General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Recall Fix caused new problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Default Recall Fix caused new problems

Way back before any Chevy recalls on the "key turns off" problem, I had that problem with my 2001 SS.

The car worked fine but sometimes when you turned it off, it wouldn't turn back on. I was stranded in many a place as the issue came and went.

First they thought it was the passcode, then they finally replaced the ignition. Not a days problem since.

Until Chevy sent out the recall stating the keys needed to be replaced. In August 2016, I had my car serviced prior to leaving CA for NM. Today I jumped into the car to go somewhere and car wouldn't start. Tried several times, waited 10 minutes, tried again. Nothing. Called AAA, they came out and the car started right up, just like the last time.

Called the local Chevy dealership and they said the car is considered "fixed" now that the keys have been replaced, but the keys have started the problem over again. I'm paying to recode the keys AND a diagnostic (total, about $200) because Chevy says it's not responsible.

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

When I went in for the "turn off" recall they didn't replace the key, they just made the key ring hole smaller by filling some of the opening.

Last month my wife's 03 cavalier was stalling (turning off) and not wanting to start, replace fuel filter, then the fuel pump, still had the intermittent problems. Was thinking ignition was next, but I bought a vin # cut key and no return of the problem since.
Last week after lunch the Monte didn't want to start. It has done it again a few times, usually after lunch, when it sits for around a hour. I bought a vin cut key yesterday and tried to start it several times, after a hour or so. First try with new key was a stall and a hard start, but it seems to be smoothing out now.

Don't know if any of this is helpful, but thought I'd share what I was experiencing

Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Default Interesting

I would assume they gave me "vin # keys" as new keys, but I will purchase those just to see. Thanks for the info!

PS: Dealership thinks it's battery related...how could that be?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

when you went in about recall, did they ask for your keys or the vin #?
mine just took my key and made the hole smaller, I thought I would get a new key, but on the recall it listed options, so I guess mine got the cheapest option