General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Repair Costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Default Repair Costs

Can anyone give me a price range on these repairs, I found out the sunroof is going to be looked at monday, and the power steering is tomorrow.

Repairs:

- Rust around rear wheel wells

- Sunroof not working, the motor just spins and doesn't move the sunroof

- Power steering is going bad, it's hard to turn the car when braking and when moving slow.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

wheel wells is a hard job and some places won't even touch it, and if they do you could be looking almost $2k

How's the PS Fluid?

I have no sunroof, can't help there!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
wheel wells is a hard job and some places won't even touch it, and if they do you could be looking almost $2k

How's the PS Fluid?

I have no sunroof, can't help there!
How is the wheel well a hard job? It's very small amounts of rusting going on on the quarter panel around the rear wheel wells.

There's no easy way for me to check the PS fluid because chevy asked a 2nd grader where they should put it.

But our mechanic said it shouldn't be using PS fluid so there's probably something wrong in there. I think I'm looking around $100-150 for the Power Steering. Just my guess.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by brendan127
How is the wheel well a hard job? It's very small amounts of rusting going on on the quarter panel around the rear wheel wells.
Because shops are reluctant to do rust work. I'm just telling you the truth, a lot of people get the estimate and it is very high. Mine are probably worse than yours and I am waiting because I know it will be expensive and I plan on having the car fully repainted again in the future, so I might as well get new quarter panels and paint those at the same time.

There's no easy way for me to check the PS fluid because chevy asked a 2nd grader where they should put it.
You can take the alternator off and reach down.

But our mechanic said it shouldn't be using PS fluid so there's probably something wrong in there. I think I'm looking around $100-150 for the Power Steering. Just my guess.
Sometimes the fluid gets a little low, especially in the winter time it can get a little nasty. Some people just turkey baster some out of the reservoir and then drop fresh in and they are fine.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think they tend to stay away from rust work because usually once you get rid of rust, it will eventually come back, no matter what.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Rust repair is easy to do much rather do that than put new quarters on, new quarters will cost u way more to do & dont even think of anything but GM quarters unless u dont want ur body lines to match

Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Rust repair is easy to do much rather do that than put new quarters on, new quarters will cost u way more to do & dont even think of anything but GM quarters unless u dont want ur body lines to match
Yeah, I noticed the rear fenders are a part of the cab.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My PS fluid was low but we changed it completely in the 05. Before we changed it, it wasn't hard to turn but when I made a sharp turn I would here this weird noise. After it was changed I haven't heard that noise again.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
My PS fluid was low but we changed it completely in the 05. Before we changed it, it wasn't hard to turn but when I made a sharp turn I would here this weird noise. After it was changed I haven't heard that noise again.
Did it sound like a whale? Lol, I'm serious

But, on the topic of rust, the rust that's there right now doesn't bother me a whole lot, except where it's flaking on the inside of the wheel well but most people who just see the car going down the road aren't going to notice that.
I just want to make sure these small amounts of rust aren't going to turn into massive holes as long as I keep my car clean.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM

15 Year Member

Maybe you can just clean it up and hit it with some black POR-15?

Quick Reply: Repair Costs