General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

To Sell or Repair? That's the question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2024, 09:14 AM
Default To Sell or Repair? That's the question

I was given a 2001 Monte Carlo SS three years ago by my parents. It's great not having payments, but I've had a lot of issues with it.

It has 150,000 miles and in the last 3 years I've spent over $6k on repairs. It's running okay right now, but I want to be prepared next time an issue comes up, which seems very likely.

Multiple mechanics told me the engine is so good that it's better to repair than buy another car, but I'd like this group's opinion since you don't have a financial stake in the decision

Here's the recent repairs:
- Replaced alternator, catalytic converter, serpentine belt, intake manifold, water pump, A/C, power steering reservoir & hoses, exhaust gasket, VVT solenoid gasket
- Drivers & passengers windows replaced after motor/regulator failed, making them fall into the doors and shatter.

Lastly, every few months the ignition won't start for anywhere from an hour to days. No mechanic has been able figure this out. It's a pain to never know when it will operate or not.

How long do you think this will last? Would you sell for a new car or keep repairing it?

Thanks

Last edited by kpmiracle; 10-01-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:34 AM

150k is relatively low still. Ive had 3.8/4t65 cars last almost into the 400s.

Engine checks out but what about the trans? I assume its been replaced at some point. Stock trans' dont seem to last long.

As for the no start issue. I had something similar that turned out to be an immobilizer/tracker left over from the original buyer. I guess the bank snuck it in there when it was bought new and it finally started malfunctioning 20yrs later for me.

VVT solenoid gasket?

Anyway, the trans is probably the thing to look at here. Has it been rebuilt ever and when?

Old 10-01-2024, 10:53 AM

That's really good to know! I feel more confident that I made the right decision repairing instead of selling.

I'm unsure if the transmission was replaced. It's likely, as I know it had a lot of work done to it before it was in my hands. I don't know what, though.

And I don't know what a VVT solenoid gasket is... lol It was just an expensive thing on one of the repair invoices.

Old 10-01-2024, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kpmiracle
I was given a 2001 Monte Carlo SS three years ago by my parents. It's great not having payments, but I've had a lot of issues with it.
IMO, I'd still set aside money monthy like you have a payment. That way when this thing ultimately goes (tomorrow or 10 years down the road), you don't need to pay huge interest to get a replacement.

Multiple mechanics told me the engine is so good that it's better to repair than buy another car, but I'd like this group's opinion since you don't have a financial stake in the decision
That's always the $100k question. The bad thing at $6k is you're already likely over 100% of the car's value, meaning if you did offload it (or worse, totalled it), youre at the point where every additional $ put in goes straight to the trash can forever.

Personally I'd probably continue to fix basic stuff, but Id dump it the second another big bill came up (wreck, engine, transmission, full suspension, body rust etc).

How long do you think this will last? Would you sell for a new car or keep repairing it?
No way to tell on the first item. In general, the value proposition to repair vs buying something newer (not necessarily brand new) falls off steeply after 200k. Some of it is how well it's kept up and used, but some is flat out luck - and it seems like you've got the short end of that latter stick lately.

I definitely wouldn't sell just for the sake of selling. It's certainly on the latter stage of life and you've got a good bit of $ into it. Id drive it until the wheels fall off while saving money in parallel for the next one. I definitely wouldn't do anymore $1k++ repairs though. You don't want to get to the point where you've got $10k in parts on a $1k car in a few years.

It's always a tradeoff though, you get people on the opposite end of the spectrum that dump a car early to save on maintenance but end up financing almost 100% of a brand new $40k car and throw away thousands in interest payments instead. So the financially best move is finding the balance point between the options.

Originally Posted by kpmiracle
And I don't know what a VVT solenoid gasket is... lol It was just an expensive thing on one of the repair invoices.
I hope it was an honest coding mistake when they were writing it up rather than a flat our lie.

VVT is variable valve timing - solenoids that adjust camshaft position/ valve timing. The problem is the 3800 is an old enough design that it doesn't have that at all - the cam is fixed timing. So the part they claimed they replaced doesn't exist.

Maybe they replaced the timing cover gasket and coded it for this instead by mistake, but Id be pretty uncomfortable with a shop telling you they replaced parts that the car doesn't have. It's like selling you blinker fluid or muffler bearings.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-02-2024 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:25 AM

Maybe somebody here can confirm this. But I have been told that there is a circuit board under the coils that's goes bad on these cars that causes a no start condition. I have no had this problem personally but maybe something to look into.

Old 10-02-2024, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 84Pro4Racing
Maybe somebody here can confirm this. But I have been told that there is a circuit board under the coils that's goes bad on these cars that causes a no start condition. I have no had this problem personally but maybe something to look into.
Yes, the ICM is what youre thinking of. It certainly is a possibility.

Old 10-02-2024, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Yes, the ICM is what youre thinking of. It certainly is a possibility.
Thank you for the confirmation. I couldn't think of what it was called.