General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): A shot in the dark..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
LOL< hey Dean. It is actually a bit complicated with compound curves. People on here have tried in the past and you never see a finished product. Guess it would crinkle in the middle as you attempt to bend it to the curvature of the body in conjunction with the curved perimeter. But hey I'm all for it in that I could accurately trace the exterior shape out but not be able to reflect the extent degree of curve (crown) needed. It is like taking a flat piece of metal and trying to bend two curves into it. Unless you are seeing something I'm not, you being an E7 and all, you do out rank me so I will do as ordered. Shall I follow through and send you one out? You pay the shipping, looked it up it's like $666 one way. lol, Devils Guard! So is this something you want done? I will use invisible ink for security purposes, so you need to breakout your black light used to detect counterfeit currency or the one in you man cave over all the ZIGZAG man velvet posters. That is if Mrs. Bigglesworth lets you still have them.
Well I am not saying I would be successful and that is would look exactly like the slp one. The problem I have is I don't own a 6th Gen Monte so I would have to find someone around her to test fit it, if I got it made.
But I found some materiel about a year ago and I made one of those Quarter window louvers out of it and it has compound bends too, Well it didn't turn out to bad for the first try.
Like anything it will need a little Foose, Kindigit, Martin Bros, magic. All I need is the outside pattern Traced on news print or something like that. Then I can cut out the basic shape and put the curves to it. Then I would remove the center area, and finally insert some sort of grill. So if anybody can trace me out a pattern PM me and I will get you my address. I will reimburse the postage could be more than a $1.00 to send a piece of paper folded up?
Yeah actually it's Mrs. Bickerson. She entered my basement and freaked out of something I was working on, I was setting up my electric train from my youth days. She was so loud that now my ears ring again. One of these days I will need to leave and she can find another person to do all the work around here. You would think after 47 years she wouldn't have to be such a Bear.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LOL, Mrs. Bickerson indeed. Oh you are a cruel one. But yeah I hear you, ouch! No fun gets to be NO fun.

Well I got a reply from the 3D printing company. Seems I'm under pricing the one I would sell by $150. I about choked when I read they wanted $750 per copy. So I will sell mine for $675, lol, jk but ugh this is proving to be an impossible ordeal. Here is a copy of their email reply:

Dallin Arave <dallin.arave@whiteclouds.com>
To:Greg Hubbs

Tue, May 26 at 3:55 PM
Hello Greg,

Thanks for reaching out to us; I'm glad to hear that word of mouth is spreading in our local area! We could 3D print a few of these pieces, because fo the awkward size of the piece and the amount of bodywork we would need to do in the shop to each print they would be $750 a piece. Let me know if you have any questions and I'm more than happy to continue to help you through the process.

Thank you,

Show original message

--
Dallin Arave
Sales Manager
Phone: 385-405-2046
www.whiteclouds.com
182 S. 1070 W. Bldg. 14A, Bay 3
Ogden, UT 84404

So I could trace you an outline of the grille. You dont seem to be biting on my $666 in shipping, kicking down a measley $1, jheesh I needed new tires for my car. Email me your address or private message me I don't care and we can see if we have a Foose in the forum among us. You would make a lot of people happy.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

LOL, Mrs. Bickerson indeed. Oh you are a cruel one. But yeah I hear you, ouch! No fun gets to be NO fun.

Well I got a reply from the 3D printing company. Seems I'm under pricing the one I would sell by $150. I about choked when I read they wanted $750 per copy. So I will sell mine for $675, lol, jk but ugh this is proving to be an impossible ordeal. Here is a copy of their email reply:

Dallin Arave <dallin.arave@whiteclouds.com>
To:Greg Hubbs

Tue, May 26 at 3:55 PM
Hello Greg,

Thanks for reaching out to us; I'm glad to hear that word of mouth is spreading in our local area! We could 3D print a few of these pieces, because fo the awkward size of the piece and the amount of bodywork we would need to do in the shop to each print they would be $750 a piece. Let me know if you have any questions and I'm more than happy to continue to help you through the process.

Thank you,

Show original message

--
Dallin Arave
Sales Manager
Phone: 385-405-2046
www.whiteclouds.com
182 S. 1070 W. Bldg. 14A, Bay 3
Ogden, UT 84404

So I could trace you an outline of the grille. You dont seem to be biting on my $666 in shipping, kicking down a measley $1, jheesh I needed new tires for my car. Email me your address or private message me I don't care and we can see if we have a Foose in the forum among us. You would make a lot of people happy.
He gave you the I don't want to do it price!
He looked at the 6th Gen Monte Carlo and seen how old the thing is and decided that to make this would be a lost market.
I don't have a 3D printer so it all has to be done by hand. If it turns out successful or not I will picture it here.
Should be a fun one for sure.
Okay here is some information I found. Check the grill here is custom made on the Red Monte Carlo, (But see the Hood on that thing?
That has a Custom Chevelle Cowl induction hood bubble on it with an operational flapper.
That is cool custom stuff!!

Last edited by drivernumber3; 05-27-2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 05-27-2020, 01:50 PM

That hood is cool; reminds me of a modified Spyder hood that's made for the MC.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member

Update on the SLP home made grill. Zippy mailed me the pattern and I have traced it out on the material I plan to use and I will cut it out and get it ready. I hope that it works out and is not a failure. If it does work I will send the best one of all that I do to Zippy and then post some photo's on here to let you all see what I did or did not do right. LOL

Old 09-27-2020, 10:18 PM

Well I have one of the SLP's new in the box. Seems like I never get around to having a copy made. Any 3D printing places here say it is to large for their machines. The last shop gave me a link to a place in Las Vegas that has an adequate sized printer, but that is as far as I have taken it. One place in China said they would do it but I would have to send them the physical piece, no photos, but the actual piece so I backed out of any further talks. I want to keep this in case I ever had a front end collision and the one mounted was destroyed I would be able to rebuild the cars front end except for the grille as they are so very rare. Anyway lately I think about dumping my Monte as it just sits month after month, year after year under a car cover. Rarely ever use it, feeling like its time to move on. Years later and untold thousands of dollars and I don't even enjoy the car anymore. Why I'm saying all of this is should I pull the trigger and sell the Monte (in all reality it would probably go for some chump change) I would sell this grille. Let me get off my butt and make contact with this Vegas shop and see what they can do. I was over at the local mall yesterday and noticed a place that gives 3D printing classes. They had a rather large 3D printer set up right behind the main window and my mind immediately turned to the grille. My daughter works at the mall, I will ask her to tell me when the place reopens from this COVID junk, as some stores are still closed, this one included. If I do sell it I would want $500 for it. Then whoever gets it can go and try to make copies and then reap some profits to recoup their purchase money. If I can get them 3D printed they would be substantially less. My cost plus perhaps $75 per grille. What it would cost to print them is the unknown. When I sign off here I will go through my emails and find the Vegas places info and see what they may or not be able to do. I tend to think any legitimate place may hedge on doing this as it may be patent protected, then that is another whole can of worms. I have thought about changing the grille design as a work around. Say instead of the diamond mesh look do squares or circles something to that effect.
Welcome back , it's been a long time since I've seen you online

Old 10-05-2020, 09:50 PM

Seeing as this thread isn't to old... couldn't it be 3d printed in 2 halves with a puzzle piece joint in the middle to make it fit in a printer? Then just a dab of jb weld, slide the two pieces together, sand it down, paint it... BOOM reproduction grille. If no one has done this by the time I have a computer and 3d printer set up I will for sure, I want one on my LS