General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

SEVERE<-(possibly) engine stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Exclamation SEVERE<-(possibly) engine stalling issue

Hello, I own a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS with a 3.4 SFI engine. She has been giving me a bad problem ever since last week It dies while im driving... constantly. If I start it up off a cold start, it will run and drive fine until it hits the 140-150 temp mark. Then it just wants to die. If I leave it in neutral or park for awhile and idle, it won't really have a problem at all(sometimes it will act up though). But while in Drive it wants to die. When im driving it and it dies, I pull to the side and shut it off for about 20 seconds and then it starts right back up again, drives fine for about a mile or less and starts acting up again. I've changed mass air flow, new k&n, new ngk plugs and wires, good battery. Put a dual outlet exhaust(y-pipe) on and haven't drilled a hole for the O2 sensor to be welded inside the new pipe(one after cat because I cut out old resonator and did the u-bend delete mod) and its zip tied to the frame. It's been like that for a long time and has never given me a problem what so ever. I disconnected it and its still doing the same thing. The car has never ever given me a problem other than the fact that it likes to die overnight if I don't pull the fuse for the radio. After 2 days or so it will die from sitting even if the fuse is unplugged(another problem I'd like someones opinion on!). If anybody can give me any information on this, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm a die-hard chevy fan for life and this is my first car that I've had for almost a year. I am very knowledgeable with engines and vehicles in general for my age(20) and can build an engine from scratch. But this has my mind boggled As I said, any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Seriously please, I really need help on this one guys :/

Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe the crank sensor or ICM failing... Maybe a fuel issue, check your pressure.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM

ICM as in computer? And would you happen to know where the cranck sensor is located on the 3.4sfi?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
15 Year Member

ICM is ignition control module, it's what sits under your coil packs.

The crank sensor is probably behind the crank pulley (harmonic balancer), but I think 3400's have 2 crank sensors? You may want to get a Haynes manual, they're very useful.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 AM

O2 sensor tied to the frame? That is a HUGE NO NO. It will pick up the oxygen in the air, and runs like pure ****.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First question, are you getting any trouble codes? If so, what are they?

Second, I believe the '00 and '01 models had a problem with a failing cat (GM extended the warranty, but that is now expired). When it fails, look under the car, see if the cat is red, if so, that's your problem (it's clogged).

You've hit a bunch of the basics. Without further diagnostics, I'm wondering if the fuel pump is related to this cause.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM

I borrowed an OBD2 code reader from a friend and when I used it, only one code came back and that was P0404 I think (No activity code). It was still at that time zip-tied to the frame. The OBD2 code reader was also displaying that 4-5 of my monitors are not finishing and they were blinking. I forget which ones but one was catalytic monitor and something heater monitor. Anybody know why its doing that? Also I took off my air intake and looked threw the throttle and saw that it is very dirty with a darkish brown color stuck to the walls of it. I think that means running to rich? So it def can be the O2 sensor in this situation? It's just i've driven without it plugged in before about 3 months ago when I did my exhaust(u-bend delete, cut out old resonator, put 2 1/2" pipe all the way back in place and also put a much shortened resonator in place as well, put a Y-pipe in and two mufflers) for about a week because i didn't know whether to plug it back in and zip tie it or not because I didnt have my welder at the time to weld it inside the pipe. It ran fine for that whole week and never had a problem.

Also, I have another question. My monte has a thing for dieing overnight. I've replaced the battery 3 times already(I'm positive this is a good battery it's 800cca brand new) and it still drains that even. I've gotten some progress as to what it is so far and I found the radio has part to do with it. If I unplug the fuse for the radio at night it wont be dead in the morning but wont last to long like 3 days until it dies again. I actually tied those 2 specific fuse wires onto some 12 gauge wires and ran it to a toggle switch I put in the fog light button area next to the light adjuster. I don't get it and i'd really like to know why this is acting up. Are the 01 montes common for this? What are the common flaws in the 01 montes? If anyone can answer this it would help alot!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
15 Year Member

P0404 is an EGR valve issue.

Carbon builds up in the throttle body. You could seafoam the engine if you wanted. Or remove the throttle body and clean it by hand with alcohol, just make sure you take the sensors out of it first.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Seafoaming the engine as in pouring it threw the line that leads from the intake manifold to the brake booster?

Quick Reply: SEVERE<-(possibly) engine stalling issue