General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Something wierd in my engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Default RE: Something wierd in my engine bay

i'd say close your hood and drive your car. gm wouldnt spend 5cents on something if they didnt think it was worth a dollar. could do a number of things for you, other than look dumb.

might reduce road noise
might reduce underhood tempertures if youre brakes get hot, especially right next to the fender. if thats the case, in solaraslayer's pic it looks like the abs module would benifet, and in xrook5x's pic i'm guessing thats ac lines running by there.

but then, if it bugs ya, it doesnt matter. its your car, make it the way you like it.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: 2000LS

i'd say close your hood and drive your car. gm wouldnt spend 5cents on something if they didnt think it was worth a dollar. could do a number of things for you, other than look dumb.

might reduce road noise
might reduce underhood tempertures if youre brakes get hot, especially right next to the fender. if thats the case, in solaraslayer's pic it looks like the abs module would benifet, and in xrook5x's pic i'm guessing thats ac lines running by there.

but then, if it bugs ya, it doesnt matter. its your car, make it the way you like it.
Good points. The AC lines in my car might run another way.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 PM

Weird.. Thats not in my car either. I doubt that is stock. Defintially aftermarket...

Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 PM

I bought the car as a 2006 leftover with 52 miles on it. I doubt the dealership put it there

Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the factory put it there, they must have put it there for a reason. I know GM has done some pretty strange things, like the U-bend in our exhausts, but this does seem weird.

Why it's on yours and not other 06 models is a good question. Maybe a band-aid repair done by the dealer? I doubt it though. I'd ask the service department at the dealership why your car has it, and other 06 models don't. If it's necessary to keep it there, maybe paint it the color of the strut tower to disguise it?

However, unless you plan on entering your car into show-n-shine contests, I'd do like someone else suggested, close the hood and only you know about it. Well... and us too. We know about now too. But we won't say anything for the right price.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:46 PM

I am really curious as to what its for. Aluminum doesnt add much for strength, it doesnt look like a patch job. Maybe its a cover put on for shipping, or to protect the painted engine bay when the engine is installed, and perhaps just wasnt removed. Does it peel off?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 AM

Hyper, to tell you the truth, I haven't even touched it so I'm not sure if it peels off. It isn't bolted or spot welded in place so I'm assuming it can come off fairly easily.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

is it steel? i would venture a guess as there's a hole there and they used that to cover it, or your car has been in an accident and thats how they fixed it, did you buy your car used?

Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I say get rid of it......

Then he finds out it's for the ultra-rare Z41 suspension cars, only 12 made.

But he removed it and throws it out cause we told him to.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Wiz, it's not steel. I boght the car as a 2006 leftover with 52 miles on it. I'm going outside now to take a better look at it.

Quick Reply: Something wierd in my engine bay