General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Standing Water in my Monte!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Default RE: Standing Water in my Monte!

Thanks jeff2425, I'll definitly check that.
Rick,
So far, and we've had some hot days and cold/humid nights and no fogging. When I peeled back the carpet I dried it with my daughters blow-drier (she got a kick out of that). I never eaven though about a de-humidifier, I'll keep that one in mind. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM

I had the same problem with my 2002 monte.. I bought it a few months ago, a coule days after i bought it, it rained, and I had 3 inches of standing water on my passenger side floor. It took me forever to figure it out, cause as in your case everything else was dry. I actually had water getting in my passenger side door as well, so eveytime i stopped or hit a bump, I could here it slosh around. It turned out to be the seal on the bottom of the windshield. The cornors were peeling up and water just went striaght in. I bought some RTV glue for windshields and glued down the corner. That ended up solving the problem, a few days later it poured and nothing gt in.. hope this helps...

Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 PM

See, this is why I post on MC. People actually respond and help to solve a problem.
thanks, kschmidt319

Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 PM

3 weeks ago I found the same problem with my 06 MC SS. It had rained cats and dogs for 2 days, and I had a small pond on the passenger side footwell. I took it to the dealer, and they kept it overnight, took out the seat, pulled up the carpet and dried it completely out. They told me that they found the leak and fixed it, tested it by running water over it for an hour and was dry as a bone. Well, on 1 May, it rained cats and dogs again. I come out the next morning, get in the car and had at least 1" of water on the passenger side again. I took the car back in again this morning, got it back this afternoon, and this time the service manager told me that the sun roof drain that runs down the door panel was clogged up. My question to anyone who is a tech, is the manager blowing smoke or is he correct, and where do the drains run exactly? I swore the water was coming in over the door kick panel and down into the footwell. Anybody have the correct answer to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Greeny; 05-06-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I have the same problem in my 03 ss. the front passenger footing area. there is water in there now matter afact well there was yesterday. i am going to check the cabin air filter thing and see what happens.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I have the same problem in my 03 ss. the front passenger footing area. there is water in there now matter afact well there was yesterday. i am going to check the cabin air filter thing and see what happens.
If you have a sunroof, you might also want to check those drains to see if they are clogged. I still have not figured out where exactly these drains are on the sunroof, but will get out there and look when the water drys up outside. I did check the car this morning after it rained all night and no water inside the car so the drains might have been the problem.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Default WATER BROKE ON MONTE! (not pregnant)

I was moving my satellite radio antenna from the back of my trunk lid to the inside back window. Well i go to pull the carpet back and BAM AT LEAST TWO INCHES OF STANDING WATER from the front seat all the way to the back. I tried to absorb the water with towels, but that was like using a thimble to empty a sinking canoe. It must have been that was for a while because I have noticed an 'oaky' smell these last few weeks.

Well I pulled the passenger chair out (amazingly it fits in the trunk), got the shop vac and vacuumed up as much water as I could. I then used my wifes hair dryer to dry out the soaked foam...I don't know what to do. Do I pull the entire rug and replace it with a new one (probably $250, not in the cards right now because a new fuel sending unit is priority number one) or pull it, and replace the foam with some local bought stuff...

Please advise to all that have added to this thread. I now have Damp rid bags trying to do any sort of work over night...Should I just let it dry out for a few days? Should I just pull the entire carpet? I think I will tomorrow...Pull the entire carpet and replace the foam.

I have to say, there have been minimal mold in the carpet (granted for the amount of water under there). I will say kudos to the designers for getting a higher grade foam. I got bigger beef with them then the foam.

I have the passenger chair out now...as i said. I can drive for a while like this. So i can really let the carpet dry. But, AM i better off pulling the entire carpet out (i.e. remove driver seat as well...then let the carpet dry in the sun...

any advice from my peeps...

My little brother is an ASE certified mech. he said I may have my ac condenser pipe clogged and I have to put it on a rack for some-line to be purged with condensed air.

any accuracy on that? I did have the passenger door FULL OF WATER AT THE BOTTOM about 2 months ago, could this be a part of it?...what does this all mean?

I love my PAID OFF Monte, putting a little money into it makes a big difference in the love it gives me back...So im willing to do alot of extreme DIY.

One last peice in the puzzle- 3 months ago the radiator fluid condensor that makes heat in the cabin, purged the radiator fluid into my passanger seat as a warning that there is a problem...But, no water was released...only radiator fluid...it pooled at the bottom of the passanger seat floor...So we clamped off the fluid that went into the pump. its a great cheap fix. I live in Florida so I dont need heat at all...I ll keep a blanket in the trunk for the four nights is actually too cold in south FLorida.

THanks all! You are my hero's

Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM

just fyi I have the same reoccurring issue, but mine is only when its nose pointing downhill. so i never point facing down a hill when parking, but the silicone emulsion stuff sounds good. I figure mine is coming from a the sunroof drain hose but have yet to find the leak. oh and mine is on the drivers side.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Default Follow up to Puddle of Water in Monte

Ive had had my carpet pulled back on the passenger side of my monte while I sort out my leak problem. After a very heavy rain here is south florida i realized the main leak was coming from outside the car, and not via the evaporator core. I realized this because a huge puddle was on the floor of my car after a rain storm the night before.

I went to home depot and bought a thin piece of white rubber sealant that has tape on the back (used for windows). I placed two layers on the under edge of Cowl plastic cover (which covers the cabin air filter).

It seemed to do the trick. After a heavy rain, only a few drops made it in the car. I need to stop the rain completely, but this is a big start. I had a least two gallons of water under my passenger seat without even knowing.

I ripped out all the foam padding and will replace with carpet padding after this issue is resolved.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Default Additional water leak found

water was building up in the passenger door and pouring into cabin. The door had so much water in it, the water would OVERFLOW From the door through the door and the plastic molding (i.e. where the speaker and arm rest it). A GM master mechanic just told me today to take that plastic part off the door, take marine grade caulk and literally caulk the water barrier (i.e. the clear plastic between the window inside the door and the white styraphoam side barrier) HALF WAY UP THE DOOR (that way you still have access to change the window motor if you have too...I probably will dremel the drain holes in the bottom of the door a bit more while the plastic door interior piece will be off...couldnt hurt.

best of luck!

P.S. I bought new carpet underlying at Home Depot in a bid roll and recut new pieced to replace the foam that was soaked through...

Quick Reply: Standing Water in my Monte!