General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Should I do a tune up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by HammerV8
As I believe the intake has to come off to do the back 3 plugs?
You can disconnect the front motor mounts (dog bones) and rock the engine forward and gain another foot of room to work with.

Originally Posted by HammerV8
I would go with OEM stock pads/rotors. Normal aftermarket stuff would be fine too... Unless you are running something serious under the hood, OEM like replacements will suit the car just fine
OEM rotors like to warp in the rain with a heavy stop. That's why I recommended the centric premium blanks. I agree, you don't need drilled or slotted or anything crazy. Just a good quality blank rotor.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Bad news guys. I went to GM service shop and they told me I wouldn't be able to install a dic because my model doesn't have the wires for it

Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM

They told me the same thing about my heated seats but low and behold...

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by dan_the_man
Bad news guys. I went to GM service shop and they told me I wouldn't be able to install a dic because my model doesn't have the wires for it
They lie all the time.

I'm not getting the console gauges on my Camaro 1LS in a couple months because it's an expensive add-on package.

For about $200, I can buy the gauge pack from GM and install it myself and save almost $500 because they supply the wiring, just cap it off if you don't ask for the gauges lol

Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM

GM is asking for $500 for a tan dic and $1200 for a different color! The rep told me don't spend that kind of money just keep hunting for it in the junkyard.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could also check craigslist or ebay for one.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
They told me the same thing about my heated seats but low and behold...
Did you have to buy any wires or were they already there?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by dan_the_man
Did you have to buy any wires or were they already there?
I only had to buy the switch panel for the Hi/Lo option that goes in the console. The harness to connect to the switch was in the console just had to fish it out, and the connector for the seats themselves was just under the carpet right under the old seats, just fish that out and plug it into the connector that's already on the seats. So I didn't have to buy any wiring.

With the DIC they do NOT put it into a connector so you will actually have to splice into the wires, the wires ARE there, they just don't come to a nice connector. BBEngineer used to sell a harness that let you just plug and play, but as he is closed you'd have to physically splice the wires, but you do have the actual wires to splice into.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 AM

15 Year Member

If you really want it, it's not going to cost you $1200, but it's not an extremely simple add-on. I have it in my car, so personally I've never done the job.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Is the DIC something you actually plan on using? Or do you just want it for the sake of having it? Many people never use it other than to look at the outside temp. It would be a waste of time and money if all you want is the compass and thermometer functions.

Odd that your SS didn't come with it.

If you're looking for the Onstar feature, it's not in the DIC. It's on the optional rearview mirror.

Quick Reply: Should I do a tune up.