General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The Saturday Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Default RE: The Saturday Fiasco

Well, snow tires are out of the question, unfortunately. They don't get crud for mileage, and I don't have spare rims lieing around to mount em on. I'll probably do some decent all-weather tires for now, then start looking into a winter set and a summer set.

That way I can get some new summer ones to put on the polished wheels I'm buying, and keep the all-weathers on the stocker rims. Then when theywear out switch to some real winter treads.

I can't figgure out how I lost control tho. I mean I've driven in deeper slush, and the road was fine up until that point.... If it wasn't for the stupidly overdone banking I woulda stayed on the pavement. I mean, honestly I've driven in deeper snow packs that weren't even slush yet, at faster speeds.

The only thing I think that could have caused it was the sleet (not snow, sleet) making the slush extra thick or something, so that it had more of an effect on traction. I could have easily been in an area littered with road signs and ended up doing serious damage. Luckily if warranty doesn't cover fixing the alignment it's a cheap repair. Now with the computer shops everywhere it's less than a full bill to fix that.

Anyone else have good winter stories?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Ok, if ur coming from Anamosa going north, go past the first exit, and after like a bridge there's a long sweeping turn, not a quarter of the way into the turn is where I lost traction. I'm thinking a semi or something got in the left lane to pass someone, because all the sudden the tracks were almost filled, instead of two nearly clear tracks to drive in. Soit lost traction adn I was trying to hang on.... cut to half throttle so the wheels would at least keep pace when they tried to regain traction.... but the banking sucked me into the median just off the road.

It was rather un-eventful for going into the ditch, cept the whole being stuck there for 1.5 hours because some dum you kno what doesn't know the difference between being winched and being towed.

So, I missed it on another post, or maybe you didn't answer. Are you still rebuilding that SS?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 AM

your lucky the got to you that quick. I am a police officer, in some of the storms i have been lucky to get stuck working people were waiting 6+ hours for AAA or anyother national place. A lot of the people were willing to pay the local companies instead of waiting.

I've seen at least 250 cars towed not one was towed by anything under the hood. Most of the time by the bottom near the wheels (never paid attention to what they hooked it up to), unless it was upside down then they get crafty.

Snow storms suck, fun to work, not fun if your driving your own car though. Last winter i got stuck on the road in a banked turn in themiddle of know where tranporting a wife beater to the jail. That was fun. After about 20 minutes of trying to ruin the transmission i had worked my self off the bank and into the ditch. Just about then the snow plow came by and cleared the evidence of how i ended up here, I'm never living that one down. Long story short county deputy took the prisoner from me and finished transport, i waited for the tow truck to do a pull out and went home, before i would have if i had driven all the way to county. so it worked out.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM

[align=center]Hi Nick L,[/align][align=center]I just looked at your profile, and you are a young police officer. [8D][/align][align=center]Are you in traffic patrol, or all duties ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What type of patrol car to you have ?[/align][align=center]Oh, I'm happy that you have super taste in your personal vehicle [/align][align=center]Do you like being in law enforcement ?[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Interesting snow/storm/ story.[/align][align=center]Thanks for your Service, & we wish you a safe career.[/align][align=center]Peace to `all,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=left][8D]ps. `Mike, I had to look up the meaning[/align][align=left]of fiasco in the dictionary : ) I keep learning [/align][align=left]something everyday on the MCF : ) with all[/align][align=left]the Fiasco's that `Space creates [/align][align=center][/align]

Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds to me like you were traveling a little to fast for the curve you encountered with the road conditions in the shapwe they were. That's why your car lost traction and slid. Hard to believe a car with traction control slid that easily though.

Personally I'd prefer an all weather tire versus a season only tire. Like a snow tire. Mainly cause once the snow is gone you don't need the snow tire on your car. And the speed rate tires are worse in wet conditions versus an all weather tire are. They're mainly for dry conditions.

I know once anelderlywoman stopped and asked to use my phone. She had managed to peal the top of the radiator in her car back. (I suspected little to no coolant caused this)

She had triple A so I called them. They gave me the number of a place to call near by. A guy answered and told me to call someone else. I told him no way was I and he'd better get out to my house and help this poor woman out. He showed up but it was like 45 minutes after we spoke. His attitude made me wonder why anyone would want triple A service? I know they're usually extremely good as my mother worked for one, for years.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

o wait till you get to the south and that happens.. they will break into tv programs and everything and go "Up to an inch of snow is coming to your area: steal milk, gas, bread.... if you are an elderlyAmerican, you are not goign to make it thru this storm."
LOL, I know where you got that from... Bill Engval, lol. "You guys an inch of snow you're like, 'hang on I can still find my golf ball.'" LOL!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:32 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

and he wasn't far off... they will seriously break into programs... we got a light dusting here last year iwth a little freezing rain.... none of hte normal morning programs came on, they just talked about the "Winter Storm" that was coming thru... God forbid about 5" land. 3-4 days out of school, and probably all thats talked about on TV for atleast the duration of the storm +2 hours, no lie.... while a storm is coming thru, they will stop broadcast and cover it until it leaves the viewing area... its crazy.

but in their defence, we are in adrought rigth now, an hour thunderstorm blew thru and tehy stopped regular programing to cover it.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

It was rather un-eventful for going into the ditch, cept the whole being stuck there for 1.5 hours because some dum you kno what doesn't know the difference between being winched and being towed.

So, I missed it on another post, or maybe you didn't answer. Are you still rebuilding that SS?
I know the corner your talkin about.

I havn't got ot the other post yet. Yeah I am still building it. I have it ready for the new sheet metal, but with x-mas and everything I am waiting until taxes to get it all. I didn't want to drive it in the snow anyways. I bought myself a little Alero for that task. One of these days I will have to get down and get some pics. It is down by Atkins so I don't get there very often unless I am working on the Monte(wich hasn't been for like 2 months).

Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Sorry to hear about your fiasco, Mike. Glad you are ok, that's all that really matters. Cars can be replaced.
You just never can tell what is under all that slushy crap, maybe some black ice. When I had my 88 Grand Prix the only thing that saved me from the median/ditch on several occasions was the 5 speed and the clutch.
Man, I loved that car. The car itself saved my bacon on more than 1 occasion, it was engineered that well.
I tend to slow down when the going gets bad, but you never know what's under the top layer. Last winter I was going to work and doing about 25 - 30 mph (it was that bad) just accelerating slowly down the road, good traction and everything, and the truck just went sideways. This on a 2 lane that usually has traffic. Fortune was with me that day, there was no traffic, I kept it from going into the ditch, but I was sitting ACROSS both lanes when I got it stopped. If there had been another car or,God forbid, a tractor trailer coming, it would have been T-bone time.

Quick Reply: The Saturday Fiasco