General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Salvage Title Car-Feel free to add pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:08 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Salvage Title Car-Feel free to add pics

So I've owned a couple Prior Salvage titled cars now and had no problems with either. I just thought it'd be cool to see how many on here have owned one an have any comments or before and after pics, or even if its not a salvage title but been repaired? Started this thread out of boredom and curiousity.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My 96 camaro was salvaged, I was the 8th owner I think. Poor thing still was nice.

Our 89 was in a wreck

My 2000 was in a wreck but not claimed I guess. I can see red on the fender.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

In 1991 I totaled my s10 pickup right after I bought it. I don't think I even made a a payment on it yet. There was 8000 dollars damage my insurance co. didn't allow you to by the vehicle back it it was totaled so I had it fixed. I got it from my dads friend who had it for 6 months so it was still in brand new condition and being 18 there was now way i would be able to buy another brand new car for what would be left after the payoff. The bodywork came out perfect and I never had any problems with the repairs. I have pics some where but I haven't seen them in a while but if I find them I'll post them.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

A friend of mine bought a '89 Turbo T/A (one of 1550 made, it was the '89 Indy Pace Car using the same drive train found in a Grand National). We found out with a CarFax about a year later the car had a salvage title on it.
Further investigation, we suspect the car had been driven into a ditch given small signs of damage found on it. The biggest find was the transmission bell housing was busted to the point only 2 bolts were holding it to the engine.
Currently the car is sitting pending some big time engine mods.

As for buying a car with a salvage title, you just need to be careful. Find out why it was salvaged. Sometimes the reason are simple (the body work needed out weighed the cost of the car). Others I would say don't bother, such as flood damage, that can cause goofy electrical/wiring problems with corrosion.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 AM

So wat happens with salvaged cars? i thought the insurance companies junk them when they cost too much to fix than their worth. Do the junkyards just fix the body and then see if they can sell them?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by BlownUptoHigh
So wat happens with salvaged cars? i thought the insurance companies junk them when they cost too much to fix than their worth. Do the junkyards just fix the body and then see if they can sell them?
I have a salvage dealers license and I buy cars from a website called Copart.com. This is where quite a few insurance companies send their salvaged vehicles. I have made some nice money buying them and fixing them up to resell. You would be surprised at how little damage some of the cars have when they are totaled out. Most of the cars I have bought have been under 500 bucks a piece.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For insurance reasons, I usually never touch anything that doesn't have a clear title. PA is pretty strict in the area.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Insurance companies are not bad at all here in fact if they have a rep come out and look at the car you can get full coverage but they will not pay out as much as the would a clean title. I've been looking at getting a Camaro clean or salvage title and I've found a few salvage titles that are stick and low miles for cheap.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Mines still clear title but heres my thread

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pa...rebuild-17685/

Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM

This is my '92 Dodge Daytona ES. 2.5 4 cylinder, non-turbo (unfortunately) automatic. I bought it for $450 with a salvage title. It had deer damage and I made the necessary repairs to acquire a Pennsylvania reconstructed vehicle title. I had no problems of any kind with insurance, but then this car was 17 or 18 years old when I went through the process and is still just a driver at this point. I did show it on the "fun field" at the All Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle, PA last year.

That's also my black 1990 right beside it.

Last edited by KJRich; 10-17-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Salvage Title Car-Feel free to add pics