General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

shift knobs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
i like it! looks sweet! what year camaro did it come out of?! was it easy to install?
Came out of a 94, all 4th gen (93-02) automatics were the same. Think a Buick also used same ****, I'm sure others used the same ****, just have to check out what's out there. VERY simple, there is a "staple" at the front of the T-handle (pull the boot down to expose it) pull out the staple and pull the **** off. Staple on the Camaro **** is where it starts to thin out, if you look close enough you can sort of see where it is sticking out in the pic, I have since pushed it all the way in, wasn't sure if I would like the look but I did so it's there to stay. Only down side I found was trying to do something with the shifter boot. Just sort of stuffed it down into the trim.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 PM

does anybody know if the 2006-2007 Monte Carlo Shift **** would work in an 05? i mean the dash is pretty similar so i wasnt sure if somethings were compatiable. let me know!!

http://tinypic.com/r/21lkirl/7

Last edited by Mr.Monte; 07-05-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Actually, the Monte Carlo was discontinued in 2007. but we understand what you are asking.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Monte
Actually, the Monte Carlo was discontinued in 2007. but we understand what you are asking.
oops! haha my bad. idk why i put 09.. hahaha
well if anyone knows.. LET ME KNOW! lol

Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was wondering that too. I like those 06 and 07 handles and my button has no cover on the end just the plastic so I've been wanting to fix it.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I was wondering that too. I like those 06 and 07 handles and my button has no cover on the end just the plastic so I've been wanting to fix it.

this!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 PM

I've posted this a few times - member Dredd (the one who dropped the LS4 into his 6th gen) also changed his interior to the 7th gen. Here's what he told me about swapping the shifters;

When I decided to do this swap the Inst. cluster bezel shape and characteristics between my 01 and the 06 bezel were the same so that let me know that I could do the shifter tower as far as fit see picture below -

See the two mounting studs from the original shift tower - You must use (2) self tapping screws two secure the drivers side monuting holes on the 06 shift tower. Also must either dis-able or splice the brake pedal shift release sensor. (splice is default for safety). Also see the position of the shift cable ready two snap in the secure cable mount.

The shifter is a two piece set, you have to purchase the shifter *** seperate unless you find one that is sold as a set.

The floor mount you see is for the center console that line up perfect with the 06 center console. The rest of the center console mounts to the shift tower.

See the breakdown here at this link http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=6&model=Monte carlo&year=2006&graphicID=CG06405&callout=19&catal ogid=3&displayCatalogid=0

Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

mrmonte thats the one.
mogwog are you saying i would have the whole counsel and shifter for it to work

Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 AM

jafo can you pleassseeeee tell me how you did that? i have easy access to 94-96 camaro parts.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by bama_z34
jafo can you pleassseeeee tell me how you did that? i have easy access to 94-96 camaro parts.
Used to have a 95 Z34, don't really remember how the shifter **** was attached but GM likes to stick with the same idea so it might work... no shifter boot to try and find something to do with as well!

Pull the shifter all the way back to get a little better access to the front of the ****. There is a U-shaped clip/staple on the front of the ****. (Like I said earlier if you look close at my pic you can see the clip barely sticking out.) Use a real small, like jewelers slotted screwdriver to "walk" the clip out. You should be able to pull it out with your fingers after you pull it out far enough. Pull the **** straight up. Some people have said that you might have to pull real hard to remove the ****. I've probably removed 5-6 at work and have yet had to pull very hard. Guess if you are a complete slob and pour cola all over the **** it could get a little gummy. When I re-install the **** to make it a little easier I put the clip partly back into the **** before putting it on the lever. Don't have to stand on your head looking for the holes that way.

Clear enough? If not let me know I'll be happy to take some pics when I get a chance. Not difficult at all, if I can figure it out you should be golden!

Quick Reply: shift knobs??