General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): sad story, and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 02:52 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Something of an update... got the black dragon back today, she looks great, AND now I have a working radio, I think he pulled some speakers from the '04 as well as the bumper. She is going to look great for the parade.
Did not get the spoiler changed out, (ran out of time, more on that later) nor do I have the back-up cam, he was not happy about how the one he had in stock would work.
Now I have an intermittent ABS/Trac control light, I suspect a bad wheel speed sensor.
Working my way through the list of issues, one at a time. Getting there!

I am glad to have the black dragon back as my nightmare of a Volkswagen was towed off to the garage on Friday with an alarm and a "Alternator workshop!" message. Also the battery light came on at the same time and though I was able to drive it to a safe place it seemed to loose power steering. Belt? Hose of some sort? Curse?

Old 06-16-2021, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by fredkuhn
there were many GM cars around that time with weak ignition switches but idk which ones. Some got new switches, some, like my o4 and 05 got the key head insert. Or a previous owner could have just got the updated switch for peace of mind
Our switches were not part of the recall, only the key ring insert. Its possible some of the cars purchased used may have had the Passlock sensor replaced and with a new key cylinder/key - I just bought the pair for $20 in my [BCM] repair quest. I could have swapped my old key/cylinder into the sensor but wanted to make sure that wasn't my issue. So for now, I have two keys.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RedandBlackSS
Now I have an intermittent ABS/Trac control light, I suspect a bad wheel speed sensor.
Working my way through the list of issues, one at a time. Getting there!
Make sure you check the front harnesses, I had the ABS/Traction issue on and off for years, which I temporarily "fixed" by unplugging the harness at the wheel. Eventually, that didn't work and I discovered the left harness had flexed during turns and broke the semi-flexible sheath and the wire was frayed to just a few strands. No problems since I replaced the wires from the cradle to the plug. Also, secure your sensor plug like this to make sure it isn't getting pulled.