General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Interior Build: Shifter walkthrough soon to come

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:15 PM
1 Year Member
Default Shifter walkthrough soon to come

Ok so after taking forever to finally get a laptop i'm gonna make the walk through for installing an after market shifter in 2000-2005 Monte Carlos. This will take some time as its quite exstensive. i know im not always on this site and ive been delaying this but it will get done at some point. for now ill tell you the problems i ran into and maybe you can make a plan as how you want to deal with them.

1: The particular shifter i purchased is the B&M quicksilver ratchet shifter. The problem i have with this shifter is there is a gap between park and reverse. It's a problem because there is no gap on the monte carlo. This resulted in gears being in the wrong spot. I've learned to live with it for now but i recommend a different shifter where there is no gap.

2: The cable that came with my shifter is too short (because the cable has to pull the gear selector towards the front of the car instead of to the rear) So you have two options here, B&M offers different length cables or you can weld part of the old shifter to your new one (Thats what i did)

3:The shifter i used does NOT line up with the center console. So i bought one of those cheap drink trays from wal-mart and i plan to attach the seat warmer switches to that. plus it covers up the missing carpet nicley.

There that will give you guys something to munch on while i do some typing and start taking some pics.

Thanks for showing interest in this guys!

-Tobian

Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to, why do you want a new shifter? I just put a B&M shifter handle on mine OEM shifter and called it good. Took some machining and lathe work, custom detent spring loaded button. But it works well enough and looks way different tan any other shifter handles in other 6th / 7th gens.

You not like the selector, how does the ratchet effect the shifting?

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 02-10-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:58 AM
1 Year Member

Well i wanted to do this for a number of reasons. but mainly its something that hasnt been done on this site and ive always wanted to do it just to say i did it. The ratchet shifter dosnt change the way the transmission shifts, its just a cleaner shift on the ratchets part. also i like the car better without the console. When i asked this community if anyone has done it the main response from people was no, but they wanted to see it done. so ya.

Plus now i can but an 8 ball on the shifter

Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I am curious to see pics of how that is hooked up underneath with a FWD vehicle. I imagine about the same as RWD but still am curious. I have a B&M ZGate on the 84.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I await pics

Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am interested to see what this looks like when it is done. What is the actual advantage with having one of these shifters?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would love to see pics as well, they are great shifters and allow for you to slap the car's shifter from gear to gear while racing

Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
I would love to see pics as well, they are great shifters and allow for you to slap the car's shifter from gear to gear while racing
So would you be using the automatic gears as if the car was a manual?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I love the B&M I have in the 84. I would be scared to put on in the 2002, I would end up racing it...LOL

Zach- yes, basically making a manual out of an automatic.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 PM
1 Year Member

Hey guys just a quick update. i'm almost done the walkthrough! I had some help with a co-worker adjusting the shifter cable so i need to consult with him as to how to adjust it. After that i'll add some pics and post it. Everyone has been asking for pics I tried to upload a pic a while ago on my phone and i didnt think it worked but there are pics on my profile but ill post one here anyway

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/Shifter/Shifter.jpg

Quick Reply: Interior Build: Shifter walkthrough soon to come