Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Thinking... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/thinking-19620/)

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 10:59 AM

Thinking...

Why am I thinking about getting rid of Mr. Burns for a more fuel efficient vehicle? Help me out here.

Burns is getting a little over 15 MPG per tank and now gas is climbing back up to $3 a gallon. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but it sucks putting almost $50 into the tank every fill up.

Cheer me up or give me alternate car options that I could literally trade my Monte straight up for that will get me better fuel economy and still be fun to drive.

/rant.

MAMONTE 03-25-2010 11:11 AM

Oh no, Rick I hate hearing the thought! :( Gas prices was a HUGE reason why I went for the 3.5L over the SS, even though I would love that SS V8! :) That and overall prce at the time. LOL

I understand what you are saying with the gas mileage, I used to drive the truck (89 3/4 ton, 5.7L V8) as my DD, and it got on average 15-16 MPG (with my mainly HWY driving). It was painful filling that thing up once or twice a week (having to slide my credit card twice just to fill up the 35 gallon tank).

I say option 1 is the best option, keep Mr. Burns :)

Option 2, look at a older Monte with the 3800, you could get one pretty cheap. Or if you want an 06/07 body, look into getting a 3.5L/3.9L Monte. In either case, you could probably end up walking out of the situation with some money in your pocket, still drive a Monte, and get better MPG's!

On average, I get about 24-25 MPG in my Monte (and i'm heavy on the gas, and drive at 80+ all the time). If I keep cruise control at 80, I can pull 28 MPG from it, and under 80 I can easily get 30+ Mpg on hwy trips.

I am guessing you do almost ALL city driving since you are only pulling 15 MPH from your 5.3L, which in an all city situation, I think my 3.5L would probably pull off about 20-22 MPG.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-25-2010 11:19 AM

Right from the title of the thread, I knew this couldn't be good HAHA

Trading him in for a nice black Supercharged Monte would be fun... (and the wheels would swap over)

But just remember all the reasons why you CHOSE Mr. Burns over the other cars. It wasn't because of MPGs, it was a 2-door coupe, comfortable, leather, good sounding, good power, etc. etc. It had all the options you wanted.... to throw all that away just to get some MPGs isn't worth it.

Get your CAI already :) :) that should add an MPG or 2

*edit*

Just swap Montes with MaMonte ;)

JAFO 03-25-2010 11:32 AM

I can "feel your pain" Like Michael when I started working in Columbia my 01 GMC with the 5.3 was my DD. After a few months of 17.6-18.3 mpgs I bought the Monte. Currently get 26.5-27.3 (again like Michael mostly highway, near 80mph). My Z28 will get me just over 21, driven my mom's Impala SS on a few occassions and can only keep my foot out of it enough to average 21.3.

Your statement of: "that will get me better fuel economy and still be fun to drive." As I said I've driven the Impala a few times into Columbia. Nothing will be as fun and get better mileage.... well except maybe a Tesla but that'll cost ya'. Sadly you have to choose what's fun or what is easy on the gas. or find a POS little beater as a DD and save Mr Burns for the fundays. I realize that many people can't afford it but that's the way it is.

Maybe get a job mowing lawns or baby sitting for extra gas money???? :D I'm trying... just ask anyone I work with they'll tell you how trying I can be!

irulesoha 03-25-2010 11:36 AM

No.

Perhaps a higher, longer car payment.
Maybe higher insurance on a newer car.

You'd just throw away the money you put into the Monte.

Plus, is saving $15/week on gas really worth getting some crappy, slow, fuel efficient car that will have higher repair costs? No.

This is what will happen.

You'll get your new Prius. Pull up next to an 06 SS, and then you'll cry.

Cut costs somewhere else if you have to. Lower phone plan. Eat less. Cancel the gym membership you don't use. Sell lemonade in your spare time. Kids don't need to go to college and they certainly wont need a car to drive. Skip your anniversary.

vm1971 03-25-2010 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 (Post 211968)
Why am I thinking about getting rid of Mr. Burns for a more fuel efficient vehicle? Help me out here.

Burns is getting a little over 15 MPG per tank and now gas is climbing back up to $3 a gallon. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but it sucks putting almost $50 into the tank every fill up.

Cheer me up or give me alternate car options that I could literally trade my Monte straight up for that will get me better fuel economy and still be fun to drive.

/rant.

oh man... i hate to say it, but im gettin 16.1 mpg, ... i hear you about ther $$.
but she's so worth it. that car is as fun to drive (and powerful when need be) as it was the day she came home. and i still get looks and the occasional challenge. these feelings and rushes of excitement only come with the PUSH of a true V8, IN MY OPINION.

so much that i ALSO hate to say.... next up (this year soon)
is the CAMARO 2SS RS. yes, the V8...

i say keep it. YOU WILL regret downgrading for fuel efficiency.
but,
if you DO go down to a friendlier gas-sipper... malibu LTZ (2010) is one of the nicest, finest, INCREDIBLY PEPPY V6's ive EVER set foot in. it ripped on the highway, it looks BADASS... and the materials and feel inside were BEYOND impeccable. no wonder the car is kicking ass.

GOOD LUCK!

ChibiBlackSheep 03-25-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by irulesoha (Post 211982)
Cut costs somewhere else if you have to. Lower phone plan. Eat less. Cancel the gym membership you don't use. Sell lemonade in your spare time. Kids don't need to go to college and they certainly wont need a car to drive. Skip your anniversary.

This had me laughing!!! :D

irulesoha 03-25-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 211984)

Its all about priorities. And Ted here, like all of us at some point, is having some trouble getting his priorities straight.

If someone buys an SS with a V8 pushing 303hp...big, mean, fast cars runs in his blood. My first car was an old Nova, ever since I've wanted a Monte Carlo SS and when I graduated knee deep in debt I still went out and bought (and overpaid for) a 5.3L.

Mr. Burns and Ted are a good couple.

MAMONTE 03-25-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by irulesoha (Post 211982)

LOL! :D I like your plan for cost cutting. I'm sure the wife/ GF will love the last option, hell, she'd probably help make the for sale signs. hahaha :D

ChibiBlackSheep 03-25-2010 11:53 AM

Mr. Burns and his Chevelle make a really nice garage pair.

AwesomeSS 03-25-2010 12:07 PM

I'd keep Mr. Burns and save up for a DD.

Space 03-25-2010 12:12 PM

`Ted U just can't cause we all would cry :(

Have you thought about getting a daily driver that gets better MPG's and save the miles on Mr Burns :confused: It would save your AweSome Monte V8 SS for pleasure, and good weather & keep your miles down.

I had to sell mine to pay for college expenses, because they ended `up higher then what I expected. Now, I have a junker to drive & I am saving for another AweSome Monte of your caliber....

Some members have made some really funny posts, but there is a message in their post. "We must give `up to keep the things we enjoy in life....Sacrifice is never E.Z., but it sure has it's rewards
4-Sure....

We all have 2 do, what we all have to do 2 survive in this World and
I sure hope that you find a way to survive and keep your Award Winning AweSome Monte Carlo SS V8 4-RealSure....

Please keep us updated...& Good Luck

bumpin96monte 03-25-2010 02:47 PM

Yikes, 15mpg is pretty rough- luckily I've been getting closer to 20 in the city w/ my GXP...

Have you thought about getting a daily driver / beater? That way you could get a little cheap $1000 Toyota or Honda or something with a 4 cylinder, and get your 30 mpg city for your daily commute- then just bring the monte out when its nice and you want a change (maybe like weekend cruising or something).

If you're looking to get rid of the car altogether- the next option I could think would be getting a monte with an L67. A handful of cheap mods would get you back to 300 hp, and you'd get better mpg (I was low 20's in the city with my old gtp).

If you're looking for something with significantly better gas mileage with similar power- you're going to have to start looking at a turbo car- something like an SRT-4, or a used EVO or something. That way when you're out of boost- the car gets regular 4 cylinder gas mileage (plus the fact that most are manual transmissions also)- but then you get into it, and have the power you're used to.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-25-2010 02:56 PM

Knowing that Rick already has a "sunny day" car, I don't think getting ANOTHER car would be better for him.

nascar43 03-25-2010 02:58 PM

mr burns

:eek: :eek: Say it ain't so...Mr Burns :eek: :eek: !

Have you considered finding a LT or LS ?
3.4 or N/A 3.8 ?
The V-6's get pretty decent gas mileage.
Just a thought.........:cool:

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 211984)

Had me laughing too!

Originally Posted by irulesoha (Post 211985)
Mr. Burns and Ted are a good couple.

That's true.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 211987)
Mr. Burns and his Chevelle make a really nice garage pair.

Oh yeah. I love having 2 SS cars. It's awesome!

Originally Posted by AwsomeSS (Post 211989)
I'd keep Mr. Burns and save up for a DD.

I'm trying to save up for a wedding. lol I can't save up for that too. I just don't make enough money.

I've gone through my budget several times trying to save money here and there and I've done so. Things like canceling XM and HBO, you know? I've done it.

Trust me when I say I love the car, and I definitely love hanging out here and talking to all of you guys! I've been looking at the possibilities of how I could seriously pull off an even trade. If a dealer would even consider the possibility.

Alright now, don't poke fun or talk crap, hear me out...
I found a 2006 Hon-duh Accord Coupe EXL-V6 w/ Navigation, 27K miles (same as the Monte) for $15,900.
That's a 240 HP V6 that gets 20 MPG city. So you know it can do better with a little HWY mixed in. Insurance could even go down based on it being a Honda V6.

Here's a few pictures, what do you guys think? Honestly. :)

http://cdn.dealerpeak.com/photolibra...0x-7257554.jpg
http://cdn.dealerpeak.com/photolibra...0x-7257557.jpg
http://cdn.dealerpeak.com/photolibra...0x-7257562.jpg
http://cdn.dealerpeak.com/photolibra...0x-7257563.jpg
http://cdn.dealerpeak.com/photolibra...0x-7257564.jpg

Oh, and I already checked, my wheels would fit. FYI! lol

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 212023)
Knowing that Rick already has a "sunny day" car, I don't think getting ANOTHER car would be better for him.

Exactly. I can't do it. When it's perfect out I don't want to choose which car I'm going to take out because 9 times out of 10 it would be the Chevelle. I can only be a 2 car guy. At least until after I get married and begin sharing an income with my beautiful, nurse, wife! lol :)

Originally Posted by nascar43 (Post 212024)
:eek: :eek: Say it ain't so...Mr Burns :eek: :eek: !

Have you considered finding a LT or LS ?
3.4 or N/A 3.8 ?
The V-6's get pretty decent gas mileage.
Just a thought.........:cool:

Yes, and no. I've looked at them, and without the SS skirt kit it just doesn't do it for me, and the 6th gens (pre-face lift) really aren't up my alley either. The performance and economy is there, but the refinement and just fall a tad short in my opinion. Please no one take offense to that. I love all Monte's and you guys should know that.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-25-2010 03:16 PM

/thread

Rick just called my car ugly.

I'm done helping you :P

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 212030)
/thread

Rick just called my car ugly.

I'm done helping you :P

NO WAY!!!!!!!!! I did not. :mad:

Damn you for spinning my words! lol

So what do you think Mike (and others of course), honestly?

ChibiBlackSheep 03-25-2010 03:27 PM

I think if a dealer is saying that it get 20MPG City, then it probably doesn't. Your Monte Carlo's window sticker I bet said 19/20 City didn't it?

Also, IT'S A HONDA!!! Get something fixed and pay twice as much, there goes the gas savings.

East 03-25-2010 03:31 PM

Don't Honda out on MCF. :P lol jk

Seriously, pick up a cavy/sunfire junker and do your daily rounds in it or an older saturn sl/sl2. You could still drive your pride and joy on the weekends and when visiting friends and stuff. Good luck.

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 212034)
I think if a dealer is saying that it get 20MPG City, then it probably doesn't. Your Monte Carlo's window sticker I bet said 19/20 City didn't it?

Also, IT'S A HONDA!!! Get something fixed and pay twice as much, there goes the gas savings.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef7c366/0 - It's mixed, but definitely loads better than what I'm getting. Monte had 18 city MPG on the window sticker.

And my cousin, is a Honda mechanic. Just putting that out there.

Geez guys, you're killin' me. I'm getting whooped on. lol

irulesoha 03-25-2010 03:46 PM

Whatever the sticker mileage on a car is, online, on the window, at the dealer, whatever it is...its a high estimate. Thats with an old lady driving the car. If it says 20 in the city, you'll be getting 17-18.

15 in town isn't really that bad.

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by irulesoha (Post 212044)
Whatever the sticker mileage on a car is, online, on the window, at the dealer, whatever it is...its a high estimate. Thats with an old lady driving the car. If it says 20 in the city, you'll be getting 17-18.

15 in town isn't really that bad.

Lol. Don't you know, old ladies don't know how to use the internet. Come on! lol

irulesoha 03-25-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 (Post 212048)
Lol. Don't you know, old ladies don't know how to use the internet. Come on! lol

Good point. Silly me.

MAMONTE 03-25-2010 04:32 PM

A Honda over the Monte! I personally think you are crazy to go through a trade just for an extra 3-4 MPG's in a Honda.

Also, I actually think your insurance might go up. Japanese cars are more expensive to insure than American cars. The only think the Honda has going for it is the fact that its a V6 instead of the V8, but I still think the Monte is probably cheaper.

Not to mention, as Mike said, repairs on a Honda will be more expensive than an American car.

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 04:38 PM

I definitely appreciate the feedback!

Still thinking...

Blazed SS 03-25-2010 06:08 PM

just get a scooter/motorcycle ride a bike don't sell your car man!! car pool take a rickshaw ride a bus sleep at work ride a horse or maybe http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/fu...icient-car.jpghttp://hellforleathermagazine.com/im...3_Hybrid_3.jpg

bumpin96monte 03-25-2010 06:37 PM

Didn't realize you bought the monte as your DD, scratch the idea of a daily beater then. What made you change your priorities about getting better gas mileage on your DD then? Obviously everybody knew that gas wasn't going to stay low forever- and it always seems to go up in spring anyways.

Here's a few pictures, what do you guys think? Honestly.
I think that accord would be a waste. Rated gas mileage on your monte should be 18/27, and rated mileage on that accord 20/29- so you're only gaining 2 mpg, virtually nothing- and losing 60 hp for it. I know you said you're only getting 15 mpg now, but I bet there is a reason for that- something wrong with the car, lead foot, or hilly/heavy stop-go drive- so I'd bet if you're doing that much worse than average now, that it would be the same with a new car.

The other bad thing is you're going to lose money trading also unless you sell your car private party. Obviously the dealer isn't going to go through all the hassle of trading cars for nothing (even if they are worth the same)- they've got to have some kind of profit in it- so I bet you'll lose an easy $1000+ of your 'equity' that will just disappear into the dealership's pocket.

Not sure how many miles you've got on your car, but KBB shows a private party of $11,345 in good condition- and a trade in of $9,375- (I just put in 50,000 miles- not sure how many you actually have)- obviously you could get a little more than that if you parted your car out ahead of time so you didn't lose all your money from the mods.

Only having ~$10k to work with and wanting something fun to drive and significantly more fuel efficient is going to put you into a smaller car with a much smaller engine. You could get something similar if you didn't mind going to older cars- but I'm assuming you're trying to stick to something almost as new.

Enzo354 03-25-2010 07:28 PM

Suck it up... tell me would you rather save $1-2 a day or ride in something ugly slow and uncomfortable?

Blazed SS 03-25-2010 07:34 PM

maybe you should try stickers i know they get you hp maybe green will get you mpg??

monte07 03-25-2010 07:48 PM

it is this we dont want you to sell unless needed. as in need money now to pay for a medical bill. if you trade in your monte in for some thing as like a fart can honda or toyota i will find you and slap you with a octopus and leave a sardine in the defroster vent. there is ways to help to get it better gas milege dont mash the gas when at a light. change the oil with synthitic yes it does help lower idel change the plugs with newer ones put on a cold air intake and a free flowing exaughst. also do some thing as in get a dd that is an amarican that you know if you do a little on it it will run anouther 100k

RickAKATed10 03-25-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 212081)
Didn't realize you bought the monte as your DD, scratch the idea of a daily beater then. What made you change your priorities about getting better gas mileage on your DD then? Obviously everybody knew that gas wasn't going to stay low forever- and it always seems to go up in spring anyways.

I think that accord would be a waste. Rated gas mileage on your monte should be 18/27, and rated mileage on that accord 20/29- so you're only gaining 2 mpg, virtually nothing- and losing 60 hp for it. I know you said you're only getting 15 mpg now, but I bet there is a reason for that- something wrong with the car, lead foot, or hilly/heavy stop-go drive- so I'd bet if you're doing that much worse than average now, that it would be the same with a new car.

The other bad thing is you're going to lose money trading also unless you sell your car private party. Obviously the dealer isn't going to go through all the hassle of trading cars for nothing (even if they are worth the same)- they've got to have some kind of profit in it- so I bet you'll lose an easy $1000+ of your 'equity' that will just disappear into the dealership's pocket.

Not sure how many miles you've got on your car, but KBB shows a private party of $11,345 in good condition- and a trade in of $9,375- (I just put in 50,000 miles- not sure how many you actually have)- obviously you could get a little more than that if you parted your car out ahead of time so you didn't lose all your money from the mods.

Only having ~$10k to work with and wanting something fun to drive and significantly more fuel efficient is going to put you into a smaller car with a much smaller engine. You could get something similar if you didn't mind going to older cars- but I'm assuming you're trying to stick to something almost as new.

There's nothing wrong with the car. That's real world MPG for the LS4, and I've researched the Accord V6 and it's real world MPG in the city is like 21, mix in a little HWY and I'm sure it's even better.
You're probably right though about the dealer trade-in thing. My car, as I've said in previous posts, has 27K miles. The same as this particular Accord.

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 212109)
Suck it up... tell me would you rather save $1-2 a day or ride in something ugly slow and uncomfortable?

Honestly I probably will keep my car, I was just "thinking."

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith (Post 212112)
maybe you should try stickers i know they get you hp maybe green will get you mpg??

HA!

Blazed SS 03-25-2010 07:53 PM

i knew you would like that lol

monte carlo 3831 03-25-2010 07:56 PM

27k miles, I'd keep it, that is a beautiful car...

nemesis 03-25-2010 08:02 PM

smart car

Enzo354 03-25-2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith (Post 212112)

Psh, stickers are out, performance chips are in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...item3efaef3314

thumpingetocar06 03-25-2010 08:46 PM

Well if it helps at all... I have a 2009 honda civic as a winter car..... def not worth the sacrifice of power, comfort, and knowing you can waste the little ricer that pulls up next to you with an exhaust so loud, that you can't think straight! I know your probably wondering why Im bashing honda when I own one, but comparing it to the monte just doesnt even come close! Idc how much fuel is.... I will pick up a second job if I had to lol

monte07 03-25-2010 09:17 PM

what no coment on the wise crack that i mads on slaping some one with a squid???? gee thanks ;P

Blazed SS 03-25-2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 212136)
Psh, stickers are out, performance chips are in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...item3efaef3314

Wow:eek: i bought 10 of them for my car and now i will gain 50 mpg thanks ebay/ brock :cool: lol
lets not tell any and this will be our internet gold mine i an quiting my job tomorrow