General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Spark Plug Wires; New. "Check Engine" Light!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Spark Plug Wires; New. "Check Engine" Light!

I think I messes-up a wire taking off the Boots to the rear set of three. The Check Engine Light came on and its idling rough. Will a new set of wires. properly innstalled get the light off or do I need to go somewhere and and have the Fault Code read and then have them reset the thing?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Default RE: Sparak Plug Wires; New. "Check Engaine" Light!

I'd goto Autozone and they can test it for you for free and tell you the codes and the fix.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member

There are great people on this site ... and you're right up at the top of the list "04 Intimidator" ... thanks for looking-out for me. I'd be lost in no-man's land without this valuable information coming to me from all you guys.

Thank you, thank you!

Rick Massey

Old 12-22-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member

It is with a great deal of personal satisfaction that I report to The Membership ... particularly those who wrote with Tips and Advice ... that My Monte has her new Plugs and Wires and is purring like a kitten right now. Idling like an Atomic Clock at 7-Hundred rpm's ... and, the "Check Wallet Light" has been extinguished (for the time being) by the Manager of my local AutoZone who had the Hand-held device to reset me.

Sure, I had to get the Pro's to tell me about rotating the Engine forward with a Ratchet Strap ($14.98) and to take my time and not be intimidated by the Boots that wouldn't come off and the little Cable Routing Bridges that didn't want to open and release their grip on the trio of wires within ... but, I managed to not break any and get the new wires in them nice and neat!

I could do this job again ... in like ... 2 days flat. Because I left behind a lot of NeverSeize on the Nuts and Bolts I had to undo to get the Engine rotated away from the firewall.

I just want to be sure to thank everyone who contributed to my first adventures in Monte Carlo Maintenance by checking-in with the OFFICIAL "Thank-you very much" ... I got it DONE and DONE ~~> Right! Without having to bring it to anybody. Without the Dealer. Without the Dealership Mark-up's on Parts. With my own hands. And I feel really really good about that tonight and want you to enjoy the rush with me!

Spark Plugs and Wires ... Oh, yea!
Been dare and done Dat.

"Kin ah gits uh 'Hey-menn' on nat"

Thanks everybody!

Rick Massey

Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Good to hear you got your Monte running right!!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks Brother ....

Not without the help I got from Googling "Monte Carlo Forum" ... and winding-up here and picking the brains of some guys who really know their 'shee-idd'

I got this thing running like a fine timepiece ... right now ... and I hope to keep it that way. Glad I didn't have to charge myself 10-Bucks and hour for the time I put-in on her. Know anybody else that took, like, 3 days to do a set of Plugs and Wires. If there was something that could make the job more difficult for a first timer ... I found it and it set me back. I'm just very happy to have the Plugs and Wires in there. NOW, I know the score ... the wires are good for a Looooong time and I'm giving these Plugs 8 - 10 thousand and swapping them out again! The Path won't be so hard to follow next time and I have the Ratchet Strap which pulled that Engine away from the firewall with ease!