General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Thinking about picking up a Monto SS few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Default Thinking about picking up a Monto SS few questions

Ive been looking for a new car and im really liking the Monte SS's.. I plan on spending about 8-10 grand. I just want to know about your guys experiences with this car as far as reliability and problems. Is this the right car to buy if i want a reliable car to put somewhat alot of miles on? I'm going to be traveling back and fourth from college all year round so it needs to be reliable. I'm looking at the 00-03 year ranges right now with the 50-65k mile range as thats what i can afford, what kind of mileage are these cars good for before they run into problems.

Also what are the differences from 99-05 in these cars, any major changes or a certain year i should look out for? Anything else i should look out for when buying one of these cars?

Thanks alot guys hope to join the club soon.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Default RE: Thinking about picking up a Monto SS few questions

Where are you located? I am trying to sell my 2001 SS with 64,xxx miles on it. I've had it since 37k and it has been quite reliable. The coolant level sensor went bad, but I hear that's a common issue. Of course, the intermediate steering shaft started making noise but some grease took care of that. I had to replace an outer tie rod end and the hazard switch, but other than that, just maintenance for me.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:00 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I bought an '06 LTZ Monte back in october of 2006. We'd rented an '06 to travel to the Monte Nats in Nashville. This car was great. So much so it prompted me to look for an '06 of my own.

Well that and the fact I found out the place I work for could get a discount on GM cars.

I also own an '86 LS Monte I've had for 10 years now. A car I like very much. It..... "cough, cough".... has "cough, cough".... a lot of miles..... "cough, cough" on it but did when I got it. The guy I got it from abused it.

Till today the '06 Monte has been great. (The batteries dead)
And I use to the '86 as a show car. Not that it really is, but I try.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:03 AM

man one day you drove it and then the next day the battery dead?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:14 AM

No BEN he said he rented one, drove it, loved it and bought one for himself. He leaves his in a barn, covered most of the time. Also I had a question for you RJ. I left mine in my garage for about 3 weeks and it's battery died too. I had to jump it. Is there a reset button somewhere or something? The reason I ask is I didn't loose any of my radio channels and the radio didn't lock.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 PM

ohok sorry i got the info mixed up

Old 02-24-2007, 05:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No BEN he said he rented one, drove it, loved it and bought one for himself. He leaves his in a barn, covered most of the time. Also I had a question for you RJ. I left mine in my garage for about 3 weeks and it's battery died too. I had to jump it. Is there a reset button somewhere or something? The reason I ask is I didn't loose any of my radio channels and the radio didn't lock.

Sorry for the confusion. We rented an '06 Monte to go to the Monte Nats back in june, 2006. We liked it a lot so I decided to buy one.

I've owned my '06 Monte since october, 2006. My local Chevy dealer found it for me. It was used with 10,000 miles on it. They said it had been a company lease car.

Cain,
Strange as it may sound the only time I tried starting my '06 Monte yesterday, I could turn the ignition to start just fine, But when I tried to turn it to off and remove the key, it wouldn't?

I did notice the time or two I turned on the stereo nothing was saved? Not even the time.

The dealer told me to call the 1-800-GM-Roadside (whatever the number is?) and have them come to jump start my car. They said if it couldn't be started then they'd have it towed in.

I did make an appointment with the dealer for tuesday morning to have the car looked at.... "Just In Case."

Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey, welcome to the site

a monte would be a very good choice for a reliable car....try to get the 3.8 l engine so you dont have to worry about the intake manifold gasket problems on the 3.1l engine and the 3.4 l engine

as for milage, if its all highway comuting i get about 4-500 miles on a tank of gas....in town i get about 300 miles

best car for gas milage i have ever had

Old 02-24-2007, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: InTheIROC

Where are you located? I am trying to sell my 2001 SS with 64,xxx miles on it. I've had it since 37k and it has been quite reliable. The coolant level sensor went bad, but I hear that's a common issue. Of course, the intermediate steering shaft started making noise but some grease took care of that. I had to replace an outer tie rod end and the hazard switch, but other than that, just maintenance for me.
Going from Zip Code to Zip Code, you guys are about 7.5hrs and 476 miles apart (Sault Sainte Marie, MI to Palos Hills, IL).

The Monte is perfect for comfortable long-distance driving. It is a great criusing car that gets very decent gas mileage for such a torquey V6! I have taken it on a few trips to California from Las Vegas and I HATE driving long distances!! This car actually made it enjoyable for me.[/b][/b]

Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 PM

this is defnintly the best car i have had as far as mileage per gallon is concerned

Quick Reply: Thinking about picking up a Monto SS few questions