General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Rwd...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:08 PM
|
Default Rwd...

So maybe this topic doesnt belong here, but its been on my mind. Why couldnt GM redesign the newer montes (I particularly like the 2006) to sport a driveline similar to the Pontiac G8 GT??? I'm not totally sure what it has in it, if i remember right it was something based off the LS3 or LS7. Either way it was V8 High horse power and RWD.. Just had to get that off my chest.
Anyone else ever wonder the same thing??
at some level it makes me angry even haha

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:47 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

All of us would like that. But GM is right now trying to milk all it can out of the camaro, and a big heavy 2door sedan on an even bigger chassis wouldnt sell very well.

Old 02-05-2010 | 07:09 PM
15 Year Member

Either way it was V8 High horse power and RWD..
Unfortunately these are not GM's bread and butter. The bulk of GM's sales are in basic commuter vehicles and utility vehicles (ie trucks, suvs)- not performance vehicles. While stuff like the G8, camaro, ctsv, and vette are cool- they can't sell in high enough volume to keep the company going since the bulk of the public will never buy one.

FWD layouts tend to be cheaper to produce, and since Chevy's specific focus is value- obviously its commuter vehicles are going to go the cheapest route. The only manufacturer I have seen to change this around a bit is Chrysler- which seems to have a heavier supply of RWD passenger vehicles; but of course they aren't doing so well either...

But look at Toyota; they have been very successful in the last 10 years or so, and their entire lineup is based on cheap FWD commuter vehicles. What gets the public excited at car shows and what they will actually go out and buy are unfortunately two very different things.

Old 02-05-2010 | 07:45 PM

whats so great about fwd or rwd? ive had fwd cars my whole life because i live in ohio where its snows. ppl have always told me that fwd is better in the snow. i dont think any 2wd car is good in the snow.

so my point is that maybe cold weather states will buy more fwd/awd cars while to ppl in the south are not concerned with it.

by the way montes havent been rwd since what the 80's. like the guy above me said its not GM forte.

Old 02-05-2010 | 08:49 PM
|

i'm not saying they should change it now. its just that i think they never should have gone to the fwd platform in the first place. and if the company survives this economy maybe the should revise the monte keep the v6 supercharged and go to an awd platform. i'm sure nobody could argue with that

Old 02-05-2010 | 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
whats so great about fwd or rwd? ive had fwd cars my whole life because i live in ohio where its snows. ppl have always told me that fwd is better in the snow. i dont think any 2wd car is good in the snow.

so my point is that maybe cold weather states will buy more fwd/awd cars while to ppl in the south are not concerned with it.

by the way montes havent been rwd since what the 80's. like the guy above me said its not GM forte.
Personally, I think it is 90% driver's skill and 10% car. I have driven rwd trucks all my life and that is a combo that really sucks in the snow. You have no weight over your drive tire...so a trip to the hardware store and $15 dollars later I have 200 to 300lb of sand over my drive tire. I have seen advanges to all platforms for the snow. I have gone places in my 2 wheel drive truck that front wheel drive cars can't go and have gone slower then 4X4's but still made it.

Now back to the orginial question why didn't GM make the Monte in RWD. Simply put, because the platform was already there. Our Monte's was build on the w-body platform which was already around and since they had all of the stuff to make it...they didn't need to spend any money on building another platform. From the way I understand it....the Monte has always been in GM's eye as a cheaper but still stylish car. So put a w-body platform redo most of the body and add some nice stuff to it. Comparing my Monte to my friends GTP there is alot of little things that are better. The trunk has a nice net where theirs is just a space seperater, ours have a handle so you can close the trunk, theirs doesn't. Our seats feel like your seating on a cloud...theirs are nice but leave alot to be desired. But engine wise...it is the same as any other w-body. So mostly it all boils down to cost and the fact that GM don't have to many people there that see the Monte as a performance car. In all of my rambling I hope I answered the question.

Old 02-09-2010 | 05:40 PM

No your not the only that thinks that. I would have perferred the Monte in rwd. I would even keep the supercharged 3800 in rwd form.

Old 02-09-2010 | 09:20 PM
rj
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chevy Commando
No your not the only that thinks that. I would have perferred the Monte in rwd. I would even keep the supercharged 3800 in rwd form.
I think if you took a poll of all Monte owners, most would say they prefer a RWD vehicle versus a FWD. The Monte coming back to RWD was a hot topic on the older Monte related web sites for a very long time. Like Cort posted, a LOT of the owners back then were hoping for RWD to return to the Monte with redesign changes were mentioned by Chevy.

I remember recent information stating the car manufacturers were now leaning towards RWD being better in snow versus the FWD they pushed so hard to get the U.S. public to buy years ago.

Being better in snow was a selling point for many FWD vehicles from the big three when they all started going to FWD on their cars.

I had a conversation with the owner of the local Mopar dealership once on the subject. He was pushing FWD in my face and stated their never get stuck. I told him that was 100% not true. Then told him of the time my dad's 1982 Plymouth K-car Reliant wouldn't get up the drive at our house. I had to push the car.

Personally since owning both I prefer FWD in the snow. But I'd take a new RWD Monte any day of the week.

Old 02-09-2010 | 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

they need to make a monte that falls in the middle of the maros line up above the v6 yet below the ss, maybe with a supercharger on the maros v6,

i personally love RWD i love having the back come around its so much fun to drive but i like my fwd monte it goes great in snow but if they do make another it needs to be retro & rwd

Quick Reply: Rwd...