General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Should I buy an LS4 Monte !?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Gxp has wider tires up front than in the rear. Sometimes its solenoids that go bad in the transmissions, other times its actual parts. When they go, the best thing to do is get one from triple edge performance. They're the go to place for these transmissions.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Gxp has wider tires up front than in the rear. Sometimes its solenoids that go bad in the transmissions, other times its actual parts. When they go, the best thing to do is get one from triple edge performance. They're the go to place for these transmissions.
Sweet. Thanks for the tip I just wish transmissions didn't envolve such a lengthy process to pull/replace things on. Haha. Hate taking my car into the shop for things i feel like I could do myself.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Obviously, I'm a little biased, as you would expect most would be on a Monte Carlo site, but the styling is always where I start when looking for a car, and the Monte Carlo SS trumps all those you've listed, in my opinion. I also own a Cobalt SS, which my college kid daughter now drives, and I can tell you that although I bought the Cobalt SS brand new, it NEVER made me smile as much as that Monte Carlo SS does EVERY time I turn that key... I'm at 69,700 miles on my '07 and have no clunking in the transmission. It is absolutely the most fun car to drive I've ever owned.

All that being said, I don't race my car or really modify it at all. I tread lightly, except for when some high schooler at a red light revs his four-banger that sounds like an angry mosquito and needs to be taken down a notch or two...

It's all about personal preference, as stated earlier by BeachBumMike, so remember....YOU'RE the one that has to look at it in the driveway, so take your time and get the one you really want. You will enjoy it more that way. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by chifan
Obviously, I'm a little biased, as you would expect most would be on a Monte Carlo site, but the styling is always where I start when looking for a car, and the Monte Carlo SS trumps all those you've listed, in my opinion. I also own a Cobalt SS, which my college kid daughter now drives, and I can tell you that although I bought the Cobalt SS brand new, it NEVER made me smile as much as that Monte Carlo SS does EVERY time I turn that key... I'm at 69,700 miles on my '07 and have no clunking in the transmission. It is absolutely the most fun car to drive I've ever owned.

All that being said, I don't race my car or really modify it at all. I tread lightly, except for when some high schooler at a red light revs his four-banger that sounds like an angry mosquito and needs to be taken down a notch or two...

It's all about personal preference, as stated earlier by BeachBumMike, so remember....YOU'RE the one that has to look at it in the driveway, so take your time and get the one you really want. You will enjoy it more that way. Good luck!
Hahahaha ! Thanks for the advice ! 😁

Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alex S
Very true. I Really like the cobalt setup. But they are very rarely for sale. Im leaning towards to gxp/SS Monte. I like the front wheel drive option as Ohio winters can be rough and Id need it all year round. As for the charger. I'd love one. But like the tranny problems in the Ls4 cars. I guess the engine seems to just give out at like 100k miles. Entire thing shot in the 06-09 r/ts. Which sucks.
I tried searching the main difference between the gxp and the Monte but couldn't really find much. Other than the gxp is heavier (given it's a 4 door) and has better suspension breaks. And something about better front tires. But are expensive as hell to replace. Is that right ? Anything else major on the gxp that gives it a little more of a wow factor over the Monte?

I own an 07 GP gxp, it's my daily driver and I really enjoy it. The tires aren't that expensive, I just got 4 for about $600. Obviously there is a range of tire prices you can put on it, I'd guess a ballpark would be $500-$800. Keep in mind if you plan to drive it in snow, you'll need to run all season tires instead of high performance summer tires. The factory re050a tires are supposed to be summer tires.

The GXP has better suspension, brakes, and wider tires up front. It also has a heads up display, and paddle shifters.

Gas mileage is pretty decent for being a big v8 with a 4 speed auto, and it has a good amount of space.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I own an 07 GP gxp, it's my daily driver and I really enjoy it. The tires aren't that expensive, I just got 4 for about $600. Obviously there is a range of tire prices you can put on it, I'd guess a ballpark would be $500-$800. Keep in mind if you plan to drive it in snow, you'll need to run all season tires instead of high performance summer tires. The factory re050a tires are supposed to be summer tires.

The GXP has better suspension, brakes, and wider tires up front. It also has a heads up display, and paddle shifters.

Gas mileage is pretty decent for being a big v8 with a 4 speed auto, and it has a good amount of space.
Ahh. I see. Considering one of these for sure ! Are these any easier on the transmission or are both the Monte and GXP pretty much similar.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Alex S
Ahh. I see. Considering one of these for sure ! Are these any easier on the transmission or are both the Monte and GXP pretty much similar.
Pretty much identical for all of the ls4/4t65 cars that I've seen. IMO the bottom line is that the transmission isn't over built enough for the LS4. It had not been previously used over 280 ft lb or so, and now suddenly it has to deal with 325 with relatively minor changes. Modded 3800 supercharged engines have been destroying these transmissions for years, it's been clear that there just wasn't much headroom there from the start.

I think they either should've put a slightly modified 4t80 in or a more heavily modified 4t65.

With that said, there is some variability in longevity. I've seen some people blow them up on a totally stock engine being relatively easy on them, and I've seen others survive with bolt ons and being beaten on, so there isn't a garauntee either way. I'd just go into it knowing that it is a possibility that you'll have to repair it at some point so you're not caught off guard if it does happen.

I will say *knock on wood* that I've had absolutely 0 issues with the transmission in my gxp, and I've owned it for the majority of the 40k miles that are currently on the car. I've been slightly above average harsh on it, been to the drag strip once - but otherwise it's just a DD, I have other cars to mess around like that in.