General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Refresh This Old Man's Memory

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Refresh This Old Man's Memory

Howdy and Merry Christmas to all y'all!
Being an old dude who loves and pampers his Monte, please refresh my memory on recommended minimal use maintenance rules. My Darlin' still only has 55k and is always garaged (attached). Purchased in Las Cruces, and used in central Texas, there are no visible rust or electrical connection issues. How much should I run her and how often to avoid problems and since it would take a over a year to get 5k on the oil, how often should it be changed? Should I over or under pressure the tires? Would gas treatment be advised? I realize that the answers are surely common knowledge in this outstanding community, but I'm truly lucky to remember I am a member here...

Thanks in advance and Peace to you all, Ken

Old 12-20-2014, 12:28 PM

^ Is that your garage ? ? ?

^^^Hi `Ken,
Welcome back home to the MCF!
First, I am not a tech or mechanic...

Do you still have your owner's manual ? There is a maintenance chart in your book.

If you don't have it (?) > Click on Owner's Manual below
* Note it's PDF>

Owner's Manual 387 pages

I suggest finding a local garage that has a good reputation & have them inspect your Monte. Check with your friends/associates for references.

If your Monte was mine, I would change the oil & filter every 4 months (Oil is a less expensive investment then a new engine)
A engines oil gets contaminates & moisture from infrequent use.

I also would make sure you change all fluid `if they have not been (Brake, power steering, anti freeze, transmission & filter) Check all belts & hoses for cracks/wear) Flush the system.

Keep your tires at recommended pressure. I would also move your car at least once a month so your tires do not flat spot from sitting for long periods of time.

Also have your battery checked & if it sits for long periods, I would hook up a battery tender to keep it charged up.

I hope the above gave you some idea's, but please check back to see what our expert/experience member's suggest.

Good Luck & we wish you a safe & Happy Holidays & a Safe & Happy Chevrolet Monte Carlo

`Don, also check out the below that was complied by our MCF Administrator `Mike

Last edited by Space; 12-20-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I put roughly 4k on mine a year. I change my oil twice a year, put fuel stabilizer in it over the winter when it is put away, and I don't mess with my tires. I have been storing it 4 years now doing this and haven't had any problems.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I put roughly 3k on mine a year and it gets stored winters from November to April.

As far as fluids go, I change the oil just once a year and that is done the day it goes into storage. I do it then so I have fresh oil and not used oil with gunk/deposits sitting in the engine for 5 months. I fill the gas tank with fresh gas and add stabilizer the day it goes into storage too. Air in the gas tank is your enemy, as any air in the tank allows an area for the air to condense (forming water) which, as a result, gets into the gas, so you want the tank full when the car is going to be sitting for any length of time.

Regarding tires, last winter was like Antarctica here so the psi in the tires dropped into the low-mid 20s during storage. This year, I maintained the tire pressure at 45 psi when it went into storage, allowing more than enough to compensate for the temp drop, however I run the tires around 40-45 psi during the summer anyway. Today's tires are better than what was used in, say, the 1960s so over inflating the tires is not really necessary, though it is a good idea to maintain at least the manufacture's psi specs while it sits.

I install my battery tender and car cover, both of which are left on the car during storage. Other than occasionally checking on it, I do not start or run the car at all during storage; it just sits. The car has started right away, first crank every spring.

Being that you're in Texas, I assume you're not going nearly as long without use?

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 12-20-2014 at 05:52 PM.