General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Service Traction System Light -_-

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Service Traction System Light -_-

It seems i fix one thing on this car and then something else breaks Anyways when i first bought the car this light came on the first few days and then Disappeared up until a few weeks ago. We got hit with a huge snow storm and i had to move the car to get the snowblower out. I dug out the front a bit then drove it out but then it got stuck. So anyways i plowed the driveway and got the car unstuck later, this was on a friday. Then monday when i was going to school i drove for maybe 30 seconds then the light came on. It stayed on for a few days and then when things dryed up and got a bit warm it dissapeered. 2 Days later after it rained it came back again on the morning drive but then was gone on my way back and for the next few days. This week it came on once in the morning on monday and then was gone till this morning and we had another huge snow storm and the car got stuck again. Anyways i had it in the air at school last week to try and fix the problem and saw the wire coming out of the speed sensor from the wheel bearing, the plastic around it looked cracked and broken. The scan tool showed that it was the RF Wheel speed sensor, so passenger side wheel sensor. Now i know i have to replace the wheel bearing but it just seems so weird that it dissapperes for 5 months and then comes back almost every week now and when its only wet sometimes. Anyways i got a quote for a wheel bearing and it was 63 for economy with a 10 month warranty or 153 with a 3 year warranty. Which one would be better? Is there really a huge difference between them?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is that $153 installed? And what type of bearing are they installing. Timken is known to be the better brand of wheel bearing.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Is that $153 installed? And what type of bearing are they installing. Timken is known to be the better brand of wheel bearing.
Im doing the work myself lol, always have been and always will. Only way to know the job is done right. I ended up buying the premium and i will probably install it tommorow, also decided to order new cooler lines as the ones on there are starting to get a bit broken looking

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I don't know what brand your "premium" is, but Timken is the bearing I trust most! A lot of other ones will last about 1-2 years and go bad again. So far, Timken has been good to me and my fleet.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member

Sorry for late post, Replaced the bearing, it was a Timken bearing with 3 year warranty. Problem is gone! Also replaced the tranny cooler lines while i was at it.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Good job Sir! I too had the traction system warning plus abs warning, so I replaced both front bearings with Timken. Took it for a test drive and no warnings...$186 well spent! Thanks to Rock Auto Parts:

<table class="main" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 1px solid black; border-collapse: separate; background-color: white;" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="part1" id="table505part7" name="pltr505"><td class="alternate1" rowspan="2"><table class="parts"><tbody><tr><td class="left" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><table class="layout" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><tbody><tr><td class="partlayout">TIMKEN Part # 513179 {#HA590093} Includes ABS Sensor; Ball Bearing Front; Plastic Wire Clip.</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="right" style="height: 40px;">

</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate1" id="node505part7price" style="padding-top: 10px;">$90.79</td></tr></tbody></table>
Jobs well done

Last edited by SSilver; 03-18-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Crap, I've been putting off this same job for a year and now it's getting pretty bad... is there anything that's a little bit cheaper but still decent quality? Going to do the front two as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I've also experienced the traction system and abs warnings but it was on my 03. If I remember correctly, that turned out to be a failed rear wheel hub sensor thus the whole hub was replaced.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Wait... which wheel is it?

I am getting service traction, abs and trac off light up on the dash, and sometimes I get wheel slip in 1st gear and 'no traction' when I shift out of park and into 1st (D).

What is actually going wrong and is it the same thing as this thread or no?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Crap, I've been putting off this same job for a year and now it's getting pretty bad... is there anything that's a little bit cheaper but still decent quality? Going to do the front two as well.
I've done "cheap", and normally cheap lasts 1.5 years and then you're doing it again. Timken from RockAuto, it's a little more then "cheap" but not going to kill the wallet.

Quick Reply: Service Traction System Light -_-