General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Standalone Help??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Standalone Help??

So WITHOUT GETTING INTO TOO MANY WHY'S please... Im guessing i need to run some sort of standalone device to control a secondary electronic throttle body,( just open/on, or closed/off). What I want to do is have this 2nd electronic throttle body turn on with the car (open up) and remain open until I hit a set rpm(ex.4500) then close up completely until I reach back below the set rpm(ex.4500). My question is, what would be the best way of controlling this electronically and automatically based on my rpm's?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

So you are essentially looking at a dual carburetor setup like in the old days? not sure how this would be possible as I believe most of the fuel and air mixture's are controlled by the computer, my first guess is that you would have to have the computer programed for the excess fuel and air and it may control the "turn on" point of the second throttle body?

You could have a switch located inside the car to turn on the second throttle body, but it would immediately throw your fuel and air mixture off and probably make the car start throwing codes, not sure if you would need a secondary fuel pump for the extra throttle body as well also a custom intake manifold to accept the second throttle body or at least a custom adapter if nothing else.

Not sure if I helped you much but hopefully have given you some food for thought

Last edited by ohara; 07-09-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:29 AM

I know you said you don't want too many questions, but if you explained a little bit about what you're trying to do, perhaps we could help you better.

I don't think you need a full standalone ecu to be able to do this though. They do make aftermarket throttle position controllers (I believe Fast makes one). All you'd have to do is wire the correct resistance/signal for WOT in place of where the throttle pedal input would go. Then you use an rpm signaling module (they have these available for nitrous systems, you'd just have the flip the output so it's off over a certain rpm instead of on). Then you'd wire that on/off output to your electronic throttle body controller.

That way, the controller would come on with your ignition, wired through the center pin on a simple relay. The controller, being fooled to be at permanent WOT would immediately open the tb. Then over whatever rpm, your rpm module would trigger your relay to turn 'on', which would take power off the center relay pin and move it to the outer pin (hooked up to nothing). This would kill power to your throttle controller, causing it to close the throttle (as they should do as a built in safety measure).

If that doesn't work, you could always have your rpm module trigger a relay to the input of the throttle pedal position sensor instead. Instead of having an actual pedal, you'd have two hardwired resistors (or however else your system senses pedal position), and your relay would just toggle back and forth between them.

This does sound like it could get pretty expensive with all the modules though.