General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Thinking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Lightbulb Thinking...

Why am I thinking about getting rid of Mr. Burns for a more fuel efficient vehicle? Help me out here.

Burns is getting a little over 15 MPG per tank and now gas is climbing back up to $3 a gallon. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but it sucks putting almost $50 into the tank every fill up.

Cheer me up or give me alternate car options that I could literally trade my Monte straight up for that will get me better fuel economy and still be fun to drive.

/rant.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh no, Rick I hate hearing the thought! Gas prices was a HUGE reason why I went for the 3.5L over the SS, even though I would love that SS V8! That and overall prce at the time. LOL

I understand what you are saying with the gas mileage, I used to drive the truck (89 3/4 ton, 5.7L V8) as my DD, and it got on average 15-16 MPG (with my mainly HWY driving). It was painful filling that thing up once or twice a week (having to slide my credit card twice just to fill up the 35 gallon tank).

I say option 1 is the best option, keep Mr. Burns

Option 2, look at a older Monte with the 3800, you could get one pretty cheap. Or if you want an 06/07 body, look into getting a 3.5L/3.9L Monte. In either case, you could probably end up walking out of the situation with some money in your pocket, still drive a Monte, and get better MPG's!

On average, I get about 24-25 MPG in my Monte (and i'm heavy on the gas, and drive at 80+ all the time). If I keep cruise control at 80, I can pull 28 MPG from it, and under 80 I can easily get 30+ Mpg on hwy trips.

I am guessing you do almost ALL city driving since you are only pulling 15 MPH from your 5.3L, which in an all city situation, I think my 3.5L would probably pull off about 20-22 MPG.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Right from the title of the thread, I knew this couldn't be good HAHA

Trading him in for a nice black Supercharged Monte would be fun... (and the wheels would swap over)

But just remember all the reasons why you CHOSE Mr. Burns over the other cars. It wasn't because of MPGs, it was a 2-door coupe, comfortable, leather, good sounding, good power, etc. etc. It had all the options you wanted.... to throw all that away just to get some MPGs isn't worth it.

Get your CAI already that should add an MPG or 2

*edit*

Just swap Montes with MaMonte

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 03-25-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM

I can "feel your pain" Like Michael when I started working in Columbia my 01 GMC with the 5.3 was my DD. After a few months of 17.6-18.3 mpgs I bought the Monte. Currently get 26.5-27.3 (again like Michael mostly highway, near 80mph). My Z28 will get me just over 21, driven my mom's Impala SS on a few occassions and can only keep my foot out of it enough to average 21.3.

Your statement of: "that will get me better fuel economy and still be fun to drive." As I said I've driven the Impala a few times into Columbia. Nothing will be as fun and get better mileage.... well except maybe a Tesla but that'll cost ya'. Sadly you have to choose what's fun or what is easy on the gas. or find a POS little beater as a DD and save Mr Burns for the fundays. I realize that many people can't afford it but that's the way it is.

Maybe get a job mowing lawns or baby sitting for extra gas money???? I'm trying... just ask anyone I work with they'll tell you how trying I can be!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM

No.

Perhaps a higher, longer car payment.
Maybe higher insurance on a newer car.

You'd just throw away the money you put into the Monte.

Plus, is saving $15/week on gas really worth getting some crappy, slow, fuel efficient car that will have higher repair costs? No.

This is what will happen.

You'll get your new Prius. Pull up next to an 06 SS, and then you'll cry.

Cut costs somewhere else if you have to. Lower phone plan. Eat less. Cancel the gym membership you don't use. Sell lemonade in your spare time. Kids don't need to go to college and they certainly wont need a car to drive. Skip your anniversary.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Why am I thinking about getting rid of Mr. Burns for a more fuel efficient vehicle? Help me out here.

Burns is getting a little over 15 MPG per tank and now gas is climbing back up to $3 a gallon. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but it sucks putting almost $50 into the tank every fill up.

Cheer me up or give me alternate car options that I could literally trade my Monte straight up for that will get me better fuel economy and still be fun to drive.

/rant.
oh man... i hate to say it, but im gettin 16.1 mpg, ... i hear you about ther $$.
but she's so worth it. that car is as fun to drive (and powerful when need be) as it was the day she came home. and i still get looks and the occasional challenge. these feelings and rushes of excitement only come with the PUSH of a true V8, IN MY OPINION.

so much that i ALSO hate to say.... next up (this year soon)
is the CAMARO 2SS RS. yes, the V8...

i say keep it. YOU WILL regret downgrading for fuel efficiency.
but,
if you DO go down to a friendlier gas-sipper... malibu LTZ (2010) is one of the nicest, finest, INCREDIBLY PEPPY V6's ive EVER set foot in. it ripped on the highway, it looks BADASS... and the materials and feel inside were BEYOND impeccable. no wonder the car is kicking ***.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by irulesoha
Cut costs somewhere else if you have to. Lower phone plan. Eat less. Cancel the gym membership you don't use. Sell lemonade in your spare time. Kids don't need to go to college and they certainly wont need a car to drive. Skip your anniversary.
This had me laughing!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
This had me laughing!!!
Its all about priorities. And Ted here, like all of us at some point, is having some trouble getting his priorities straight.

If someone buys an SS with a V8 pushing 303hp...big, mean, fast cars runs in his blood. My first car was an old Nova, ever since I've wanted a Monte Carlo SS and when I graduated knee deep in debt I still went out and bought (and overpaid for) a 5.3L.

Mr. Burns and Ted are a good couple.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by irulesoha
LOL! I like your plan for cost cutting. I'm sure the wife/ GF will love the last option, hell, she'd probably help make the for sale signs. hahaha

Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 AM

15 Year Member

Mr. Burns and his Chevelle make a really nice garage pair.

Quick Reply: Thinking...