would say that this car is 80% complete. i absolutely guarantee this car to go into the 12s on a set of radials. the motor was built to take a 300 shot and go flat 11s. it needs nothing to drive. to complete the car would take body work, a 9" or a dana 60 or comparable rear, and a set of radials. i dont tell tall tales and i would never lie to someone about what the car is. i wouldnt sell this car unless i felt the time was right. as much as my gf hates this car shes doesnt want me to get rid of something thats meant the world to me. i was actually going to give the car to my nephew since he has 3 years to finish it before he gets his license, but unfortunately hes into import cars. this car was a dd/street race car since ive owned it. this car is a local legend and has had its share of street fights. its beaten terminator cobras from a low roll, geared n2o 5.0s, evos, cadillac cts v, mitsubishi mirage(evo 5 swapped) and held its own against the bmw e60 m5 to name a few. i dont want to part with this car, but its time to grow up a little and i want to go back to school, marry my girl, and start a family. having a hot rod just isnt an option at this point. though i think the price im asking is steep considering the car isnt in a desirable body i think its fair. i have about 15g in receipts for this car. im asking 7g for everything. the price is firm. i dont intend on selling this car to a 17 year old so that he can blow it up or wrap it around a pole.

like i said this is just a feeler. im not desperate to be rid of it and it breaks my heart to let the great destroyer go, but we all have to grow up and leave the past behind us. anyway any questions or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 12-28-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM

22 views 0 replies and counting!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM

Ive always wanted a 3rd gen with V8 power wish i could afford it.
I got married last year and my wife is prego so i'll just be moddin my 02 ss.
Good Luck Man!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 PM

congrats on the wedding and child. i actually always wanted a 1st gen, but the 3rd gen grew on me over the years. like i said it was just a feeler see what everyone thought of the price and what not. i wouldnt take less than i asked for so i doubt itll be selling anytime soon.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Looks like a killer Monte. But its to rich for my blood.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM

im sure many will say the same. kind of the reason why i didnt want to post it on craigslist or anything. my buddies 74 firebird has been on there for 2 years with no one willing to put up the cash, and that thing would run toe to toe with my monte and its a california car. the worlds filled with tire kickers. hell im one of them.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM

I think that's a pretty fair price for all the mods that have been made. If I was only 10 years younger...... I'd consider it.

Maybe your nephew will see the coolness of American Muscle and change his views on it?

Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 AM

i honestly regret selling my original monte till today. everybody that knew her tells me i shouldnt have. now i have the 86 ss and 04 ss and i have a lot of ways to go with the 86 but i will never let her go. but good luck on selling him/her. u might regret getting rid of it one day

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Geddy
I think that's a pretty fair price for all the mods that have been made. If I was only 10 years younger...... I'd consider it.

Maybe your nephew will see the coolness of American Muscle and change his views on it?
im glad someone thinks the price is fair. i wish i was 10yrs younger too. lol. my nephew likes the whole turbo 4cyl thing. its a shame my brother has a shop and a race team and the kids not into it. even got offered to do junior dragster, but then again i guess divorce turns people against a parent sometimes. i even tried to make a compromise with him and told him we could build a nissan 240 with a ls1 in it so it could be the best of both worlds and he didnt seem into it. oh well.

Originally Posted by nighthawk626
i honestly regret selling my original monte till today. everybody that knew her tells me i shouldnt have. now i have the 86 ss and 04 ss and i have a lot of ways to go with the 86 but i will never let her go. but good luck on selling him/her. u might regret getting rid of it one day
i hear that. i sold my 88 cutlass supreme my dad bought me that had a straight body and interior for the monte, and i always regretted it. bodywork is hard, and the old man refused to build a big block olds with me for the cutty so it had to go. still think about that car and it was seen cruising about with the bb it deserved.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Why is keeping this car not an option? I have an 06 SS. I also have 4 children a dog a cat and a woman who claims to be my wife. You should be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. If safety is your concern, I would bet that if we went head on with each other, you would be in better shape than me. I don't think you should get rid of it. Keep it. Enjoy it with your future family. Good luck with whatever you decide. Just don't make a decision that you will regret later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thinking of selling the 80.